Battery Drain in Active Bass

I agree. I personally don’t like active basses, I’d rather just let the amp and whatever effects pedals I have do their job. Unfortunately, this bass is active and I just have to live with it.

2 Likes

If you love your bass basic after this is over you could change pickup’s PUP’s to passive, or … but that’s a whole other rabbit hole :slight_smile: Pam

2 Likes

If it has passive pickups (which it probably does) then you could install an active/passive switch.

Active preamp is not the same as active pickups. Both of my basses have active EQ but passive pickups, it’s common.

3 Likes

I have the same bass @PamPurrs has and it does indeed have passive pickups. Once things settle down a bit I’m planning on taking it to my guitar guru and asking him to add a passive bypass switch. Probably a push/pull volume switch.

4 Likes

@howard and @joeike Thanks for posting about this. I’ve been wondering this very thing and how hard it would be to add an active/passive switch. Questions answered before I even asked. Nice. :+1:

2 Likes

Let us know how that goes and how much it costs. Since you and I have the same bass, that’ll give me a benchmark.

1 Like

I will.

2 Likes

should not be crazy expensive. on an electronic point of view, it’s extremely simple.

3 Likes

That’s my hope! :grin:

2 Likes

I took it to my guitar guy and it turns out this bass does not have passive pickups. Sigh

3 Likes

Bummer!

2 Likes

Mine drained even though i left the switch on passive,but with the lead plugged in. Now i remove the lead each time but like others have said am worried that it will loosen or damage the jack connection over time.

3 Likes

@Vik loctite blue is your friend. A tiny drop of that and your problem is solved. The blue is removable; don’t use the red version as it’s permanent (ask me how I know!).

You can normally use a small 10mm socket head to tighten the nut.

3 Likes

I second that remark. Use the BLUE loctite.

On the other hand if you don’t have loctite, a drop (a DROP, no more!) of white glue will work as well.

OTOH, there ain’t no loctite like a cross-thread :smiley:

3 Likes

So… How do you know? :rofl:

3 Likes

My battery drained when switched to passive, but as i had left the cable plugged in i am advised that this was the cause. Now i swich to passive and unplug the cable after use!

2 Likes

My TRBX 504 is always in the passive mode but thanks for the reminder about the low battery indicator LED, I had forgotten all about it.

1 Like

I have to change the battery on my sub4 quite often IMO
since I got it in Feb I’ve tossed 3, I always unplug from the amp when not in use :man_shrugging:t4: But I use it almost everyday also
The bass plays without battery, just not as loud (significantly less) so I got a small box of batteries

1 Like

Just to be sure: you need to unplug the cable from the bass. The on/off switch is in the output jack on the bass itself. Unplugging the cable from the amp doesn’t do anything if you leave it plugged in on the bass side.

2 Likes

If someone came up with a good tuner pedal that I could leave my cord plugged into without draining the battery I would buy it today.

2 Likes