Cigar Box Bass, Build #42, Trillian

WOW :open_mouth: WOW :open_mouth: and again WOW!!!

2 Likes

Thanks guys!

I posted that last photo on a few of my facebook groups and after about the sixth time of answering PMs asking how I do my faux-veneer I decided to make it easier on myself…

So now you know too. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Douglas Adams and Tom Robbins on the same day? I’m falling in love with our forum all over again.

4 Likes

very nice headstock, the faux-veneer looks super cool :star_struck:

3 Likes

Here’s another little infographic I made because I remember @steve.harder2012 mentioned having trouble aligning a bridge…

Just ignore the fact that I haven’t gotten around to replacing the guitar nut with a bass nut yet.

8 Likes

Thank you.

I save all your instruction pictures so I can reference them in the future. That gave me an idea: Would you mind me putting them in a category on the Groove & Scale Practice Website ? Like a new category “Building instructions & glossary” or something.

This thread will sooner or later be lost and I thought it would be cool to have a kind of building glossary online. I can’t just steal pictures from existing online tutorials but yours I could put online if you’re okay with it!? No work required on your part and I’ll credit you on the website with whatever alias you like and optionally a link to… where you want it to go.

2 Likes

That, is absolute genius! I’m absolutely going to do this! Thanks @Korrigan!

4 Likes

No problem @juli0r, you can use my pics however you want.

3 Likes

Not the most elegant… but the wiring is done…

6 Likes

But Korrigan, you say, surely that big headstock and heavy bass tuners combined with a tiny hollow cigar box is going to make that thing neck-dive like crazy…

Nope, a 34 ounce chunk of steel should help balance it out pretty well…

8 Likes

What value pots and cap are you putting in?

3 Likes

500k Dimarzio custom taper volume, 500k CF audio taper tone with generic .047 cap.

And I forgot to show you guys the pickup. It’s a quadrail humbucker, 18k ohms, hidden under the lid so as not to destroy the graphics on the box. It also has a series/split/parallel switch.

6 Likes

Got’er done! :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Wow!
It looks amazing!

2 Likes

Nice job @Korrigan.
Impressive :+1:
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

That is one sweet looking wee bass, you really have made it look class.
The matching headstock with contrasts just tie it in so nicely with the cigar box.
Hiding the pickup is genius, just smooths the look. I’ve seen many but none so bonnie very nice @Korrigan
Jamie

4 Likes

still totally OK (from a 20+ year tube amp building guy :grin: ) ; twisting the wires is OK but really not needed. it’s not the case where it really matters.

3 Likes

I’ve actually picked up radio stations with my guitars before. :smiley:

This pickup, because it’s a quad-coil, is still a humbucker when split so not as prone to RFI as a single coil so I’m not expecting it to happen but anything to help reduce RFI can’t hurt.

5 Likes

That’s one very tidy build :sunglasses:
Congratulations :+1:

3 Likes

That is…

Above and beyond

4 Likes