D.I.Y. Pedal building

quick and (very) dirty record, just between the 2nd and 3rd morning coffee :sleeping:

I might have been on the agressive side, setting-wise … :grin: … but that’s for that chainsaw-attack that I love those GK. the preamp doesn’t lack gain, I’m only at 5 on the volume (gain) and 5 on the boost.

Played with Greenie and a pick, obviously. The cab sim is the Ampeg SVT 8x10 from Line6 POD Farm. The preamp is connected to the DAI with the XLR DI.

6 Likes

Man, that sounds good!

3 Likes

Yep, that’s a G-K all right :slight_smile:

Sounds awesome.

4 Likes

I like those kits from MusicDing. not crazy expensive (at least here, close to Germany, where the shipping cost are low), really high quality and with a lot of choice.

now I have the Guma Antique (Darkglass Vintage Microtubes) kit to build … and after that I plan to eventually build :

• the Acapulco overdrive (for guitar)
  • the MadBox in the dual blendable parallel loops version
  • probably the Guma Drive (Darkglass B3K)
  • possibly the Muff Green Russian , a copy of my favorite Big Muff version (the russian made with military parts)

nice little projects, I liked to build the GK during random spare time and with no deadline. by the way the GK is by far the most complicated projects on the list (except maybe the Guma Antique because of the SMD components).

3 Likes

It looks like that SMD component is available pre-soldered to an IC socket adapter board? Or do you have to solder it? I couldn’t quite tell from the instructions.

2 Likes

I have to solder all the SMD components. but that’s fine … I modified a few Nintendo Game Cube in the past, and this Guma Drive can’t really be more complicated, I think :grin:

2 Likes

I think they sent you the torture version :sweat_smile:. Unless we are using the term SMD differently, this one only has one chip …

https://schalltechnik04.de/de/anleitungen/guma-antique/11

2 Likes

one chip (MC33179) + two transistors (J201)

3 Likes

Ah, missed those. Ugh. SMD scares me.

2 Likes

Plus the chips are socketed :slight_smile:

Still sad I had to cancel that kit. Looks super fun. I really liked Musikdings, the customer service there was really helpful.

2 Likes

Love this, liked it so much, I got my headphones to hear it better a second time! Great tone, great riff!

2 Likes

first time I do brushed aluminum by myself. the front face is brushed and the other sides are roughly polished. this is for my Guma Antique (Darkglass VMT clone).

8 Likes

Looks good :star_struck:

2 Likes

a few new kits :

5 Likes

Looks really nice. Did you wire brush it to get that effect?

Are you going to add your logo to this one? I was expecting to see it somewhere on the Krizzly.

it’s made with sandpaper an a special jig to force the aluminum to be brushed with a constant angle, so the marks left by the sandpaper are all parallel.

I won’t add my logo because it’s not one of my circuit but I’ve already done a (simple) custom pain for the VMT / Guma Antique … you’ll see it soon :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Were you planning to build this pedal with a blend knob for bass or were you building it for guitar?

I fact I won’t need a blend knob because I’m curently building a Buff’n’blend (I modify it to build it as a separated pedal, so I can basically add a blend pot and a true bypass to any pedal, including all of my guitar overdrives) and a Pro-Cessor which is some kind of hardcore version of a parallel loop :grin:

(the buff’n’blend is more for a live/pedalboard use, the pro-cessor is more a studio tool)

1 Like

Really cool @terb! Just out of curiosity how long does it take to build a pedal (from idea to final result)

2 Likes

I don’t know really : I do this when I have 5 or 10 minutes but it can takes several months. it would be very different if I really took the time to do it seriously.

also the circuits and complexity are very different from one pedal to another. for example the Buff’n’blend is much simpler than the GK preamp I’ve done previously. no comparison really.

2 Likes