Caveman Audio

So, here is Gregor’s take on the Caveman Audio compressor now:

He showcases it with a bunch of pre-amp pedals (paging @jacq @booker_t @John_E @Al1885 @eric.kiser and likely countless others)

I just hate, hate those knobs… luckily my pockets also aren’t deep enough for these babies :wink:

7 Likes

Not a fan of chicken knobs? :rofl:

5 Likes

OMG, they are so ugly :nauseated_face:

Worse, you can’t dial them with your fingers only, you have to include a wrist motion :grimacing:

4 Likes

Thanks @joergkutter. Very happy with the Caveman Preamp. Sticking with the Cali76 Compressor.

7 Likes

Wow, that’s a cool video for clean tone. It’s not much difference on my IPad Pro but when I played them on my monitor, it sounded different. They were all great sounds. Not cheap. I like the Chicken head knobs for this application.

Thanks @joergkutter

4 Likes

It sounds good but in the end… it’s a compressor, and they want $400 for it. At least it has the correct controls, good to see a compressor with all the necessary parameters.

Someone will eventually make a killing selling a normal $20 compressor circuit to bass players, in a nice housing, with the controls dumbed down to “Compression” (threshold), “Loudness” (makeup gain - what they call boost), and a three way switch for “Fingers, Pick, Slap” (attack/release presets).

5 Likes

I’ll buy that pedal, provided it has only one control called “compression”, with two or maybe three positions (“low”, “medium” and “high” or something like that :joy:)

3 Likes

Oh there’s lots like that :rofl:

Basically exactly what I described, but with one knob. And they have made a killing on it.

4 Likes

I like this compressor idea of yours. If someone built it, they could easily sell it for $150-$200. Do you plan on making it an optical compressor? Can I get serial #0? What’s the wait time?

3 Likes

You know the only thing that makes this a bad plan is my endemic laziness :rofl:

3 Likes

How about this?

Whirlwind OC Bass Optical Compressor Pedal | Sweetwater

2 Likes

Yep there you go, thats basically it

2 Likes

Then you need this pedal @Mike_NL. One knob for compression and they added a preamp to it as well.

6 Likes

Yeah these are everywhere, the single knob compressors. Too blunt an instrument IMO but hey if you like it…

Battalion’s a nice preamp, BTW - owned one. Too transparent for my tastes though.

2 Likes

Yeah I did a bit of reading round / listening to a bunch of preamps. The SGT was the first one I heard that sounded like the sound in my head.

Not sure about the one dial compressor tbh. Maybe a Cali76 is in my future. I’m waiting for @booker_t to tire of his and low ball him :smiley:

4 Likes

That’s some truth.

2 Likes

85EAD3E6-7A82-4612-BA6E-A656D44448AC

9 Likes

:rofl: :joy: :rofl:

1 Like

Thanks for posting this Jörg.

I had to break out the earbuds for this video. This thing is so subtle I can’t tell if I was imagining a difference or there really was a difference.

2 Likes

I know :joy: Always makes me wonder whether in reality you just get a 400 dollar “producer switch” with these (transparent) high-end compressors :scream:

4 Likes