Building a test bed bass

Nothin’ to it, but to do it. The worst part is overcoming your own fear and actually starting.

2 Likes

Very nicely documented, @John_E . . . :slight_smile:

Good luck with the rest of the build, too!

Cheers
Joe

2 Likes

You could always get it tattooed on your forearm :thinking:

2 Likes

THE TRI-LOGIC TOGGLE SWITCHES:

The replacement toggle switch arrived from Sims today. Dropped both in and soldered up +9V (for the LEDs), ground and the hot from each pickup and put the pickguard back on.

THE RAT’S NEST:
A custom pickguard will go on later (actually cannot find anyone who is doing them right now, any help would be appreciated), but for now, trying to keep the wiring all in place was problematic, so, a temporary, low budget spouting was found.

THE STRINGS:
Decided to start with my favorite Labella flats.

Time now to set it up.
Side note: something weird happened when tuning up the G string. The ball end popped off! That’s never happened before. Will have to drop LaBella a note and get a replacement. In the meantime I threw an EB Slinky round wound I had for now, will hit Sam Ash in the AM to also grab another set ASAP.

NEXT UP:
DOES IT PLAY?

A quick plug in to check and indeed the lights are on and it makes noise (hooray!). Off to set it up and make a little video. Spoiler alert, it actually sounds really really good!

7 Likes

@John_E , That’s not low budget. That’s Red Green.*

“If the ladies don’t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy”.

Seriously though, great project. I’m still waiting for my On-On-On 3-way switches (3 weeks now :frowning: ).

*The Red Green Show

3 Likes

Great work, @John_E . . . :+1:

2 Likes

Because MusicMan runs active electronics and usually that takes care off the unwanted noise beside the humbucker they are already run. It would be great to double check for continuity if you find any kind of hum.

Emg has their stuff together internally so there pickup make no annoying noise. I’m pretty sure Sims are doing that. Unlike the not so “noiseless” pickups.

1 Like

I sheilded everything just to do it.
I don’t get any hum with the Sims regardless, loving these pickups, loads of fun

3 Likes

After an exhaustive search to find someone, anyone who would make a custom cut on a MM H pickguard, I called my local luthier at 812 Guitars. He is happy to do it! Finally I can finish off the test bed and get rid of the ghetto electrical tape…she gets dropped off tomorrow, will leave the pickguard color as a surprise.

5 Likes

I have to say, I am not the biggest fan of Burst finishes, but I think this burst on the Ray4, the black to red looks fantastic.
I almost want to get one.

I love this color and the brown one that @Mac got, and normally, I wouldn’t be all that keen on either, but the way Sterling has the matte finish, they look awesome.

3 Likes

Ya I am totally digging matte finishes and they do them well.strong text

2 Likes

I just realized I never finished off this thread with the mirror pickguard in place, here is the final product.

9 Likes

:star_struck:

3 Likes

Agree with Krescht above, @John_E . . .

Although it might become a fingerprint magnet, that pickguard looks magnificent!

Well done!! :star_struck:

Cheers
Joe

2 Likes