Bass stand recommendations?

Any suggestions? I just started playing, and my mom wants to know what to get me for Christmas. I’d like a stand, but I’m unsure what to tell her to get.

TIA

KeithW

5 Likes

I like the Hola Music stands. You can get them on Amazon. They’re reasonably priced and very good quality.

4 Likes

I just use the On-stage ones from sweetwater. They’re solid enough for home use and are like $12 which was nice when i needed 3 of them. Though for a christmas gift you might want to go for a slightly better quality one like Hola or Hercules.

5 Likes

I have 2 K&M’s. Not the cheapest but I love them

3 Likes

This is what I got for my multiple basses. Very inexpensive and portable.

5 Likes

I have one of these, cheap, well made.

Would recommend if you are in the market for a floor stand.

4 Likes

Oh I like that, it’s compact.

5 Likes

There’s almost no chance of needing just one. I can sell you my double if @PamPurrs will sell me her triple.

I like the latch at the top in earthquake country. The whole thing could fall over, but I can’t secure everything.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GtrStdDuo--on-stage-stands-gs7253b-b-duo-flip-it-double-stand

5 Likes

Yeah, earthquakes are why I am not doing wall hangers.

5 Likes

I don’t think these standard stands are so well suited for bass guitars - I always find that the bass sits somewhat “crooked” in them (most bass bodies are a bit asymmetric), especially if you want to make sure that the neck touches that rubber pad at the apex (which you want).

And, as someone else already said, there is a good chance you will eventually have more than one bass, and then these types of stands start to use up more space. I am happy with these rack types here, which come in different sizes (for 3, 5, 7, … guitars/basses):

9 Likes

That is a good point, I just needed something as I am pretty new. My Bass (TRBX 304) sits well in it, but I can imagine that these are useless for different body types. That 3 guitar rack looks good, consider one myself if I get a collection going :smiley:

4 Likes

The Gravity stands are pretty good. The Solo might indeed need some tweaking depending on the body type, but as the branches can be adjusted, it works good enough.

That being said, who wants to own only one bass? :sweat_smile:

One other point to consider is that stands with foam padding might not be appropriate for basses with nitrocellulose finish (older or vintage basses mostly).

And remember… If you build it, they will come.

Proud owner of a Gravity Vari-G 5 :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Sure, fine, go ahead and shame me :slight_smile:

(I actually do kind of want just one bass and guitar - first it was space, now it’s that I like the idea of trimming down and focusing)

7 Likes

Marie Kondo style :grinning:

6 Likes

No shaming intended @howard :wink:
I like your approach, even if I’m unable to do so myself :heart:

… maybe one day… maybe…

6 Likes

haha no worries, and I do have two now after all :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Ah, yes, I was just wondering whether I missed you selling one… :wink:

Seriously though, limiting yourself to only one bass might require not just a zen attitude, but also being sure that you could play all styles you ever wanted with that one bass… :smile:

5 Likes

True. That’s why I like versatile basses with active EQ on the bass :slight_smile:

And sadly why a BB734A would probably be a better choice for me than a BB Peter Hook Signature, if I ever did want to replace my TRBX - it’s just (slightly) more versatile than the BBPH.

4 Likes

Everything goes… I’ve seen black metal bands with jazz basses :grin:

4 Likes

I really like this Hercules stand. It’s pricey but it doesn’t have the downside of the bass sitting lopsided like with most stands.

Hercules Stands GS414B PLUS Single Guitar Stand with Auto Grip System | Sweetwater

5 Likes