Best metal bass riffs?

I need your help again!

It may or may not be time for a very METAL edition of a “iconic riffs” video, and I need your suggestions. Hit me with your favorite metal bass riffs!

And please god don’t make me play any Cannibal Corpse, I don’t have enough fingers lol.

I’ll start us off, I will never ever get tired of this intro bass riff:

(or any of the rest of the song)

12 Likes

Bass solo…take one…

8 Likes

Might I add “Phantom Of The Opera”? Or “The Red And The Black” Both from Maiden!

5 Likes

Welcome to the Jungle/GnR
The Trooper/Iron Maiden
N.I.B./Sabbath (or maybe Heaven and Hell)
Screaming for Vengeance/Judas Priest

No Cannibal Corpse, eh? How about Raining Blood, Angel of Death, or War Ensemble by Slayer?

4 Likes

I’ve been slowly picking away at this for a while. I’m nowhere near but…great riff

7 Likes

That’s a bass intro for you

Take it back, this is some of Cliff’s best work

10 Likes
4 Likes
5 Likes

Black Sabbath’s “Paranoid” has an interesting section in the middle.

6 Likes

Has to be a Geezer one, and NIB is a classic

10 Likes

Last one, I know too many. But the group that started metal

3 Likes

Aenima by Tool

4 Likes

I’d recommend something like this; https://youtu.be/zlLn0UicWrM?si=uHq2i6ffuwogDP0V

Frank Bello is a great bass player and this intro riff just slays.

Also this: https://youtu.be/nJMBPi7IXMA?si=cUpzehjsfo-HDZCe

Ian Hill is a very solid player, your prime bass player example; staying in the back and keeping it together while others can shine. The Rage is a rare example of Ian being prominent.

Last but not least; it does not get any more iconic than Dave Ellefson’s bass line from Peace Sells, if anyone are old enough to remember, MTV News used this intro riff.

7 Likes

White Zombie - Thunderkiss `65
The main riff was so tricky for me until I scribbled the beat with help of the beat ruler to understand what is going on. The riff that goes with the chorus is a nice constrast, very melodic.

White Zombie - Black Sunshine
That 6/8 riff against the 4/4 drums is something I still can’t play, using up/downstrokes with that 3 note pattern is a instant mess up for me.

Tool - Schism
Well, quite iconic. But also … well, maybe not quite metally?

4 Likes

Some great suggestions here and I would definitely go with early Sabbath.

Maybe also the bass riff in Roots by Sepultura (especially around 01:59)? This album totally gave metal a kick up the backside when it came out

3 Likes

Maybe I’m being too obvious, but this one will give your fingers a rest when you need one:

5 Likes

I was literally about to suggest this!

2 Likes

It occurred to me that its obviousness is what makes it “Iconic.” :crazy_face: :joy:

This one isn’t iconic, but it’s a fav of mine:

4 Likes

Agree that Sabbath and Maiden have to feature.

For something more modern, Ryan Martinie and Mudvayne were pretty distinctive and it’s a fun style to learn.

4 Likes

Yeah I was sticking to “Iconic” too, not “Best”.

If we can move past the iconic ones everyone knows then I have many things to say :rofl:

2 Likes