Best bassline rankings

Yep. And Kirsty McColl :pensive:

3 Likes

Man I still smile about Kirsty’s work with Shane MacGowan. Big loss there too.

3 Likes

So sad :disappointed:
I always think about the Christmas song they did too @howard

1 Like

No way this could be complete without some Black Sabbath :sweat_smile:

1 Like

@howard absolutely agreed re: Peter Hook and Patricia Morrison.

4 Likes

First bass line I learned (pre-Bassbuzz) was Save A Prayer. John Taylor has some groovy lines. I would also vote for more Peter Hook!

3 Likes

not the BEST bassline, but lately i’ve loved the live version of fear the future with tokes just killing it on bass. she’s so tiny she looks like an ant playing a popsicle stick.

4 Likes

That song is why I ended up learning bass. Always loved the song then stumbled on this cover on YouTube randomly, and thought ‘I want to play that bassline’ and bought a bass.

6 Likes

It’s a really, really amazing bassline.

5 Likes

This is excellent. The bass playing and sound is glorious. This band too! I haven’t heard it in a long long time. Thanks for bringing it to the forum. I love it.

5 Likes

It’s one of my favorite basslines to play, even just noodling around. I play it a little differently for fun but there’s really no way to improve on the original.

4 Likes

Are they kidding?
No Love games???
What kind of ranking is this???

3 Likes

It’s more of a melody than a bassline, I guess :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Nice try :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
And of course vulfpeck Joe Dart and deantown

2 Likes

These lists are really just click bait - there will never be an ultimate list; on the one hand because people would never agree on one, and on the other hand because new cool basslines are being created all the time - and thanks to the higher powers for that :smile:

2 Likes

that video really makes the case that the bassline should be pushed up front in a lot of songs, just drives it.

4 Likes

Yeah! Totally. Fantastic driving bassline.

2 Likes

I just played the Songsterr isolated bass version of this while listening to a meeting on mute. The driving bassline made time pass very quickly. I might start doing it for every meeting. Thanks for reminding me of this song I hadn’t heard in years.

6 Likes

My fave bass line from the Motown genre is Wilton Felder’s on the Jackson 5 ‘I Want You Back.’ I’m not even a big J5 fan but this line and the one for ‘ABC’ is probably why I’m here.

Any other Motown/ Stax fans out there?

4 Likes

That is a great bass line indeed - but a tough one to play in that original tempo! My first bass teacher “made” me learn it and I was still a bleeding beginner… super tough, but very rewarding! (And I am not a motown fan otherwise…)

I have to admit that I had thought all along that this was a Jamerson line… thanks for clearing that up :smile:

3 Likes