Best bassline rankings

me i’m a fan!!! More in the Bob Babbitt camp than anything else but some of the most memorable lines came from motown and stax

1 Like

Hi @Tokyo_Rat agreed, I don’t know enough about each player but Felder, Jameson, Babbit, Carol Kaye are legends! Thought I just heard that BB played on 90% of the #1 Charting Motown singles for some period of time, that is amazing.

2 Likes

Hi @joergkutter, I can’t believe your bass teacher unleashed it on you so early into your education, ouch!

2 Likes

me and my best friend have often said if we were born 10 years earlier, we would have grown up stax kids instead of punk rock kids. btw the stax museum in memphis at the original location is a must see if you’re a fan, really inspiring. i love both stax and motown, but of the two i’m a much much bigger stax fan. also read the book respect yourself, great stories of those times and musicians.

Every time I hear “Stax” I think of the audiophile electrostatic headphone company here. Need to check out the style.

edit: Ok I had heard “Green Onions” of course. Had no idea this was a separate style :slight_smile:

2 Likes