Constructive Criticism

I want to open up this chat for some helpful FRIENDLY tips and criticism. Example: “you sound great when it comes to your tone, but your timing needs work. Try this way…etc…”
I am scared to start posting videos because I’ve never played in front of anyone. I don’t know how to edit either, so the videos are RAW!.. I want to be able to post little riffs and such without worrying about my self esteem and cyber bullying haha I come up with some cool stuff and I think I found the right platform to practice with on here finally. Hopefully people want to be involved in this chat topic, and we all help each other get better. Bassists Unite!!!

10 Likes

KnuckleHead,
I spent a month reading everything on the forum b4 committing to the group and I did not see any negative. In fact the opposite, read the forums and you will get the drift.
I only signed up to Beginner to Badass on Sunday, and I’m only beginning the schedule April 1st
JT

9 Likes

Awesome! Thank you for that insight! I appreciate it all.

3 Likes

@KnuckleHead first off, welcome to our friendly forum.

More to the point, this is one of the nicest, most understanding groups of people you can ever hope to be involved with. We are all supportive of one another, and only give constructive advice where it’s needed and asked for. There is no cyber bullying here, @JoshFossgreen will not allow it, and neither will we.
Post away, we’d love to hear your stuff.

11 Likes

I’m also starting soon, like Mar 19. Since everything has been cancelled, it’s a great time to start the program! I bought a new Gretsch short scale and am quite happy with it. Oh, I’m almost 72, but feel much younger, don’t wear hats, don’t have a beard, don’t make funny faces, and no sunglasses. Can I still be a successful bass player? Lol.
Wish me luck.
Andy

10 Likes

Don’t ever be afraid to post videos of yourself playing your bass here @KnuckleHead… This forum is all about learning and experiencing all things “bass”,… and nothing at all about feeding or showboating egos…

6 Likes

That’s the other way round for me. I’ve never been happy about my tone. I’m getting a lot closer to it with my Supro though.
Welcome aboard :+1:
Are you a total beginner, or do you have some musical understanding?

5 Likes

That’s great.
Why April 1st? Just start at the beginning of a month?
Are you new to playing, or played before in some way?

3 Likes

Hi Mark,
well I needed a bass and I think that she will be here by then. International courier Russia tae Scotland. A pretty Fender Blacktop, a very unique sound.
I was thinking of putting a bass together, I have plenty of parts. I repair Bass guitars.
I’ve never played Bass before, not that I’ve not tried, many times even two years of lessons one to one.
So, this is an 11th hour for me. the 3 month Schedule is on the wall, date marked on the calendar, my index and ring finger are doing 100 push-ups a day. My left hand pinkie is carbing hard on banana’s (Some Top Bass Teachers Secret weapon). If his Bass hand mates middle and ringo get their arthritis sorted. The 1st of April should all be good for this old Fool :slight_smile:

JT

5 Likes

How does that work? Do you peel the bananas with your pinkie? Inquiring minds want to know. :thinking:

4 Likes

Ah cool, that makes sense then.
About the date thing I mean - not so sure about the shipping a bass from Russia to Bonnie Scotland though lol. Couldn’t you find one a bit nearer to home?
Whereabouts in Scotland are you? I’ve been to Edinburgh a few times, and went to Outer Hebredes on my motorbike three or four years ago.
I live in the Birmingham area.
So you repair basses then ? Interesting. Do you do setups?
I set all mine up. In fact I got some Hosco nut files delivered a couple of days ago, after putting off splashing out for maybe a year. £80 for 3 double edged files. Shocking. I used to do nut slots with those cheapo needle files, but my eyes arent up to it anymore, so I had to bite the bullet and buy some pro ones.

2 Likes

Sorry Pam,
I just spoke to my pinkie and he is refusing to talk about the banana thing.
JT

2 Likes

Yeah, of course. That’s the first rule of Banana Club…

2 Likes

@KnuckleHead Welcome to the BassBuzz forum!

When you have time, join us on the Introduce Yourself! thread.

If you want to post original material, go here…
Post Your Original Songs/Compositions!

If you want to post a cover, go here…
Post Your Covers!

Those two threads should give you a pretty good idea of what to expect. If you’re still hesitant, include what kind of input you’re interested in. I’m sure the community will oblige.

Also, would anyone be interested in a thread devoted to posting smaller videos for review of tone, technique, or whatever. It might help ease people into posting on the other two threads.

4 Likes

Welcome! This is definitely a friendly zone since many of us are just starting out with limited experience, etc. and it’s a great community for sharing your work and asking for opinions or constructive tips. No matter how raw or unpolished your audio or video may be. There are also several more experienced musicians that lurk about, and often offer advice and support. No bad attitudes here!

2 Likes

I posted a video on here a week or two ago. It was my first video. I recorded it just with my phone’s camera app. I look like I’m going to murder someone in the video and it is far from perfect. However, I’ll definitely do more, because it’s a great way to interact with the community. Early videos are the best so you can get friendly advice on correcting any possible bad habits or get tips for doing something easier. Everything will be constructive though and will likely come with a caveat that you should decide how you want to play. No-one is going to force you to change anything. The key is to have fun.

Also, don’t stress about doing 20 takes to get it perfect either. I’d do a few takes and just grab the best one. No-one is expecting perfection. Even Josh is human and still makes mistakes.

Your decision though. Sounds like you want to do it, so I’d just do it. We won’t bite. I promise. :blush:

4 Likes

I’ve used them before, drool. You got a good price there. I’m slip file and abrasive slips. Unless it’s a vintage, I’ll go new nut rather than fix a hack. I have a hegner fret saw for cutting the bulk, much easier to see.
I’m on the River Doon in Ayshire, coos n tatties
Set ups, yes if there while you waits. I also make bodies for for J on P. Thats fun.
JT

2 Likes