Demotivating bass lessons?

@autumnsdad1990 - I learned a long time ago not to compare your progress with others. You don’t know their backgrounds in music, etc. If I compared my progress on sax to others I’d be playing the triangle. Everyone learns at their own pace, and how much time you can put in really matters. I think we all (no matter what stage) wish we were better than we are and learn faster than we do.

Do you, do it well. Enjoy the journey. It’s all that matters.

1 Like

Looks as if this thread is going viral . . . :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sounds to me like you have the right attitude.
Where are you in the B2B course?

Just don’t give up and keep at it. :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Conversely, when I put in the work I get a THRILL when I can stay with Stevie Ray Vaughn.
But, with an old bastid like me, I need to put the work in.

A demotivating lesson is one I just can’t seem to get.
An old teacher used to tell me “slower is faster”.
Take it one note at a time at snails pace.

-Doc

2 Likes

So where did you get your duvet cover?

4 Likes

I got a chuckle out of this.

One of the things, way back when I was playing 3rd cornet in a brass band, that surprised me, is that there is sheet music for the triangle.

You ain’t seen complicated sheet music until you start introducing 1/32 and 1/64 notes into the mix. I have seen cornet music that had less white background on the paper than the ink used to show the notes. The Flight of the Bumblebee comes to mind :rofl:

Another surprise was seeing sheet music for a timpani that had scales on it. Guess it makes sense since you can change the head tension while playing.

Amazing the things you pick up along the way on the musical journey and it never seems to end. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

–the fuck is a duvet?

2 Likes

@Old_Noob Dictionary.com says:

noun

1. a usually down-filled quilt, often with a removable cover; comforter.

Origin of duvet

1750–60; <French: down (plumage), Middle French, alteration of dumet, derivative of Old French dum ≪ Old Norse dūnndown2

I just thought it was the removable cover, or a quilt/comforter that had a removable cover, but I guess it can be just the quilt without the cover. A bit confusing.

2 Likes

@Old_WannaBe would you prefer I used the word doona?

1 Like

comforter?

2 Likes

Very similar. If you are from the USA then you’d probably use the word comforter.
Subtle difference between them though.
A duvet has a cover and sits directly on the bed. A comforter has a fixed cover and a sheet is normally placed between it and the bed.
Now back to Bass :grin:

2 Likes

Comforters and quilts are not the same

2 Likes

Thank you for all the good stuff everybody! Keep it coming!

I love this - maybe we should start a “Post your WORST covers” thread where we’re all encouraged to just put something up even/especially if it sucks. I’ll join, I have plenty of suckage available too!

And just to speak to the most important theme in this thread - I’m from the US and I do know what a duvet is. :crazy_face:

12 Likes

(cringes) I’m in.

3 Likes

I’m in my third pass. Been playing for about 9 months now. I regularly use the lessons and am currently working my way through the 50 songs in the course extras.

This is actually a little dream I always had. Being able to learn my own pace is good.

2 Likes

It’s a Canadian couch. And if you think that’s funny, ask about the garburator and Kraft dinner.

? Is that Canadian slang?

2 Likes

I already do this! Every single one of my vocals :rofl:

4 Likes

Yeah, but you are one of those fancy, high-fallutin. hip coastie folks. Us salt of the earth midwesterners in my parts dont care for fancy french-named things.

The French established roots in the Midwest as far back as the 1600’s. The only reason there’s not more French colonial influence is The Treaty of Paris. France lost the war and gave all of it’s North American holdings to Britain. Au Revoir France!
At it’s peak, France owned all the green part of the map.

2 Likes