BassBuzz Setup Video, Focus Group Please!

No definitely not bragging, just fun. I’m a tradesman just like you, so no I’m not rich. We all make choices in life. I chose not to have children and you chose to have 3.

Neither of these decisions is right / wrong, just different. I just googled the cost of raising a child in the USA up to the age of 18. It said $300K per kid. I’m still OK with my choice.

3 Likes

As someone with no real experience setting up a bass, I think the bass is fantastic. I love how you break it down into five clear steps. Maybe the only thing I would want to hear a little more about is the notion of filing the edges frets, and when than should be done. (I assume that’s some thing you would get a luthier to do).

5 Likes

Welcome to the world of fret sprout. :slightly_smiling_face:

Side your finger along the edges of the neck where the fretboard wood meets the actual wood of the neck. If it does not feel smooth you may have fret sprout. You can fix this yourself. The only thing you may need is some kind of guard to protect the finish on the bass when you ar filing/sanding.

There are numerous YouTube videos on doing this. :+1:

7 Likes

Yep. There’s a special file you can buy that makes this easier as well.

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-and-supplies/types-of-tools/files/fret-end-dressing-file/

5 Likes

@peter.hanus it’s a relatively simple job that you can do yourself. Both @howard and I are big fans of learning to do basic setups and simple maintenance yourself. You can also take the money you’ve saved on a guitar tech (as well as learning how your bass works) and buy more gear :wink:

Fret sprout is an odd term that you’ll hear. It doesn’t mean that the metal is growing like a plant. Rather that the neck has dried out and shrunk slightly giving the feeling that the fret ends have ‘sprouted’ out.

If you’re ever looking for ‘How to’ videos then Phil McKnight from the Know Your Gear channel is a good start.

5 Likes

Thanks @Barney , @howard and @Celticstar ! As an owner of a fairly old house, I’m all for do-it-yourself and saving money where you can. I’ll look into all this.

3 Likes

@JoshFossgreen I took the plunge and not only did a complete setup but took the opportunity to replace my cheapo bridge.

I’ll admit I was pretty nervous at first. I thought my neck needed adjustment. Turns out it was an intonation problem though.

Although I have a luthier kit, I didn’t use anything except for the ruler.

I followed your directions step by step and had no issues whatsoever!

Setting intonation wasn’t difficult but it was time consuming. Sometimes two strings would be about the same sharpness, but one might take a 1/8th turn to fix and the other close to two turns.

I suspect part of it is due to the thickness of the strings, but also maybe the tiny lollypop tuners which I don’t think are very good. J&D Short Scale JB.

I echo what some of the others said…

Tune and detune I think are a must.

Show all of the steps as you are setting up the guitar. Speed things up as you are doing repetitive steps like tuning/detuning maybe to save some time (if that is a concern).

I also took the time to condition my frets and boil my strings. Might point out that inspecting your strings might be a good thing to do.

I’ve watched numerous videos about bass setup, but yours made the most sense to me.

Thanks for creating the video, Josh! My Blue Baby is very happy now!

4 Likes

Sound waves are also different lengths (aka string wave length). It’s normal.

4 Likes

I wish I realized this was posted here last night! I did my own setup for the first time in YEARS and sweated through the whole thing. :joy:

4 Likes

Annnnnd today my truss rod in the bass I just set up has rebelled, so I guess it’s back to the dining room table with the bath towels and the hex keys! :wink:

5 Likes

Ha, I use bath towels too. You know we’re taking this seriously if we invest in some guitar mats.

5 Likes

My neck support is a rolled up old hand towel with tape around it and my officially licensed fretboard oiling cloth is a 20 year old white t-shirt. It is a very fancy setup. :rofl:

6 Likes

Mine is 15 years old. :rofl:

5 Likes

Great video @JoshFossgreen and thanks for doing it. I’ll just defer to the other’s comments and suggestions.
(Sorry for missing this, I think I may have still been in ICU when you posted this.)

4 Likes

After watching this video, I became inspired to finally replace the broken tuning peg, and install the set of GHS Bass Boomers on my Yammie BB735. I’ve been putting it off for quite some time. Of course I’ll also check the setup. Thanks for the motivation @JoshFossgreen !

9 Likes

Mine was white when I bought it…

3 Likes

To anyone who followed this thread - the official setup vid is live, with all the forum family feedback integrated:

Thanks for the help! This thread really helped me feel confident I was making the best setup vid possible.

12 Likes

Great video @JoshFossgreen and @Gio ! This will be my goto video when I’m doing maintenance on my basses.

4 Likes

Another great video. Concise, well articulated, and really informational. I really liked the use of the pick of Destiny, so i tried to store mine where my pick goes (under the bottom side of the bridge pick-up ) but it didn’t fit.
As for the video? No notes. Another home run.

3 Likes

Yes! I started doing this on my old p-bass, when I was trying to get the action low enough for it to clank without having to whale on the strings all the time.

Prior to that, I was dicking around with measurements from the Fender manual and so forth. I don’t even really measure at the seventh for neck relief anymore. I just get it as straight as I can w/o buzz. The only place where I do actually still measure is pickup height.

It helps that I want my p-bass to clank (SH fanboi) and the Peaveys can have super low buzzless action. I also generally play pretty lightly and don’t normally lay into the strings.

3 Likes