COUNTING in B2B Workouts? (opinions needed)

I like the counting as my timing is terrible! Saying that I do go over the parts where you don’t count to help myself improve.

5 Likes

When I am learning something new I always play it very slowly while counting out loud. I find it really helps… I would prefer it if you left the counting in.

Griff Hamlin in his blues guitar courses makes a big deal of counting everything out loud. He counts out pretty much everything in his courses. He says do what I do and count it along with me and it works for me.

5 Likes

It’s been a few years since I completed the course and remember appreciating the counting in each of the lessons. As I progressed, I moved more into the “feel” of the groove - a normal progression I suppose….

Having been involved in taking drum lessons for a little while now, I have come to realize just how important counting is - especially when I’m not only using two hands as I do playing bass, but now two hands and both feet….

Counting has now become a somewhat necessary tool for me to lean on and I’m glad I got a good dose of it when I took B2B back in the summer of 2019…. Keep it in @JoshFossgreen - or possibly include a little more….

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

4 Likes

Being a very newbie to playing an instrument, almost anything is a distraction. I believe the counting is necessary and yes it is distracting a times but necessary to learn. Don’t stop counting. Also, don’t stop the beat ruler. It has been most useful!!! I miss your beat ruler when learning songs outside of B2B. Is there a best practice when creating my own beat rulers for songs that only have tabs on YouTube, etc. Thanks again!!

5 Likes

Yes I would agree with Wombat-metal. I actually appreciated the counting for half of the workout and then without it in the last part. But I did get distracted when you made comments - not so bad later in the course but in the beginning…it doesn’t take much…lol
Does this mean Josh is working on the next course that I eagerly await?

7 Likes

Yes, having a Conductor helps.

4 Likes

Not distracting for me, very helpful. Got me in the habit of counting when learning new stuff as well.

4 Likes

I’m not sure if my personal experience is applicable to everybody but I never count when I play. Counting just distracts me and strips my focus away from the music. That said, your counting never bothered me while I was doing the course :man_shrugging:t2:

4 Likes

As a “semi-newbie” to the bass and a virgin to the course, I can say that I appreciate the counting and actually will close my eyes or gaze out the window and “listen” to the counts and music to “feel” where everything should come together.

5 Likes

Bass players are percussionists. We need to learn how to count. I found it (and your ruler) very helpful. A few years after completing B2B I bought a drum kit and took drum lessons for six months to continue my rhythmic learning.

5 Likes

The counting was perfect for me; help get us started, tell us what part of the drums you listen to to help you keep time and then stopped the counting to let us try just listening to the drums.

With the course extras, you always had the option to just use the separate tracks and tab, if needed.

I’m really hoping this means there is another course in the works and if it has a more intermediate level to it, you may not need as much counting, but would definitely keep the explaining what you are listening for to keep time.

The Ultimate Groove Workout was also key in helping to understand the beat so if there was a part 2 for that, it would be awesome.

4 Likes

Went back and watched a couple of them, and the counting is very good as the rest of B2B. :slight_smile: What I think should be added is the possibility to get feedback of your playing. Let’s say half way in there should be a test, you upload and get feedback on technique, like your left hand should be more straight, thumb is too high and so on. But that could also be a module after the B2B. I for one would pay to get feedback and tailored things to work on, but the counting is good. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Honestly I stopped doing the course which sucks BECAUSE of the counting. Im dyslexic so the moment you start droppings numbers non stop throughout the entire first lesson, I hear noise and thats it for me.

2 Likes

I did not like how much counting there was. For the first time through a line it was no problem but hearing counting all the way through every bar was annoying. I found myself saying “stop counting already!” many times as I worked my way through the course. (which I thoroughly enjoyed, by the way!)

4 Likes

So the way you did it in Module 6 Lesson 3 was perfect if you ask me. Starting off counting, then transitioning to keeping time by making a high hat sound, then finishing up by just letting us listen for the drums. By the time it was just the drums it felt easier to get in sync with them this way.

3 Likes

A mix, as you do in the fast workouts, is perfect. Starting with the counts, so I can align, but letting me feel the music in the second part (I’m at module 3 now, so commenting on what I’ve see so far)

One thing I would like to mention, if you can add from the beginning of the workouts, or as an attached image below the video, the tabs. I find myself wanting to go back to the workouts, to practice things I feel needing more practice, but I want to be ready with what I need to do before it starts, and not roll back after the first minute. Nothing major, but can improve the experience

2 Likes

I voted “too much counting” because I played a lot of guitar before coming to this course, so for me, the counting wasn’t needed. It wasn’t a distraction, though. Helpful for real beginners, I assume.

3 Likes

I’m going to vote it was appropriate, but I have mixed feelings. I’ve played another instrument, so sometimes it bored m, but other times it helped me stay disciplined.

2 Likes

I like counting, and I think as musicians we are always counting, even silently. Since you asked for feedback, one very small criticism I have: In the early parts of some lessons, as you are talking us through the notes during a count, the talking gets in the way and you lose the beat. That’s distracting to me. As I said, a very small criticism of a great course.

5 Likes

The counting is fine for me. Lets me know the timing as I’m not always figuring the same speed as you are playing.

4 Likes