Beginner Class of Winter 2021 - How is it going?

Jeez…end of module 11, beginning of module 12 is kicking my rear. I’m lucky if I can get through the slow workouts! :grimacing:

5 Likes

Hi @Wombat-metal,

I didn’t particularly like that bassline but really enjoyed the other lessons in module 4. So just try it a few times and then move on. Plenty of other cool stuff to come.

This sounds quite wonderful.

Hope it’s nothing too serious and you’ll recover soon.

On the bright side, the longer it takes to get through these modules the longer you get to spend with B2B. :wink:

4 Likes

Excellent point! On a side note I was just reviewing the bass and bass amp reviews. Great stuff, super informative, and a ton of work by Josh. I don’t think he gets paid enough…

3 Likes

Just did module 12 lesson 4 and it was awesome! Felt like I was playing Freebird! That’s my kind of bassline with a handful of powerful whole notes some short notes to keep things interesting.

4 Likes

Oh yes, that would be sooo helpful.

Getting my ass kicked right now. :sweat_smile: What is this? It doesn’t even look that hard…

5 Likes

Heh, the Higher and Higher bassline was indeed surprisingly hard for a three-note line. I kinda struggled with the fast workout, came back a couple of days ago after completing rest of the module, and did a bit better, though still stumbled occassionally when crossing strings with my plucking hand.

Anyway, enjoyed M8. The twelve-bar blues was maybe the most fun. Played it again yesterday, with the jam track. Now taking a week or two “off” and rehearsing what I’ve already learned/doing other bass stuff before continuing to M9.

6 Likes

I have just started module 13 and I’m suddenly starting to feel the “end of the line” anxiety !

This course has really completely revitalized my love of music.
I know it’s been done to death ,but a follow up course would magnetically suck the money out of my wallet the second it was created.
Having a blast!

3 Likes

I started feeling that same thing at the half way point. I slowed down and started going back and redoing lessons I just did so great on.

Here I am a little under 70% complete and I’m feeling it even more!! I don’t want it to end.

6 Likes

At the end ,though, badass-ery beckons!!!

And this will be the first course I’ve finished from start to end…

7 Likes

Hi, I started about two weeks ago, working on module 3 right now, having fun and looking forward to what’s coming. Love the jam tracks.
I never touched a bass until now, always loved the sound and versatility of the instrument but had procrastinated getting one forever… I’ve messed with guitar on and off for years, since there was one at home but never committed to it.
one day during lockdown I was looking at YouTube how to play a song on guitar, one video lead to another and then I saw this goofy guy talking bass, his lesson clicked right away, so I checked some of the other videos and it wasn’t a fluke, he could teach for real, I’ve watched countless guitar teaching videos and this was different, but maybe it was the bass not the teacher, so I checked other instructors and it was both. I decided to switch to instrument I really like and leave the one I had.
After some research and trips to the local stores (inventory is quite low around here) I settle on a bass and amp, bought B2B all on the same day.
I don’t have a timeline to complete the course, so far I’m moving quick but from reading here I’ll meet some speed bumps soon…really enjoy the camaraderie here too

13 Likes

Definitely looking forward to “BADASS-ery!!!”

2 Likes

I was not a total noob, having played with a band pre-pandemic, but definitely still in the throes of being a beginner. Playing with others was addictive and I wanted so badly to be better by the time this stuff ends and we can play together again. I watched about twenty of Josh’s (and a few of that other guy, Scott) YouTube videos and decided I too wanted to be a badass. I signed up at the beginning of February and I’m halfway through module 9 right now (just finished Roxanne) and already feel more prepared for my next jam session. These last couple lessons (diatonic chords) have really taken my shallow understanding of theory to a whole new depth.

7 Likes

Right On @Chillydave
The Roxanne lesson calls me back often. For what ever the reason is, I gravitate back to Module 9. All the best and keep us informed of your progress.

Cheers

Update: I can do the slow workout now! This was probably the first time I really had to sit down and study. Wrote down the beatruler myself and started very slowly, breaking it down into pieces, really trying to understand the rhythm.
What I love about B2B: There is a hard lesson like this one and you think that the following will be even harder, but then it isn’t. Good mix of challenge and a bit of relaxation. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Just worked on My Sharona (Mod 12, Lesson 3 me thinks). Slow, fine. Medium, pretty OK. Fast/regular pace…holy crap!!! It’s amazing to watch someone skilled like @JoshFossgreen play, because it looks so effortless. He’s just like playing, no wasted movement, chatting away. So impressive…one day I’ll get there, I hope…

2 Likes

It’s all a matter of practice and experience. Learning bass is no different than say, learning to eat, or run, or type. We can inherently do things like breathing, but most things we have to put some effort in to learn.

So, yeah, looking at what Josh does it pretty amazing. But it’s pretty similar to a toddler looking at someone running across a field or being able to get food in their mouth without dropping any on the floor or getting it all over their face… Not that you are a toddler, but you know what I mean. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Yep, even though I hate it, 10,000 hours right?

1 Like

Only if you believe Gladwell, which no one does :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Depends how effective each hour of practice is for you. :wink:

Just think of it as 10,000 hours of fun. I talk about it on another thread, but I try to do 1/3rd theory/technique, 1/3rd cover practice/transcribing, 1/3rd song-writing/improv. It works for me. Before I just messed around and played the same things over and over each practice.

2 Likes