Best PJ basses

That is gorgeous @John_E I’m usually not a big black and white fan but this is very eye catching with the ebony fingerboard.

1 Like

If it wasn’t for the narrow nut, I would own this bass.

2 Likes

I also enjoy basses that bring something different, thats why I’m drooling over BB1024.
Yes these Squiers are different and interesting, but I’ve seen too many issues with them, and also I’ve done my share on cheapo basses. Especially after going through all of the Stingray range, I now know the difference.

SB2’s also are interesting but I’m looking for keeper this time.
If I had more funds I’d probably be in a mindset gotta have 'em all.

3 Likes

That’s also minus point from me, but man does it look good.

2 Likes

Yeah, the Best-of-both-Worlds thing is a myth.
I reckon you get the P sound with an option of dialling in some flavour from the bridge J, but it won’t do what a proper J-J can do.

1 Like

I have a black one of these on back order (apparently it’s being PLEK’d at the moment).
They definitely do the ‘P’ sound very well and feel great to play.

3 Likes

This is the one I have. It’s a beauty. Pretty damn heavy though (~12 lbs)

11 Likes

That is a furry beauty, however bit on heavier side :smiley:

Charvel San Dimas Pro Mod is a good PJ, I have owned a few and it is my favorite out of the ones I have had. The DiMarzio pickups realy give it a kick, and it has a super fast neck, and a lot of little features which are nice, like compound radius, truss wheel, roasted maple neck. For the money, this tops my list of PJs

2 Likes

Love everything about San Dimas except for the narrower neck width. I just have too many 1.5” nut if not the lime green would have been in my stable a long time ago, lol.

What’s the affiliation aside from being own by Fender?

1 Like

Not sure what you’re asking. Charvels are built by Fender in Mexico, not sure what other affiliation there is.

They do have rolled fret board edges. I gotta admit I sometimes wish I went for the green instead

1 Like

I spoke too soon 12 lbs is way too heavy for me. But it is a sweet looking bass! Looks like kitty cat approves! :grin:

Man, the 1024X and 2024 are hard to beat for that kind of bass. I think you should just go for it :slight_smile:

The 734A is really quite good for a more modern (or at least, still produced) version though. They should have kept its electronics for the BBP34, in which case it might be the best BB made in decades. As it stands, it’s tied with the 734A IMO. Not counting the BBPH (which isn’t a P/J so not in scope for you here :rofl: )

Gotta love that midnight blue though. In person it looks amazing.

1 Like

:scream:

1 Like

Not for the faint of heart (or frame), heh

1 Like

Have a Fender Player Plus…

… and a Spector NS Pulse II with a roasted maple neck/ebony fretboard

The Fender has you covered for vintage sounds, as well as active sounds. Decent weight at 9.9lb/4.5 kg. The Spector is an ergonomic dream to play, and is as light as a solid-body electric guitar (<8 lbs/<3.6 kg)

9 Likes

Sorry R77’s? Assuming thats the string?

Wholly sexy Purple Spector!

1 Like

Is the P pickup in the same place on a PJ? Can you turn down the J pickup and have it sound like a P?

2 Likes

Yes That’s the idea for most of the PJ out there. The J usually there at add a little sparkle to the tone. As per usual P can be throaty or nasally tone.

3 Likes