Welcome.

3 Likes

Welcome, @paula . . . :slight_smile:

Glad to have you here with us!

Cheers, Joe

3 Likes

Welcome @paula!

3 Likes

Thank you very much for the welcome everyone! Thereā€™s so much to explore here. Iā€™m loving it, that there are Bass guitar lovers all in one place! :grinning:

3 Likes

Yes, I noticed thereā€™s so much information! Iā€™m exploring like crazy, but I also realize I have to pace myself.

P.S. I started as a drummer also

Cool that you started in drums too! Iā€™ve loved listening to them both in music at home since I was little. Iā€™d even listen to their individual parts and mimic them in my head, then with my hands when I didnā€™t have access to the ā€˜realā€™ instruments at all.

3 Likes

Funny isnā€™t it. I didnā€™t realize until I was a bit older, in my late teens, that I enjoyed them not just because of how they sound, but also because how ā€˜groundedā€™ they are in their own way in a band ā€“ like supports. It kind of matched my personality and how I live my life too, sort of more low-key/not in the spotlight much, but always there ā€“ if that makes any sense. :smiley:

4 Likes

I think knowing drums some gives you a bit of an edge. Should make it a bit easier to lock in with the drummer. When the drummer and bass are locked in a groove, good things happen.

Similarly, if you can recognize the basic guitar chords visually (or audibly) that helps lock with the rhythm guitar (or lead if there is just one).

4 Likes

Ha, to someone who, on stage, always wore black, played a black bass, and positioned himself where the light donā€™t shine, left of the drummer (on the hi-hat side), it does!
ā€œAs long as they can hear me, Iā€™m good.ā€ :laughing:

5 Likes

LOL! My Bass is all-black too (Squier Precision Jazz)!
Iā€™m not a music performer, but Iā€™m the same as you in my line of work re invisibility/wearing Black. Fortunately itā€™s actually one of the key job requirements to be stealthy ā€“ to not be seen or heard (Iā€™m a photographer in Film/TV, and also a Concert photographer).
Sometimes it can be quite a challenge photographing all the band members ā€“ especially the bass players and drummers! So youā€™re one of those challenging bassists on the drummerā€™s left side eh? Ha! Yep, that would be even harder to see you for sure. That, with the crazy stage lighting (especially red lights, the ā€˜nemesisā€™ of many a photographer! :rofl: ).
The bass player would definitely have to be waaay ā€˜out thereā€™ closer to the front or moving around a lot for me to even get a fighting chance of a great shot! :smile:

4 Likes

Regarding the Poll, I understand that not everyone on the site voted, but Iā€™m still fascinated by how many votes, so far, are from those over age 45! That, and also how many are new to playing! My goodness. I just realized how much of a comfort that is to see. The bass is the second venture Iā€™d taken on in ā€˜mid-lifeā€™ (also added a second career) and Iā€™m enjoying it all! :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Me too, @paula . . . :slight_smile:

Thatā€™s one of the reasons I started the poll . . . thanks for voting, and I hope that all the other newcomers will vote as well.

Cheers, Joe

4 Likes

Itā€™s been 30 days since anyone participated in this poll, and I know weā€™ve had a passel of new members since then. Come on everyone!

Hey Joe @Jazzbass19 how can we see the latest poll results?

7 Likes

Iā€™ve just taken part :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Hey, Pam @PamPurrs . . . :slight_smile:

If you have already voted, just go to the TOP of the thread to see the results.

If anyone has NOT voted yet, hereā€™s the link: Bassbuzz Demographics (a poll)

Thanks to everyone for participating!

Cheers, Joe

3 Likes

It only shows results from 3 of the questions. I know there were a lot more than that.

4 Likes

Iā€™m sorry you had to put up with the criticism.
I think this pole was just some light hearted fun and not meant to be taken seriously.
Given that I hardly think it matters how accurate it is.
I for one appreciate your efforts and didnā€™t take it too seriously.

7 Likes

Still nobody having checked in from Africa. I could have sworn Iā€™ve seen a couple people in the Introduce Yourself thread from Africa. Maybe Iā€™m mistaken.

Edit: I found one personā€¦ @daveleigh27

5 Likes

Soon to be 51. Live in The United States, never played before.

6 Likes

Welcome @Kopusetic. Where in the states?

4 Likes

Iā€™m in Ohio. About 30 minutes west of Columbus.

5 Likes