Boss Waza Air Bass

It’s definitely more quality than the Vox, which I’d used before…less hiss, and the pairing between the 2 pieces is really quick.

4 Likes

I just spent about 2 hours with the WAZA on my head…my wife is working today and I am off, and my music room/office is just below her office, so, WAZA to the rescue!

• Sound - far exceeds Vox/Nux or any other headphone amp I have tried.
  • Tone - I am very partial to very very clean tones, I like to hear my bass, and the WAZA excells at that. I also like the vintage tone option as well but mainly just leave it flat, or ‘super flat’ - not sure the difference, nor do I care yet.
  • Effects - Since I really like clean tones, I leave all of these off. I did play with them, they are all quite fine, just not my thing.
  • Bluetooth connectivity - at one point there was a bit of interference with the YouTube track I was learning along with (in an app called Loop2Learn which allows you to loop YouTube videos and slow down etc), when my Ring doorbell told me someone was at the door. A simple pause/play of the backing track and all was good again. Since there was an assignable event to the issue, I am not sure I can fault Boss for it vs. Apple or Ring for that matter. I could hear no latency playing along with YouTube at all.
  • Important features - I love that it has a built in tuner and bluetooth, leaving all other headphone amps I have tried in the dust as none had both, or either. This is my biggest gripe about the Zoom - no bluetooth. The WAZA leaves the Zoom destined to only be used with my ‘tiny amp’ for outdoor noodling.
  • “Spacial” Features - The WAZA has a feature where you can ‘place’ an amp spacially anywhere around you, so that when you turn your head, the sound comes from the spot you ‘put’ the amp. This is a very fun feature that I turned off after having fun. Is it cool? - Oh yeah. Does it work well? - Sure does. Why did I turn it off? - Cause I move my head too much, and, if you move your phone/device it moves the reference point which then puts your head in the wrong place and you have to lock the ‘amp’ in place, and move back to your new phone location and re-enable. Too much effort for me.

Net/net - this is a GREAT silent practice tool, just fantastic. It will be travelling with me on all trips and great for silent practice at home. If you are in a situation where you must practice silently, I would really recommend this unit as the cream of the crop.

10 Likes

Sounds like a good buy. How does the tuner work?

3 Likes

Thanks @John_E for taking the time to provide the detailed feedback, it’s really useful :+1:t2:

3 Likes

Thank you for the detailed review! It really sounds like it is an expensive but good and useful tool!

4 Likes

It works fine enough. It’s not my Peterson, but no better/worse than the Zoom tuner.

3 Likes

That’s how I feel about my GT-1B and ever other tuner next to my Peterson. They are all meh. The Peterson gets it done.

Thanks for the follow up. As I said before if I had that kind of cash for an accessory I’d jump on it.

3 Likes

But, literally, how does it work? These are headphones, right? Where’s the tuner display?

3 Likes

The accompanying app

5 Likes

Ah… wasn’t thinking about the phone integration…

4 Likes

We living in da future

5 Likes

What’s the app called @John_E ? I had forgotten all about that when I bought the Waza.

1 Like

I found it…Waza Air in the Play Store

1 Like

Make sure to get the Waza air bass app. I didn’t get the bass app at first and that fails with a vague message…

5 Likes

Ok, I have had a muck around with my Woza and I agree with John’s @John_E , this headset has some great features built in.
I like the stage amp set up, the tones are awesome.
I really like the built in drum tracks for the different music styles, allows you to adjust tempo to suit your own pace.
I haven’t tried the metronome as yet , having to much fun with the drum tracks.
Haven’t tried Bluetoothing my own music through the headset either.
The app is easy to navigate, although I haven’t played around to much with the EQ settings or the patching features as yet.
Being able to have a plugged in experience without disturbing others is a big plus IMO, and the fact that these are compact and will travel easy opens up many options :+1::sunglasses:
Cheers Brian

6 Likes

Cultural side note - Where I grew up, Wazzer (and that’s how I pronounce Waza, probably incorrectly) was slang for the toilet or an idiot "Oh yeah, he’s a total wazzer.
It wouldn’t stop me buying one, it just makes me grin when I see the name.

5 Likes

I had to look it up. Waza in Japanese stands for move, skill, technique. I’d love to have that toy but I would be a total wazzer if I spent that much on it right now. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The Waza pedals from Boss are pretty great too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve finally gotten around to experimenting with the tuner on the app…loved it and all 8 basses are now in tune, including the wayward Steinberger that looks like it’s got 1st fret buzz, so I’ll have to have Terry look at it…sigh…anyway, @John_E is there any way to put audio from a computer through to the headphones when you’re playing? I’d like to be able to use it for lessons but I’d need @JoshFossgreen in my ear as well.

2 Likes

Looks like you need to press the Bluetooth button down and hold it to locate the audio you want from your computers Bluetooth?

1 Like