BB434 vs Jaguar

I actually own a BB434. As others have said, the build quality is very good for the cost. The guitar is very well balanced, and I enjoy the fast neck. The only drawback for me is the pick ups are a little underwhelming. I also have a G&L L-2000 (favorite), and a MIA Fender P bass. These are triple the cost of the Yamaha, but I find myself reaching for one of these when it is time to play just because I get a better sound when I play them. Even though the BB434 is not my number one, I can’t see selling it at any future time. I actually leave it at my office so I can practice during down time. Eventually I may upgrade the pickups, whereas I couldn’t imagine having to change anything on the G&L or Fender. Hate to say it, but if I were going to get another bass tomorrow, I would give a hard look at a G&L SB-2 PJ. Please none of you tell my wife I said anything about getting another bass tomorrow. That was theoretical.

3 Likes

:rofl:

That’s interesting and good to know. FWIW the BB734A has different pickups than the BB434. Not sure why but there’s three different pups used in the BB’s; the 234 has ceramic YGD’s, the BB434 has AlNiCo YGD v5’s, and the BB734A and BBP34 have AlNiCo YGD v7’s.

4 Likes

I did, and it seems really nice, but no tone knob, thats a hard no from me.

We are here to support each others GAS, so no worries.

1 Like

I discovered quickly that there is a big difference between ceramic and alnico pickups. My TRBX 304 has ceramic pickups and no matter what I did I could not get the sound I wanted. I toyed with the idea of swapping out the pickups and adding different electronics with an active/passive switch but in the end decided for the cost and work involved it was just easier to buy the TRBX504 with everything included I wanted and keep the 304 as a backup.

For me it was a wise choice but remember that choosing a Bass is such a personal thing that nobody can really tell you which one is going to be the best Bass for you to get. :+1:

2 Likes

Yup ceramics have no dynamic range at all.

I always wanted a BB, even that one time it slipped right in front of my nose, that one Candy Red BB424. I prepared everything to go get it.

Well I guess now I decided it time to take a big leap. I love BB sound.

4 Likes

I love my BB734A. My only compliant is that the P-Pickups have a clicky plastic noise when Im playing finger style and hit them with my fingers. Im thinking it needs padding on the bottom of the pickups. or put some felt washers on the screws. Don’t know yet, but it does irk me. I could lower them a bit but don’t want to loose the great tone I got going at this height.

Any other ideas out there?

1 Like

As soon as you get that ‘I really want that one’ feeling’ the best thing to do is to just get it because in the end the chances are anything else will only be a compromise for what you want and you will always be thinking about it until in the end the chances are you do purchase it. Of course it is always wise to do some research after you get that feeling before you purchase. :slightly_smiling_face:

I realize that this approach may not be practical for a lot of individuals, if pricing is a major consideration, but how many people have purchased a Bass based on pricing and then either replaced it with a second or third or fourth one and still not been satisfied because they are still thinking about that ‘I really want that one’ Bass? IMHO purchasing based primarily on pricing can end up being quite costly and kind of defeats the idea of purchasing based on price alone.

3 Likes

This really is a thing.

There is one bass that I keep coming back to.
It’s probably inferior to the instruments I already own and aquiring it would make no practical sense.

And yet…

What are we like? :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Inferior is a state of mind. My favorite bass is a $300 used LTD Stream with a sticky pot. I have more expensive basses, basses that have better hardware, but none I’d rather play.

Your best bass is the one that makes smile as you play.

3 Likes

So what are you waiting for :joy: :joy: :joy:

2 Likes

Sounds like the bottom line to me :+1:

3 Likes

Little springs over the pickup screws. Will help keep the pickups in place and height can be left the same

3 Likes

They all do. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Problem solved!!! I just added some thin packaging “paper” (foam) inside the pickup cover. Tone is still amazing minus the plastic clicking. I should have done this AGES ago. So happy.

Thanks!

2 Likes

That’s why I have 5 basses on my stand. I was searching for what I prefer. In the end I figured I mostly like PJ setup and a bit wider at the nut neck. Sonically I think Yammy gives me exactly the growl I like, no pun intended.

I also love my Ray the most from my currently owned basses, but it’s sound just doesn’t fit everywhere.

2 Likes

I own the BB735A. - Amazing! I bought it because I had the 434 for a short time and didn’t want both. It’s great! It’s comfortable and it plays great!

3 Likes

It really is a truly great bass.

2 Likes

Better to use 1/8” (sorry metric folks) IV tubing. They sell it on Stew Mac and Amazon. The springs can create some sympathetic tone crapola (scientific-y term).

2 Likes

Oh well I thought I should give you an update on this.
It has been a little change of plans.

I successfully sold Squier PJ, and since recently I got official distributor of Fender in town and they are really nice fellas, also they have given me a really good offer on Jag.
I ordered it, should arrive middle of 2022 :neutral_face:

Finally a proper orange bass.

6 Likes

Magnets do not have a sound and most ceramics are not much different from alnico Vs. If a ceramic pup doesn’t sound good it’s not the magnet, it’s because it’s a poorly designed pup.

1 Like