COUNTING in B2B Workouts? (opinions needed)

Hey gang! I’d love your input so I can learn and improve for future lessons.

As you know, I often count (1 2 3 4) along with you during the workouts in B2B. I wanna know - did that help you stay in the groove, or was it distracting? Or a mix of both? Hit me with your best shot in this poll, and please post more thoughts below! Appreciate it.

• There was the perfect amount of counting for my learning experience
  • Too much counting Josh, just let me feel the music
0 voters
8 Likes

The counting never bothered me. However, when I first took the course and was going through a workout, often when you made a comment, I would focus on you and lose the groove. Doesn’t happen now but was a thing as a beginner.

6 Likes

Hey Josh, I’m working through module 10 atm. In general I like the counting unless its something that I need to spend more of my limited focus on. I appreciate it more on stuff like the slow workouts, where I have a harder time keeping myself in check. At this point in the course, I can mostly get there myself with foot tapping or listening to the drums.

5 Likes

It’s been some time I finished the course, however I felt that the counting was distracting during some of the lessons. Don’t ask me which one’s though, too long ago :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Just to say I haven’t finished the course yet - so far I think the counting is super helpful, but I also like when you do some without counting so I’m not reliant on you and remember to count for myself!! :smiling_face: So my vote would be both.

5 Likes

It’s been a while… 5 years, but I don’t remember your counting ever bothering me. I think it’s good to have as a “crutch”, and I probably appreciated it much more than I “hated” it.

5 Likes

Never bothered me!

4 Likes

My Roland V-Drum has a counting feature I use it all the time. Even when I disable that my brain still recall the counting and properly give me the reference.

6 Likes

I found it very helpful, as it gave me a feel for the rhythm of the song!

Also:

8 Likes

For beginners, counting is necessary and important.

Yeah, it can also be distracting because beginners are doing the equivalent of learning how to chew gum while rubbing their stomachs and patting their heads as they recite the Chinese alphabet, backwards.

But check out the majority of the Buzzers’ comments and you’ll see that either it didn’t bother them at all, or they can’t recall it bothering them. Strong testaments that your counting instincts were right on.

And, for the record, the counting wasn’t distracting in the least for me. :1234:

9 Likes

Even though I played trumpet at school, including in a 3 piece where counting is important, it has always been a weakness for me and I have always tended to try to follow the beat or the vibe of the piece (I wonder why I was drawn to bass).
Your counting system works well.
Whether people like counting or not (me) it is an important skill we need to learn.

7 Likes

Keep it in! I “played by feel” on guitar for years but turns out I had no clue what I was doing. Your course taught me how it works. The counting and the beat ruler unlocked things like syncopation for me.

9 Likes

Hey Josh! It’s a mixed bag for me. I do find it helpful… but also I’m trying to listen for the drums more and it does kinda detract from that just a little. I like how in the fast workouts typically you’ll stop counting for a bit after getting things started. It might be helpful if you did a little of that in the slow and medium sessions as well?

What would really be cool, if the technology could support it, is having the drums, a click track, and you counting all available as stems that the student can blend as they see fit. With some defaults of course, in case the student isn’t quite sure yet.

6 Likes

Gday Josh, the counting never bothered me :+1:
Cheers Brian

7 Likes

Without the counting I’m lost…:sweat_smile:

It’s getting better now, I’m currently at the last lesson of module 11, but I still appreciate the counting.

7 Likes

As a beginner and learning a new song during a lesson the counting helps me. After I have the notes down and the feel of the song I move to the included practice loops so I can work on it without Josh. I would guess that other beginners like myself do this as well. Keep counting Josh, it helps.

6 Likes

I like this counting, it’s an interesting part of the course in my opinion

5 Likes

It’s been a while, but I don’t recall the counting distracting me. I like to have a count even now.

5 Likes

It was very helpful for me.

But I also remember that in one video, you you stopped counting for the second half or so, which also was cool, it kinda is like learning to ride the bike, someone is running along and holding it, then lets go at one point and you realize you can do it on your own.

7 Likes

don’t mind them at all

5 Likes