Can we talk vinyl?

Many years ago when I moved, I accidentally forgot all my records in the back of my truck on a hot day. Sad times :disappointed_relieved: I should have saved the covers :smile: my dad had a big jazz collection, much of it on old 78s… I forgot all about it until my mom sold the house and I have no idea what happened to it but I try not to think about that :pensive:

1 Like

There’s iZotope Vinyl or RC-20 :slightly_smiling_face:

One time we moved in to a new place and set up the stereo, put the records down, etc. Then all went to school/work/etc.

Came home and the records were warped. Turns out we should have put up the window curtains because the sun came through the window just so…

Welp, time to try and find them all again.

1 Like

Good old crate digging :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I imagine vinyl doesn’t seem bad if you’re not forced to use it :rofl:

If there’s other sources of music it’s just kind of nostalgic and retro-cool. But back then? We loved it but it suuuuuuuuuuuuuucked. CDs and DATs happened because vinyl sucked so bad and we all wanted something better.

When I’m working I only listen to vinyl.
Forces me to get off my ass every 20 min or so to flip the sides and lets me have solid hours a day to listen to them. The collection is only stuff I truly love and very diverse.

I’ve got every song imaginable on my phone and that’s for my ear buds, the car, etc.

Some of us here have shared our collections (if you are interested in this thread:

This is the key difference. You’re not forced to use it, it’s just kind of a neat retro hobby.

And potentially lucrative. Some of the albums I stumbled across for cheap have shot up in value over the last couple years.

2 Likes

For sure. I had many that would be exceedingly rare today. They were rare 30 years ago.

1 Like

The other thing I find with music on my phone, I rarely, if ever, listen to an entire album. I bounce around in shuffle mostly, or let Apple play turns based on what I just played. Very ADHD.

The “ritual of vinyl” (aka PITA of changing records) changes the listening experience back yo how the artist wanted the music presented. This obviously also allows you to listen to a load of “deep tracks” you would normally not hear or skip by in a shuffle gig.

3 Likes

I’m a sentimental person and a part of me hopes that when I’m gone my kids will put on my records and think about me. Mostly because I wish I had some of my dad’s old records. I wish I could put them on and wonder which songs were his favorites.

3 Likes

As soon as they’ve got you in the old folks home those old ‘Cure’ records will be on Ebay :wink:

1 Like

Haha freaking kids!

I just LOVE my manual transmission!

Finally drug out the old turntable we had when I was growing up. Got it hooked up to the Sansui HiFi that it used to spend so much time with before.

It does produce sound but it sounds like :poop: I’d describe it as a extra layer of fuzz on top of the usual pops and hiss.

Think it’s worth seeking a new cartridge for this old beast? (Philips Automatic 406) Perhaps it’s something else? I could supply a video if that helps.

1 Like

Do the research on a new cartridge Vs some of the new normal turntables like project carbon and the like. But first. Invest in some good vinyl cleaner (liquid), carbon fiber brush (for once it’s clean and to get rid of bigger dust things that re-land) and a stylus brush (don’t use the gel pads, they leave crap on the stylus). and see if that helps. As kids we didn’t really clean records. Makes a huge difference. Big fudge kit etc. I can send you recos if you want.

1 Like

I’ll have a look at the big fudge kit! Cleaning is probably a good place to start. Thanks. :smiley:

Quick look online seems to indicate these are ok turntables but very very cheap. If you get to the cartridge replacement bit, I think you’d be better off swapping it out. Clean everything up and see if you fall in love with vinyl again. Caution: it’s a deep and vast rabbit hole as well.

1 Like

Got the cleaning kit, and did a quick test run and not much improvement. I think this needle might be toast… sometimes one side crackles out and I only get one speaker. It sounds pretty horrendous the entire time. Time to do more research…

Sounds like your speakers are flaky or amp is shot.
You cleaned the stylus too yes?

1 Like