Billie Jean fretting tips, tricks or hacks?

@peterhuppertz I have something similar, I think. My middle finger :fu: either does this or becomes this ā€œspring loadedā€ digit that nearly dents the fretboard, then follows into line. If I lift it off to high then it locks into the :fu:, does sometimes make practice interesting :rofl:
Jamie

2 Likes

Oh come nowā€¦now youā€™re just show boating lol.

4 Likes

While I am by no means a proficient player yet, that is exactly how I play the Wretched Hench.

4 Likes

Same here @101

3 Likes

No show boating, I beleive thatā€™s how @JoshFossgreen plays it too.
Rest assured, your pinky is your friend, and it will love you back in time, even if you hate it right now.

3 Likes

So it has been over a weekā€¦ letā€™s see my progress!

I feel like I got way more effective due to the finger exercises and forcing myself to keep the fingers as close as I can. Although I forgot in the first bar, see it on camera and quickly fix it :smiley:

What I think I have to work on/is still not good is consistency in timing/rythm and dynamics. I guess/hope that this comes automatically with playing and I still do the groove workout. The last week my daily practice routine, using my practice website, was:

• 1 drum track playthrough finger exercise level 2
  • 1 drum track playthrough finger exercise level 3
  • 1 drum track groove workout 1 silent bar with premeditated notes
  • 1 drum track groove workout 1 silent bar slap alternating notes - empty string/3rd or 5th fret
  • playing what I want. I sometimes practiced Billy Jean but max 4-5 reps and not daily

This is also recorded with my new DAI (Behringer U-Phoria UMC 404HD)

Tips and constructive feedback always very welcome! I make these videos mainly to see myself playing to have an external eye I can use but why not use other real pairs of eyes, too? :wink:

Also this is the premiere of the caped bassist and I contacted my friend with the cosplaying sister. In general she is open for costume orders! Soā€¦ since I donā€™t take myself seriously, have too much time on my hands and had a weirdly huge amount of fun shooting that intro take I think Iā€™ll pursue this further :smiley_cat:
I still have to contact her but she said I should already have a picture or idea in mind so Iā€™m thinking about something specific before contacting her.

13 Likes

@juli0r brilliant very well done, I donā€™t do critiques I just listened and enjoyed. Your going great with your bass, looking forward to seeing more of your adventures
Jamie

2 Likes

So as promised to @juli0r my 1 month progress on Billy Jean.

This was a skype message to a friend to have him comment on. No effects or anything.

And this is just now. I got the inspiration while working on ā€˜My Shronnaā€™ and gave it a go (never tried full speed before even). Again no effect other than a little upgrade on the bassā€¦ No practice nothing. Put on the fast work out, hit the record button and go!

In this 1 month period I have never put more than 10 minutes on Billy Jean particularly. I have already got the notes memorized so I was fooling around with it every time I needed a warm up or something. There you go!

10 Likes

Congratulations on your progress!
Clear difference between both recordings.

4 Likes

Finally a hero for the people!
Awesome

5 Likes

Very well done! I canā€™t even tell you how in love I am with the second bass you play. Oh how I wish I would have gone with wood.

3 Likes

Hmm maybe I will start practicing it using my ring finger too. I always have done the pinky roll.

5 Likes

Great job @juli0r, I gotta think itā€™s the Cape giving you the power. My only piece of advice, or suggestion really, keep doing what you are doing, itā€™s working, and by ā€œkeep doing what your doingā€, I mean, KEEP DOING EVERYTHING YOUR DOING. And that means, the cape must be on at all times.

@Fahri, excellent. Great improvements, on speed, technique, bass and all. I love that bass.

5 Likes

Practicing You Give Love A Bad Name (in Joshā€™s video on muting) make Billie Jean easier to play for me.

5 Likes

I have to give that a try! My bass is soā€¦ noisy :smiley:

Epic transition here! Good job @juli0r already into production aspect of making videos I see!

6 Likes

I can do Billy Jean mostly hitting the right notes but not necessarily in the right order :crazy_face: and yet Iā€™m struggling with ā€œ you give love a bad nameā€ atm

Hold onā€¦Iā€™m seeing a similarity in band/artist initials here :scream:

4 Likes

Any reason? Pinky roll is perfectly fine in my opinion.

Itā€™s just that even with having the pinky trained some more I have problems getting consistent good tone from the higher string when using roll over with the pinky. I still think itā€™s too small and the first joint where the finger bents is too close as the gap doesnā€™t allow me to fret strong enough.

2 Likes

Yeah, specifically as a practice exercise for finger dexterity.

4 Likes

I remember that in the lesson of Billy Jean it was suggested to use pinky-ring combination actually. Further down the road when I learned about the rolling thing but it did not work for meā€¦

Recently on 11th Module heard Josh explaining both methods and using them in the same riff.

5 Likes

I echo all the sentiments above, but maybe this one most of all.
Bravo.

5 Likes