Build Kit Documentation (Harley-Benton P-Bass)

Pretty sure this is how close to 100% of production basses are made these days, it’s just Warwick makes videos of their custom builds, where they also rough it out with a CNC router, which is why I used them as an example. Awesome vids you get when you order one.

The difference would be the extensive finishing work done on the 'wicks (and Fenders and so on). That will happening to varying levels for production line basses.

I mean, CNC routers aren’t that expensive. I was actually surprised. More than most individuals would spend but not bad at all for a pro shop or factory. And the small DIY ones are actually easily affordable for individuals.

3 Likes

you can’t paint over an oiled surface or anything fat : imagine painting over butter, it’s obvious that it won’t work :face_with_hand_over_mouth: that’s why we always use a degreaser like acetone prior to painting

5 Likes

@juli0r, for some reason, the DEAN wings logo is what I see there, but not the actual Dean wings, something similar of your creation, but it would need to be drawn or painted on, after the paint base, before the clear coat.
Or you can mask it and paint over it, remove the mask, and then fill in by hand, paint pen or small paint brush, with just a small amount if hand painting to fill it in.
That’s just what I see fitting there, but I am sure you will come up with something awesome

3 Likes

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-Tools-453456-300-Fretsaw/dp/B01EGRQBBE/ref=sr_1_7?adgrpid=53953538060&dchild=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw_-D3BRBIEiwAjVMy7ExGTbhZt0CFsc3DnST0nOsGmzGUORHW1Z0IqsisP__YLm8pNKAm5hoCDXsQAvD_BwE&hvadid=259052937314&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9045228&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=9479097858252834182&hvtargid=kwd-298905685900&hydadcr=172_1736102&keywords=fret+saw&qid=1593352120&sr=8-7&tag=googhydr-21
@juli0r this leaves a super smooth cut with fine blades
Jamie

2 Likes

Ack! This doesn’t get done with a mitre box? If I were doing this I can imagine not getting the cut square across the neck.

3 Likes

Dave it’s not for cutting frets although you would be easily mistaken by the name, it’s for cutting out the head stock or jigsaw pieces. A jigsaw is no good for cutting jigsaw pieces, to large blades.
I use a Gentleman’s saw for frets. Although the last time I used a pull saw which can be used in a mitre box type jig. @DaveT
Jamie

3 Likes

Goes in that direction anyway. Just as bat wings and not bird feathers.

Okay. So paint first and then oil coat. Makes sense.

@terb yeah. Alright. Thanks.

3 Likes

You’re going to oil coat over paint?

4 Likes

I DUNNO WHAT I’M GONNA DO!

I know what result I want:
Small part painted in black - everything else natural.

Most of the answers confuse me instead of making it more clear to me.

So… paint base? What?

I have:

• Clear oil for coting
  • Acryl paint

Would buy if needed:

• Clear finish
  • Paint base? Whats that?
2 Likes

Ahh, sorry. You’re only painting a small part. Then yes, oil after painting.

I somehow pictured a bass fully painted and then applying oil after that. Which seemed weird to me. Sorry I didn’t read back a bit.

4 Likes

Perfect!
No problem as this has cleared it up a bit more. I kind of made a decision but still was hesistant.

Anyway - the shaping will still take a while. I just wanted to know what to do once I’m there and what the correct order would be! So kind of a good thing you didn’t read back :wink:

3 Likes

I would let the paint dry for a long time (24h minimum) and be careful with the oil around the paint so it doesn’t smear it (even after drying).

I would also clear-coat over the painted part.

4 Likes

Cool! That’s actually one hand tool that I already do own although I may have worded my approach wrongly. I think what I want to do goes into sculpting and so far I think I can work with the Dremel for that. The idea is to sculpt 3-D wings instead of thinking of the headstock as 2D canvas.

Yeah I will be although my acryl colors are water based and probably less prone to smearing than oil based colors I would assume!?

3 Likes

Yep, good that the paint and oil are different bases.

4 Likes

Howard if you use Tru Oil you can put it over a mat paint you can obtain a very high gloss that is tough. I’ts designed for gun stocks.
Jamie @howard

6 Likes

Tru-Oil is awesome stuff but the trick is many ultra-thin coats. Don’t be impatient and try to get it done in 2 thick coats… 20 thin coats will look far better.

5 Likes

That thing looks like what I would call a “coping saw” only a little deeper with a shorter blade.

5 Likes

Whew, very helpful. Thank you!

3 Likes

Moving along nicely there :+1:
I was leaving the coats of oil / finish for around a week in between coats as advised by the seller of the kits here . Well worth it imho and very very thin coats . Patience is your friend here and it’s very hard to keep enthusiasm under control.
I’m really enjoying this build and it’s stoking the build fire in my belly again.

3 Likes

Sorry for the confusion @juli0r, I was picturing, like I said the DEAN, therefore, looking at mine, it’s a black headstock, with white wings.
Therefore, if you were doing white on black, I would suggest finishing the headstock with black paint, and after the final black coat, you paint the white wings, then put a clear finish over it.

So in your case, the “Black paint” becomes “natural oil finish wood”. And the “white wings” becomes “black bat wings” or cape or whichever the paint emblem will be.

So, completely finish the headstock.
Paint the emblem
Then if you plan to, add a clear protection coat over the top of the headstock.

Anyway, I think this was already cleared up, just wanted to apologize for any confusion.

Great work, keep it up.

3 Likes