Cabs for home practice - your thoughts

Well, I am going to put Bergantino out there as they are phenomenal.
It was between that and the Fearless for me and I went with the Fearless by a hair.
Just sounded a smidge better but honestly they were both top notch.

I was considering darkglass until I heard Berg.

4 Likes

GK is always Gallien-Kreuger AFAIK, it’s their logo after all. I have never seen Glockenklang abbreviated.

[quote=“HowlinDawg, post:19, topic:38017, full:true”].

Apparently I tend to favor cabs with a HF driver. (I surprised myself with that)
[/quote]

The line array type of cab would be great with the High frequency especially if you want to play music through the amp as well.

4 Likes

Their vertical 2x10 looks just about perfect… apart from the price tag and the 3 month waiting list… Ouch! :money_mouth_face:
I did find a shop with one in stock though. :slight_smile:

Agreed, there was one of their Forte-D amps for sale used and I very nearly went for it. It was excellent. Their gear seems hard to come by here in Europe though.

How come my Budget always triples when I ask for advice on BassBuzz? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

If I learned anything so far, is that you never should cheap out on amp. I learnt it with my pocket.

1 Like

I didn’t. :smiling_imp:
But if you ask in front of my wife I’ll deny everything! :innocent:

2 Likes

Gallien-Krueger seem to be more or less in the same price category for cabs as Markbass, Orange or Darkglass . All of those have a pretty solid reputation.
G-K seem a bit harder to find however, not available on Thomann for instance :person_shrugging:

GK is another league, if you wanna take my word for it.
Amount of engineering that goes into it is insane, that’s why its more expensive, and there arent many of their products. They consider themselves boutique maker.

2 Likes

…because you are horrible at budgeting?

2 Likes

Dunno what he expected here asking these kinds of questions. :rofl:

3 Likes

My Ashdown 4x10 cab is a monster. I have it paired with an Eden WTX264 amp head and it shakes the walls. Clear and articulate without being boomy

1 Like

To carry? I’ll bet.

2 Likes

Actually not. I think it is only 46 pounds but feels a lot lighter. They provide hand grips on the sides to make it easy.

That’s not unreasonable weight @EddieJones I guess having a separate head shaves a few pounds.

My Fender Rumble 800 combo is 29lbs. I just don’t see me getting to a point where it needs to be much louder than a cranked 2x10.

The nice thing is it’s easy to add a matching cab. But that thing is stupid loud already.

1 Like

The main reason I bought this cab and the Eden amp is my local shop guy sold both to me for only $400.00. With all the cabling to go with them. I could not pass up that good of a deal and it has proven to be an outstanding amp and cabinet combination.

Yeah, hard to pass on that :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I really like Ashdown, and they were near the top of my shortlist, but many of their products seem to be in short supply at the moment, being sold out in most places, even on Ashdown’s own website.

I wonder if they’re having global supply issues.

2 Likes

Never forget PJB cabs if you want small and surprising…

2 Likes

Good point. I also have a PJB cub-120 combo and it’s amazing. Add a cab to that and you can blow doors off.

3 Likes

What?? That’s light af for what it is! What wizardry is this?!
My Orange Crush Bass 50 is 34 pounds on the delivery label, with a single 12" speaker :joy:

1 Like