Darkglass Electronics

This is applying the doubling twice. CD quality was set at 44.1 to push the aliasing out to 22k, supposedly above human hearing. It isn’t necessary to sample any higher than 44.1 to print at 44.1. Otherwise this logic keeps doubling at every step in the process.

Higher sampling rates may be valid for other reasons.

4 Likes

Thanks for the in depth response. I won’t pretend to understand all (most) of it but I did get enough for my purposes.

2 Likes

Yes and no, but it is kind of esoteric.

If your target is to get the same discrete sample values at 44.1kHz as a rendered 44.1kHz file containing the sound you are sampling, then you must sample at at least 88.2kHz.

Will those aliasing errors be audible, though? No. For the reason you mentioned.

3 Likes

Is this getting into the area of when you can’t hear something but you can still feel it? Particularly if it’s something that’s missing?

3 Likes

Not exactly - Dave and I were discussing my first point there. The second point - harmonic fold-back - is still valid though. However, this is probably going to be a factor mostly for things like synths (or bass and guitar with effects that add lots of harmonics - like, say, a big muff.)

Check the blog post and play the audio link - that file is the audible difference between the same song rendered at 96kHz and 44.1kHz.

2 Likes

This I’ve been able to hear in controlled experiments. I’d be hard pressed to tell the difference between recorded at 96 and rendered at 44.1 vs. recorded at 48 and rendered at 44.1.

5 Likes

You can still use the XLR output on your Element if you want to record into your DAI. Most devices that aren’t build specifically as a DAI will have a similar rate. I don’t think it’s that strange because you pay for a DAI or a pedal with a different goal. Element is originally sold as a headphone cabsim device. Same goes for any multi-effects device that can act as an audio interface. The audio interface is just a nice extra feature imo.

I’m not going to say anything about the 48kHz sampling rate thing. :laughing: I have read so much discussions about this topic… If you really want to go in serious recording you should use a DAI anyway.

3 Likes

I think the effect on the sound of the captured recording at 96 vs 44 will depend a lot on the harmonics of the instrument being recorded, kind of as illustrated in that blog post. He’s talking about generation but the same aliasing foldback effects would come in to play on sampling a signal too.

But the nice thing is, it’s easily avoidable - just always try and maximize sampling rate :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yep. To be clear - my only issue with the thing would be as a primary audio interface. Overall I still think it’s an amazing souding product.

4 Likes

Yeah it is for sure. I don’t want to derail the topic too much but there is actually a small difference between budget and high-end audio interfaces as well. High-end tend to record a much cleaner input.

4 Likes

Probably more than a small difference actually, yeah, especially for mic preamps but really the whole ADC.

4 Likes

It’s hard not to when so many devices and technologies all tie in together.

2 Likes

I’m in total agreement that anyone capturing sound for demo or production purposes is going to do it at higher sample rates. It’s too easy and the possibility to print higher resolution media exists.

I’m being unnecessarily nit picky about the accuracy of a technical point that actually doesn’t practically matter except in the incredibly rare case someone is running a pro recording operation with an Element. I’ll bet the large majority would be hard pressed to detect the difference between an Element and a pro DAI in a double blind test. For my purposes it’s enough that I wouldn’t spend extra on a DAI.

7 Likes

Its still relevant to a Darkglass electronic, so its not derailed really. I think it is useful info for somebody considering the Element for a main DAI, that may want to home produce their own music for many reasons. (like streaming or making a full record, or soundtrack)
Keep up the good discussion IMO, and if you are done, great info given.
not that I am looking at the product, or a DAI even, but it helps for anyone that is.

5 Likes

At the minute I’m torn between getting an Element for cab-sim and bluetooth playback or just plugging a NUX into the end of my signal chain (last pedal), assuming that would work. I’m tired of AUX cables…

3 Likes

I just bought the hyperluminal, review in the pedal thread.

but I agree that my initial impressions of the finger touch sensors are not good. difficult to use and seems gimmicky.

4 Likes

Someone else mentioned this in the thread (and I think even Doug himself said it on the Talkbass forums) that it is important that you use it on a hard surface. Had the same issue with my Element at start but now it’s completely fine. There could be a sensitivity option in the Darkglass Suite for your hyperluminal. Just set it on the highest setting. :wink:

4 Likes

Hi the darkglass is just cab sims right no effects or ability to put effects together like a hx stomp or pod go? Im just trying to work out what would be better for me… With the pod which I was thinking of getting doesnt have bluetooth or a great way of jamming with tracks through headphone like the element, the volume on the aux isnt great apparently… But the element just has cab sims which I know nothing about but the functionality I would like… What I need is a combination of the element and a pod go or hx stomp lol.

2 Likes

The Element has cab sims, but no effects. Darkglass as a company doesn’t really go into effects apart from distortion. If you want a high-end one-stop solution, the HX Stomp has effects and cab sims, but no Bluetooth to my knowledge. However, the Element has more cab sims. Keep in mind that the cab sims only work on the XLR out I believe, so you won’t hear them through your own amp I think. One theoretical solution I haven’t tried, but think would work, is to take a NUX Bluetooth headphone adapter and plug it into the end of your signal chain. Then that gives you Bluetooth and headphones to any combination of pedals you have, or straight into the bass itself.

3 Likes

I was hoping not to go down the pedal route thats why I was thinking stomp or go… I have the vox which the straight up bass sounds great the aux for phone not so great but will do till I find a better option… Thanks

I think you can connect phone via usb with stomp gonna see if you can do it with the go… Not trying to derail thread just sharing.

3 Likes