Darkglass Electronics

Thanks @eric.kiser ! Not sure yet but I do very much like the convenience of having one pedal. I might sell my other DG pedals because I’m 100% sure they will launch a similar pedal in the future for the Microtubes series.

I don’t always have the urge to sell tho. It’s a complete different sound I get with other pedals and sometimes it’s nice to fall back on what you have. Decisions, decisions…

5 Likes

Alpha·Omega Φoton - YouTube

2 Likes

@Glitch just paste the plain link to the video as displayed in your browser’s address bar. Like this:

… Or use the Share option in YouTube, that should do it as well.

4 Likes

I was looking at their pedals and found this illegally cool sounding and decked out preamp+distortion pedal: Alpha·Omega Φoton - YouTube
Anybody have any experience with their stuff?

3 Likes

Darkglass is absolutely top notch. They have a somewhat distinctive sound and lean towards heavily scooped distortion and clank but offer good mids control as well; I would say listen to some youtube videos of the normal Alpha/Omega to see if you like it.

2 Likes

:point_up: this. I’m a big fan and actually own quite a few Darkglass pedals. I wasn’t interested in the ADAM but The A/O Photon is amazing.

This is a good demo on how they compare in sound (too bad they didn’t tested the Microtubes X)

3 Likes

My Element finally arrived today, and this is exactly how I’m feeling as well. Some of the IRs sound awesome out of the box, but holy crap there are so many things you can change… The knobs on the amp sim, choosing the cab sim, choosing the type of microphone and its placement, the 6-band eq, etc. You could spend days on just one cab sim trying out all the options to figure out what sounds good and what doesn’t.

2 Likes

Same with the B7K cab sims and microphone choices @akos

What I did is zipped through a bunch of combos (not even close to all), made notes on which ones I liked, listeners online or some and copied. And left it alone. I use the ones I like. Then, if one day I feel like fiddling again with it I will otherwise I ignore all the options.

Ain’t nobody got time for that.

1 Like

Just pick a 4x10 or 8x10 cab, SM57 mic, put it 30-50% off center, and call it a day :rofl:

3 Likes

To be honest thats what I did. I only switch between 4/8x10 and 2x12 cabs.

2 Likes

Sold everything except the Element.

2 Likes

You did keep the Photon, right?

1 Like

Yep, loving that thing! It’s really interesting to see how DG is investing in digital right now. Gregor from Basstheworld said something similar about the new Exponent amp.

2 Likes

I ended up returning mine… My 30-day refund window was expiring, and Darkglass are still “looking into” my issue.

Sucks because I really liked the feature set of that pedal, but in practice it did not deliver on any of them.

2 Likes

Yeah kinda sucks if you get a faulty unit. Too bad it didn’t worked out for you. I’m mainly keeping it for the cab sims. Kinda hoping they will update the software on the Element too, turning it into a multi-fx pedal. Buuuut I guess it’s more likely that they will release a future version of the Element with more DSP capabilities. :person_shrugging:

2 Likes

Amos Heller made a really nice demo about the new Photon. The learning curve is a bit steep so that is also one of the reasons I had to let go of some of my pedals to get some headroom (see what I did there?).

The new Exponent 500 amp might have been a better match for me since it has more effects and can actually connect to a cabinet, but I find the 999 euro price tag a bit too hefty.

2 Likes

They definitely think very highly of it. And that’s before whatever footswitch wizardry they come up, or you add your own MIDI controller.

1 Like

i also returning an element mine was defective new in box. Sadly

1 Like

Is this bad news or good… discuss :thinking:

3 Likes

Well, they were already their NA distributor. And I’m pretty sure the Exponent 500 is already made in China as it only says “designed in Finland” on it vs “Made in Finland.”

Tbh it saddens or angers me. I’m fucking tired of companies being added to another bigger company’s “portfolio.” Fender especially pisses me off knowing what I know about the Rumble and how they advertise if as if they didn’t just buy all the tech used in the Rumbles :tipping_hand_woman:t2: (SWR amp section, iirc, and Genz Benz speakers/cabs). But I digress.

I don’t like it, but it doesn’t matter what I do or do not like. Funny that I said Korg owned Darkglass like a month or two ago and then went “whups, no, Korg just distributes them in North America” lol.

4 Likes