Boss Katana Go

Has anyone picked up a Boss Katana Go? Looks like an awesome practice tool.

2 Likes

I ordered already but it won’t be available till mid to late April. Good news is the carrying pouch is available and I already received it lol.

6 Likes

Weird, they are available now in the UK

1 Like

Man I wish I got it already. :joy:. Best I can explain is, it’s a more convenient option of the pocket GT, or the way I see it a poor man Waza air.

1 Like

I’m curious, but not sure what it would provide over the Spark Go or Mooer Prime P1 that I have.

2 Likes

It’s a good point, the unit itself is quite similar in the way of capabilities with some trade offs spark go is a essentially a Bluetooth speaker and the Katana Go is a plug-in amp both offer the option to line out the audio and both can be used as audio interface.

I guess it comes down to the app. Not gonna lie, the landscape option on the spark app is a huge factor for me. I hate using my iPad in portrait mode, and Boss app is portrait only. Practice features are similar but different I like both for different reasons.

Now then it’s the biggest to consider, effects. Spark app offers tons of option but how are you going to compare to the King of effects, Boss. I don’t use any kind of drives or fuzz but the “Wet” effects are pretty awesome on the Boss.

I like the Katana go setup to use with my IEMs, looks like it would be a pretty cool setup. Can’t wait to give it a Go, :joy:

1 Like

I’d like to try one as definitely agree about the effects. I’d also like to know how well recording works with just a phone. The Prime P1 worked with my old Pixel 3 as an external microphone with the camera, but not with the 7. Not sure the Spark Go can even record directly to mobile.

I guess one final challenge with all 3 devices is what happens when they no longer hold a decent charge - unlikely to be able to replace the battery. I’ve got a couple of Vox Amplugs and like that you can use your own rechargeable batteries.

1 Like

Well, in a pinch it will do with GarageBand, in fact if you have the right connections for other instruments it would do quite well. I’ve done some full on recording and video on my 12 pro max before and it’s quite capable. Clearly better and more capable than my $5k Digidesign Session 8.

1 Like

Impressive :sunglasses:

I’ve got an older iPad or a Google Pixel 7 to work with. Mooer support is non existent and can’t find anything that helps from a Pixel point of view. The Pixel camera app tells me the microphone is already in use or something like that.

I don’t know if it’s a problem with the P1 or the Pixel so unsure if a different device like the Katana Go would work.

1 Like

I love both the spark go and mini, except the d@mn latency when outputting from pc via line or usb. It’s bad!
Also you cannot use it for rocksmith cause of fixed sampling rate and latency…

2 Likes

I have a M2 Mac mini and both M1 and M2 iPad Pro, I used to do all of my video on the Mac Final Cut Pro, now I’m exclusively Final Cut Pro iPad only. For five bucks a month it’s worth it for me. I also found that the M1 is plenty for the task so my M2 can do my personal stuffs.

As for music. I find that GarageBand is still the best, easy to use, powerful and it’s free. I have Logic Pro but it’s just too much for what I need to do.

4 Likes

I was doing some pricing research on the Beatbuddy on Sweetwater, and noticed they had one demo Katana Go in stock for a small discount off of list.
I jumped on it, as this was top of my GAS list, and all the online retailers are saying a month or two before new stock comes in.
Can’t wait for it to get here! This will be my first real GAS purchase… well, first that I can use right away, I did pick up a project bass a month ago, that probably won’t be playable for a couple months.

1 Like

Did you receive yours yet, @Al1885? I’m dying to read what you think about it!

2 Likes

Not yet, I hope it gets to me soon too. I can tell you all about the carrying pouch. :joy:

That said, I have a good feeling that it would be like the Pocket GT and Waza Air mashed up.

1 Like

Me too!

My iRig HD2 seized to function this week and I just discovered that my Fender Mustang Micro has only audio in and no audio out in audio interface mode, so there are rational reasons for me to get the Boss Katana Go too :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Elvis is in the building!

We have a BassBuzzer with a Katana Go now: Moderately priced birthday gift - #48 by craighmcgill

2 Likes