Call the Paramedics ! We have a bass down!

I’m sure I’m not the first to have this happen. My beautiful Jaco custom fretless

has suffered a near fatal injury… OUCH !! Such a sad day. And I only just got my POG… (POG + Fretless = YES) . I have him booked in for surgery this Friday. I have heard Jon from Shub Guitars in Melbourne does some amazing work. Fingers crossed!!! I’ll post results

8 Likes

Ugh, that sounds (and looks) horrible :scream:

Did you have it standing like you show in the first pic?? And then it slid… !?!

It looks actually a bit strange for the wood to crack where it did, doesn’t it?? Anyway, best of luck with the surgery! Fingers crossed!!

4 Likes

Oh no!

It seems super odd for the multipiece neck to break like that.

5 Likes

Cheers @joergkutter … I have no idea if it fell or whether it just “popped” … I haven’t used that bass in a while but grabbed it today to see what it sounded like with the POG. I have 2 kids… 3 and 7 yr old who always love to make noise on my guitars… not pointing fingers… Anyway, what’s done is done. No point looking back, only forward. Let’s hope it’s repairable. It was a very expensive bass :cry:

7 Likes

I know… unless it is just a racing stripe really :open_mouth:

5 Likes

I’m an engineer … Looking at it, I would say the radius was too tight as they transitioned from the neck to headstock and that created what we would call a “stress raiser” . … Bad design.

5 Likes

but don’t get me wrong, it’s a beautiful bass and it sounds amazing so, like I said… fingers crossed

5 Likes

Yeah, I totally understand!

Is it neck-through?? Potentially makes it harder, but I am sure an experienced luthiers knows what can be done about this!!

Keep us posted!!

5 Likes

Bah, some wood glue and a couple screws…

4 Likes

Yes neck through… It was built for me by 2 Russian guys who were travelling through Melbourne, Australia. As you can see, the attention to detail was awesome. It has a Swamp Ash body, the pickups have little wooden covers, the Bridge is made of wood , the headstock is covered in birdseyes and even the ferrules for the 'though body strings" are made from wood. Like I said, it cost a bomb but it sounds and plays very, very nice and this is a real blow. Hopefully it can be repaired

5 Likes

Like I said, it’s a beautiful instrument.

4 Likes

It’s totally gorgeous.

4 Likes

That’s a pity, but no stress: It can be repaired. If you find any dent higher on the head, it’s an indication it has taken a fall. Which I suspect looking at the way the crack looks.

4 Likes

be sure to show us what it looks like after the fix. it really is beautiful, good luck.

3 Likes

That’s a real shame, @russki98 . . . . :frowning:

Hope the surgery goes well . . . :+1:

3 Likes

:open_mouth:

Wooden dowels or splines, not screws @howard!

Bad…

Better…

Best…

7 Likes

I was waiting for someone to be horrified by that :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@Korrigan you got me on that first picture :exploding_head::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

LOL I love the first one… I’ll look around the guy’s workshop first to make sure he doesn’t have a staple gun

3 Likes

I’m a multi instrumentalist and in addition to the bass guitar, I play guitar, mandolin, ukulele (both soprano and bass uke) and banjo. My first thought when I saw the photo was, “Aha! That looks like a case of Gibson Head Stock-itis.

Gibson’s back-angled headstock is a well-known design flaw, especially in Les Paul, ES-335 and SG guitars. All it takes is one fall from grace or, in practical terms, a spill whether from a guitar stand or carelessly leaned-against an amp or wall to create the kind of injury in your photo.

The more common remedy in the inclusion of a volute on the back of the neck where the headstock meets the fretboard.

The additional neck-headstock stability, imbued by the volute, has been a subject of debate as the headstock can still crack or snap off after a nasty spill; yet the odds of such an injury are statistically reduced. Your bass appears to have something resembling a volute, although I’ve not seen one before that’s executed like the “volute” on your bass. The volute carve seems almost backwards. In any case a competent luthier or guitar/bass tech will have your baby back in fighting trim fairly soon.

The link below takes one to a page that offers a tidy summary about the guitar and bass guitar neck volute.

https://zinginstruments.com/guitar-volute/

6 Likes