Bass String Changing - Any Expert Advice For A First-Timer?

Ya but he modded the crap out of his (for some reason). I can’t see it, buy a signature bass for what it is then mod it to what it ain’t.
Weird but it worked for him I guess.

3 Likes

Like a modded Dingwall, lol.

4 Likes

Yeah exactly. Kind of impossible to take a guy seriously that buys a Nolly and mods it to sound like a J-bass :rofl:

Even aside from the crustacean schtick.

1 Like

I’m Lobster, and today we’re taking this vintage Rickenbacker and putting a P pickup in it. We won’t need this bridge pickup so let’s just get that right out of the way.

3 Likes

The ironic thing is that I would actually be a fan of him if he just stopped trying to cast what he does as “reviews”.

As a modder and someone that loves to tinker and play he is fine and a fun watch. As a reviewer, IMO he is tragically bad, based on the ones I have seen.

2 Likes

It’s actually easy to remedy: don’t watch him. He won’t mind. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

… with the dopey, sweaty claw shtick.

1 Like

Duh :slight_smile:

1 Like

Duh, indeed.

Replace the E first, and if you need to cut them, leave about (EDIT) 1 1/2"; Fender tuners. (G&L actually)I just cut at the next peg.
Get an Ernie Ball peg winder (about $15)
I have a Musician Nomad, but I think the Eb is slightly nicer.
Go slow, be patient; it’s not rocket science!
Manbun Metal has a nice tutorial on setting string height.
Maybe after you do height, you’ll feel comfortable enough to set the intonation.

2 Likes

I would leave at least two inches to get an adequate wind. YMMV.

Unless you have locking tuners of course, but I have never seen a bass with them.

3 Likes

I do 4”. 5” if A or E on the thicker vintage tuning pegs.

6 Likes

Yep, you’re right, closer to 1 1/2"
I cut them at the next peg

Wow, that’s a lot! I would side with Howard and say 2 inches (and change) is a good length :smile:

4 Likes

I follow the advice of Mark Smith. Works perfectly.

2 Likes

It’s pretty much 2 to 3 inches (it looks like)… it’s just that not every bass has the Fender layout with all the tuning pegs in a row :wink:

Anyway, it’s not an exact science. I guess if your string ever comes off or loose, you’ll use a bit more of it the next time :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Yep, generally, 2-3 inches past the peg you aim to string gets you where you need to be to make the cut.

1 Like

First, a big thank you to everyone for your advice and encouragement.
Yes, I did it. I successfully changed the strings on my new Squier Classic Vibe '60s Jazz Bass. The D’Addario Flat Wound ECB81 Chromes are so very smooth and silky.
I used the Mark Smith - Talking Bass video to help guide me through the process. It got easier with each string I changed.
One of our dogs, Zooey, also inspected and approved of the work that I did.

However, she did bring up the question about when I should put the D’Addario NYXLs on my Fender Player Jazz Bass. (She said that the current 'E" string sounds like it lost a little bit of oomph compared to the A, D, and G strings.)

8 Likes

Good job!
Next you’ll be setting intonation and string height!

4 Likes

Which one is your favorite? The Squier or the Fender?