Compressor Pedals

I am thinking on buying the Keely Pro Compressor Pedal. Any comments or recommendations? Here is the link:

I just bought a Cali-76 Compact Bass compressor by Origin Effects and it is incredibly awesome!! Sound, tone, and sustainability is incredible along with super quality construction.

Here is the link:

Thanks. I will look into it.

Hey @bsickels, I have the Keeley Bassist compressor on my pedalboard and it seems to work great. I really like not having to manually set attack and release, I find that really obtuse for live use. Unless you’re intending to use this in a studio setting, I’d recommend the Bassist over the Compressor Pro, it’s smaller and simpler.

I’m also curious about the TC Electronic Spectracomp pedals, I have an older version of Spectracomp built into the RH450 amp I use, but you can do cool Toneprint tweaky stuff with the Spectracomp. It’s on the list.

It seems to me like there are a lot of “good” compressors out there, it’s just a matter of what controls you want to have, or not have, for your own head to wrap around it well.

Killer thread. I was just thinking of getting into some kind of compressor pedal myself… thanks.

I have this one in mind… has everything (from a tech perspective) one may need, including wet/dry XLR DI outs, dual band compressor, line and instrument out, aux-in, headphone out, chromatic tuner… doubles great as practice amp.

Definitely is designed for a bassist, with gigs in mind (sound eng will love it).

Only cons it seems to have is pot visibility, easily fixed using some fluorescent paint, or gluing dots cut out of phosphorescent stickers.

Looks awesome… but - I will tell you a lesson I learned from sound engineers:
The more knobs they see you have, the more skittish and distrustful they become. That’s why I always travel with espresso and small packages of candy.
That’s the way to make friends with a skittish sound engineer.

I have a hard time wrapping my head around the need for a pedal like this, honestly… there’s already EQ on your bass and your amp, the tuner display is much smaller than on a nice dedicated tuner pedal (like the TC Electronic Polytune 3, my favorite), and you’re stuck with one drive sound that you can’t swap around like you could with individual pedals.

I guess if you were running it as a preamp straight into a power amp or something, like a reviewer on Sweetwater is, it makes more sense… but I would rather save all that real estate and just run a tuner -> compressor -> drive into my amp.

Looks awesome… but - I will tell you a lesson I learned from sound engineers:
The more knobs they see you have, the more skittish and distrustful they become.

Heheh true… the thing with this one is you cannot screw, you set a master level and can tinker all you want, you won’t be screwing levels out of it.

I have a hard time wrapping my head around the need for a pedal like this, honestly… there’s already EQ on your bass and your amp, the tuner display is much smaller than on a nice dedicated tuner pedal (like the TC Electronic Polytune 3, my favorite), and you’re stuck with one drive sound that you can’t swap around like you could with individual pedals.

For me the great thing is the dual band compressor and how is it engineered, provides a lot of flexibility, specially on stage.

The tuner does use all the unit pots backlighting to “cue” you into tuning, the display is only for EADG.

I think is good for the price too, even if you don’t use the active EQ (but could when using a passive bass) a quality compressor + another pedal will be more expensive, not taking into account the wet + dry XLR DI’s, line out, etc.

A review where all features are tested from a musician point of view: