D.I.Y. Pedal building

Hey all, I was just wondering if anyone else has tried their hands at building their own effects pedals?

This was my first and only build so far it is a fuzz pedal in the same vein as the Zvex wooly mammoth. Since they are usually pretty pricey I found the means to build my own. Since then, I have been pondering my next project.

10 Likes

I’ve done more or less one million :grin: (modifications + build from scratch) not including the ones I designed for others, without actually building them.

your fuzz looks super cool !

also here is a custom one, with an acid-etched graphic, that a friend made for me and gave me last week as a gift :

7 Likes

Woah! that’s on another level. So cool!

5 Likes

not really, your pedal is ultra cool already ! :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Thanks!

4 Likes

Awesome!

I’ve never built a pedal, looks like fun. Closest for me is I built an amp once but that was in high school.

There’s some pretty interesting kits out there! This one looks cool to me:

https://www.musikding.de/Guma-Drive-Overdrive-kit

Darkglass B3k clone for 33euro. Sounds pretty good to me:

Looks like it might need some SMD soldering for the bypass relay though, which I’ve never done.

4 Likes

it’s a bit tricky but not impossible at all.

I like this kit, might get one … from the same company, I have been looking on this one : Pumpernickel compressor kit, 75,00 €

@howard do you know the difference between the link you showed and this kit ? Guma Antique - Overdrive kit, 31,00 €

4 Likes

Cool compressor, love the LED level meter.

Looks like the “antique” is a clone of the Vintage Microtubes and not the B3k:

Also sounds really good but more tube-screamer like than the more modern sound of the B3k.

4 Likes

yeah it’s hard to tell with only samples (not the same thing than actually playing the gear !) but I like the “vintage”. the B3K kinda sounds a bit too high-mid for me. also it’s a bass tone only and it probably works way better in a mix.

anyway those kits are cool … and Germany is not far at all from France, so the shipping costs are really low … :grin: …

4 Likes

holy mother of God … Growling Krizzly Deluxe kit, 78,00 €

4 Likes

:open_mouth:

holy crap it’s a disembodied RB preamp in a box

4 Likes

yeah it is …

4 Likes

that’s probably a keeper :slight_smile:

66euro for something that would be at least 300 if it were an actual product.

I mean, G-K could make bank selling that themselves.

3 Likes

yeah, but maybe they want to focus on their current digital preamp

5 Likes

Was this a kit? If so, where did you get it?

4 Likes

Wow I actually didn’t realize there were so many kits out there… I just found some websites with the printed circuit boards and instructions but I sourced all the parts myself. Which is way more work than building the darn thing. I might have to look into these kits for my next build!

Pedal PCB

Very cool website and where I found the circuit board for the wooly mammoth clone

2 Likes

A y US sites with those kits, or kits like it?
I would love to build some stuff.

Heck, build them and sell them assembled for a profit, hmmmm. Wonder if that would work out.

As far as time, Idc about that, it it was a $20-$40 profit would be cool.

Plus building for me, just get mine paid for.

But do you guys know if there are US sites @howard, @terb?

2 Likes

I don’t know of any. I do know those B3k clones sell for about $100 in Japan.

Microtubes B3k and Vintage Microtubes are solid pedals - I love my Microtubes X. I’m a pretty big fan of Darkglass. So those clones are great bargains for that price if you have the skills to make them.

2 Likes

I have done some circuit board and soldering, I have mechanical background, and am a machinist, programmer, application engineer, and mechanical designer with production and assembly experience.
Now if I have the tools to do the work or not, I kind of have to see the kit and see how much is done already.

2 Likes

in France I’m pretty sure you won’t make any profit by selling assembled kits.

1 Like