Blues scale

I’m sure it’s discussed somewhere, I just can’t find it. When I was learning guitar I was taught the Minor Pentatonic, which lead up to the Blues Scale. There were 5 patterns, or positions, each one building on the previous one, so you could play on the whole neck. With only 4 strings on the bass that doesn’t work the same way. I just watched a YouTube video where a guy showed the first and 2nd position for the Blues scale on a 4 string bass, so I know it’s out there somewhere. Is it in the lessons or is there some place where I can bring it up and print it out? Once I learned that on the guitar it helped me so much, so would like to transfer that to bass if possible.
Thanks/

3 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes

@JoshFossgreen has the best blues tutorial I’ve ever seen right here.

6 Likes

Am I missing something here? I learned the 5 pentatonic shapes on guitar. They are the same shapes on bass you just don’t have the B or high E string.

But the notes / shapes are exactly the same.

5 Likes

Just wasn’t sure if something changed because of missing the two strings.
Thanks for the help. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks everybody, this was what I needed. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The great thing for transferring from guitar @HIPCHIP is all the theory / scales / intervals are the same.

You’re not starting from scratch , which is nice :sunglasses:

2 Likes

This is basically what I was looking for. I asked Josh and the group about this, but I believe I was using the wrong terminology. Blues scales in all 5 positions is what I need. I, II, III, IV, and V, then it becomes I again. So I can play all over the whole neck. For when I am warming up before taking my next Josh lesson. This is so much fun!!! Thank you!~!!

Perfect. Printed this out and will post on my wall so I can look at it while practicing!
Thanks