Bass String Changing - Any Expert Advice For A First-Timer?

Both. This is sort of like asking a parent to pick their favorite child.
I already love my Fender that I have had since August. I only got the Squier yesterday, but my initial impression is that I love this one too. (I suppose that I could quote Peter LeFleur from Dodgeball “…we don’t know who our best player is yet. We’ve only had one game.”)
I’m thoroughly impressed with the quality of the Squier right out of the box.
I played both basses today and each one put a smile on my face.

3 Likes

The look on that dog’s face is priceless!

3 Likes

Love me some Dodgeball!

“If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball!”

I’ve watched that flick more times than I care to say. Just so stupid and too damn funny.

2 Likes

I have an appreciation for brilliantly crafted stupidity. My all time favorite movie is Zoolander and Dodgeball is a close second.

2 Likes

Both Ben Stiller flicks. And Ben is a bona fide master of the stupidly funny.

1 Like

Tropic Thunder certainly bears that out :rofl:

Massively underrated movie. Definitely Tom Cruise’s best role.

2 Likes

Absolutely! Loved Tropic Thunder!

Tom Cruise is actually an unfettered mofo! He was great in this.

2 Likes

whole cast is amazing

5 Likes

Yesss!!!^^^

Do not cut too short, at least 4 inches.

measure mine past the tuning peg with this professional quality tool… :joy:

approx 3.5" and conveniently holds quite a lot of picks :joy:

2 Likes

Being a retired teacher (39 years, high school, Detroit) and having changed strings countless times since I started playing in 1976, I would love to be able to show you, in person, how I change strings on my bass, set intonation, and set string height……plus how I do any truss rod adjustments if necessary. Interacting with a live person is a better learning experience than a YouTube video. Hopefully, you could find such a person at a local music store, etc. Good luck! By the way, I only use D’Addario Chromes. :+1:……Also, please don’t do the string stretch thing….pushing down a little to get a bend at the saddle, yes. Yanking on the strings like a crazy archer is………….unnecessary and ridiculous. It makes me cringe seeing that done in YouTube videos. I’ve never done that and my strings have always settled in nicely.

3 Likes

My favourites for this sort of comedy was the Airplane and Naked Gun Movies. I could watch these movies over and over again.

2 Likes

This! :smile:
Quite often put fresh strings on after I’ve bought a used bass, never once stretched a string, just let them settle in themselves and retune every so often

3 Likes

Surely you can’t be serious?

2 Likes

Hear, hear.

1 Like

Yanking on them is silly but gently stretching them a little will accelerate tuning stability. It’t not required and obviously YMMV, but there is also a reason it is generally recommended in my experience.

4 Likes

:muscle:

Thanks, I’ll stick with string, stretch, and not have to retune more than normal :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What would that reason be?

2 Likes