Bass Volume Knob Setting

Is there a preferred setting that anyone knows about for the Bass volume control.

I do not ever recall seeing a mention of where the volume knob on the Bass should be set.
I am not talking about for Heavy Metal Punk or the like just what I call normal music.

I usually set mine at around 3/4 and then control the rest of the volume output with the gain and master volume knobs on my Rumble 100, which at home are usually set at around the 1/4 mark for practice, or less.

4 Likes

I don’t see a reason of having it anywhere but maxed out unless you want to control volume for dynamic purposes of the song.

9 Likes

@Noisembryo

I understand and only set mine at 3/4 because I do not like cranking anything up full.

4 Likes

Are you talking about the knob settings on the Rumble 100 or your bass?

There really are no “preferred” settings, @Celticstar . . . it’s just the tone and volume YOU want to hear for wherever you are playing . . . :slight_smile:

Cheers
Joe

6 Likes

@Jazzbass19

On the Bass.

I once saw a YouTube video on optimal settings, on the amp and a Les Paul guitar, to get the best Blues sound out of a Les Paul and that opened my eyes a lot to tone shaping at both the guitar and amp end of things. I have looked and cannot find that video any more.
It is amazing how you can change the sound by learning about the different controls both on your instrument and amp, and how they interact. Edited-See my post #20 for the link

I have never in 40+ years of playing guitar relied on pedals to shape my tone and have never had an issue. The only pedals I own are: 1 - In-line tuner (which I only purchased several months ago, when I took up the Bass, because my headstock tuner did not care for the lower Bass frequencies) , 2 - 99 Channel looper (BossRC30), and 3 - a Blues Overdrive that I have only used on guitar (so far). Not sure if it will even work on lower frequencies but that is a topic for a different thread.

6 Likes

For passive, just leave it wide open, it’s only an attenuator.

For an active preamp, yeah, you want to balance output with preamp noise. Luckily the preamp in your 504 is a good one :slight_smile:

6 Likes

OK, @Celticstar . . . I have my neck pickup (bass) set at 100% . . . bridge pickup at ~80% and I vary the tone, but usually have it set at ~80%

But that’s just MY settings . . . :slight_smile:

You may or may not like them, and I might or might not like yours. So much depends on the venue, the type of music you’re playing, and playing style, that there’s really no single answer.

Cheers
Joe

6 Likes

The volume setting on active basses might have some impact on certain pedals, but that’s something very specific. It might as well cause some clipping if you’re using a DAI, but again, this only happens with certain hardware configurations.

5 Likes

@howard

That is what I wanted to know.

I had never thought of that. Thank You for mentioning it.

So far the 504 has not been out of passive mode.
With the 504 in passive and my foam block on the bridge I am happier than a pig in sh!t for tone.

6 Likes

@Krescht

More useful information. Thank You.
I cannot believe how much more I have learned since taking up the Bass several months ago.
There has to be a light at the end of the tunnel for all this additional knowledge.

5 Likes

@Jazzbass19

I hear you.
Every thing in music and equipment is so subjective.

4 Likes

Well . . . there ya go, then :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is the only thing that matters.

To your original question, their are too many factors to be able to say one setting would work for everybody. For instance, my jazz bass has really hot pickups and at 100% it’s very different than other jazz basses I’ve played that have pickups that aren’t as hot which would also be very different than your humbucker pickups at full volume.

3 Likes

6 Likes

on all the basses but the Sire I keep it full…the sire overdrives the amp at full volume even in passive mode so I back it off to about 8 to keep the amp cleaner

3 Likes

On my (passive) Cort Action PJ, I’m getting some weird harmonics/overtones (not quite sure how to describe it) with the pickup volume at 100%. Rolling the volume down just a bit cleans that up for some reason.

4 Likes

Glad to hear you say that, Eric @eric.kiser . . . Sweetwater just got in some new Am Pro II P-basses and J-basses, and I’ve been on a wait list.

(I think my GAS is coming back :wink: )

Cheers and wishing you continued happiness with your new Jazz!

Joe

3 Likes

@Mike_NL

Thank you so much for posting this.

I was sure that cranking the volume to 100%, even in passive mode, all the time was not always going to be good for everybody.

So I guess if I answer my original question myself I would have to say that the proper volume level AT THE BASS would be as high as possible without introducing issues.

5 Likes

I would add that for a JBass, there are two volumes, and the volume is how you blend the pickups. So you might backoff one of the volumes depending on what you are looking for.

Some of the PJ basses like the Jaguar are the same way.

3 Likes

@Wombat-metal

That should make for a lot of tone options.

My Les Paul also has 2 volume and 2 Tone knobs but also has a separate pickup selector switch.

Earlier in post #5 I mentioned a video I have been looking for for a long time that has the best explanation I could find on how these all interact to achieve many different tones.
I finally found that video link and here it is. Keep in mind that this guy is only using the Les Paul straight into and amp. No pedals/stomp boxes or whatever you want to call them just a Les Paul into a Cable into an amplifier and and the amp settings never change.

I realize this is a guitar not a Bass but the point is that so much can be accomplished with basic equipment if people would only learn what the controls and interactions can accomplish on there instruments and amps.

1 Like