British vs USA Metal Guitar Battle

Wow Brian some cool interesting stuff in there. Gary Numan and Tears for Fears in there are both solid classics that stand out a bit from the others. And INXS was really solid on Shaboo Shabbah, about 5 years before that live album :slight_smile:

Still haven’t seen “Live! Tonight!!! Sold Out!!!”. I was immersed in grunge at the time Nevermind came out and saw all the SubPop bands in tiny venues regularly before that album landed and Nirvana kicked it off big. That would be super nostalgic for me. I still really like Bleach and Nevermind.

2 Likes

Hey @howard,
Wait until I post pics of my vinyl and CD collections, they will blow you away👍cheers Brian

2 Likes

I could never call Slayer Mainstream.
Some bands, they are not classified, until they arise on the scene, then a new classification of music arises from them.
They were the top of the pack, but they were never the band that sold out and played down to get on the radio. They stayed true to themselves throughout their entire career, and to have the money in your face and still play by your rules is the essence of punk rock.
Whenever you see a street / skate / hardcore / whatever punker with a patched up jean or leather jacket, there are two “Metal type” bands that are always on that jacket, and well deserving of being there, Motorhead and Slayer.

I will admit that my ALL TIME FAVORITE band, if you call them a band, maybe Trio, or Crew… is The Beastie Boys. And that is their entire collection from Agilo o Eglio to Licensed to Ill to to Some Old BullShit to Hot Sauce Committee.

4 Likes

Tears for fears and Gary Numan are both really great artists,
I play “are friends electric“ great bass line, I will do a video of it and post in covers one day👍
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Beasties were amazing, their whole career. I got legit sad when I heard about MCA.

3 Likes

you n me both :facepunch:

2 Likes

The Beastie Boys … f*** yeah :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Hi Brian, the one that caught my eye out of your pics of videos was Alice In chains Unplugged :+1:t2:

4 Likes

I haven’t got a record player any longer, but I just can’t part with this album given to me by my brother in law years ago:

EDIT: yes my rug is almost as psychedelic as the album cover!

7 Likes

oh hells yeah!!!

4 Likes

back when i was a punk rock (or hardcore in those days) kid, we hated slayer, megadeath, and especially metallica, all those metal bands that ripped off hardcore. but there was one band that was always socially acceptable for any kid with a mohawk to like and that was the almighty MOTORHEAD :smiling_imp:

4 Likes

i am so obsessed with paul’s boutique that a few years ago i made this, all 114 of them. whenever i have a party, i just click play :rofl: :

4 Likes

Must say it makes me so happy to hear Motörhead is so well liked.
The punks in the UK in the majority were quite accepting of Motörhead.
I quite often have a time when I don’t listen to them but I always find my way back there.

3 Likes

IDK, around here, it was the same, but without SLAYER. All the HB punks were down with Slayer. Pretty much same as DRI, Discharge, Exploited, etc…

My hate for Metallica was alway doubled by the fact people would tell me I looked like James Hetfield, And I don’t at all, but it would piss me off.

See, that is what I said in another thread, or in this one, but the two bands that were allowed on the patched up punk rock leather were Slayer and Motorhead.

3 Likes

My ALL TIME, #1 FAVORITE BAND, OR CREW, OR TRIO, etc… They have it all, and they Fu@KED $H!T UP!!!

2 Likes

Slayer was definitely mainstream-ish at my school. Lots of Slayer t-shirts on the normal metal crowd.

Doesn’t reduce them in any way, just saying the punks were more in to Black Flag, Husker Du, TSOL, Suicidal Tendencies, etc.

I was kind of punk-adjacent at the time. Loved Husker Du, ST, and liked Black Flag a lot (and Repo Man was a fave), but was primarily in to post-punk, industrial, and electronica.

3 Likes

Got the album cover of rock and roll tattooed on my calf

2 Likes

I’ve been seriously thinking about getting the full Motörhead war pig as a back piece !

2 Likes

Dooo eeet

My motorhead tattoo started out as an inside joke I had with my friends about how you weren’t really punk rock until you got a motorhead tattoo because everybody had one

3 Likes

Black Flag Bars tattoo

Thats the way that one goes.

2 Likes