Do I need two basses if I am a beginner?

I love your collection, @Al1885, puts my modest 4 to shame!

@diego.rami97, I started learning last August. As I mentioned above, I’m an advocate of second hand - let someone else take the devaluation initial hit. You can pick up lightly used instruments for 50% to 70% of retail on the used market if you search around, then sell them on, if you don’t like them, for much the same.

While I have 4 basses, over the past year, I’ve owned 8 or 9.

So do you need a second bass? Of course, objectively, probably not. Should you get a second, or third bass? Unquestionably yes!

5 Likes

If you don’t have a particular sound, then most basses will fit the bill. You might like a jazz with a jazz profile neck, a lot of people do. Squier Classic Vibe is a good line.

2 Likes

If it helps my journey was

1. cheap Ibanez : good playability but didn’t like the sound so much (was more into P sound) - still own it on countryside, looking at changing PU
  2. decided to upgrade and hesitated btw P and J ; went for Squier P after trying both P and J - was a big upgrade for me (went for flats later)
  3. wanted to add a J, went for Fender MIM - I like it , not full love but I play it 50/ 50

4… still to be purchased
a. upgrade P to Fender MIA / CS
b. Sandberg VM to introduce some HH / Stingray sound and upgrade P
c. Dingwall NG3 5 for a complete different sound / proposal
d. Stingray … cause it’s Stingray

5 Likes

Amazing collection you have there :slight_smile:

Can you settle a question for hubby and I? Is this a 6 string bass or a guitar? We were debating the string thickness compared to the very obviously a guitar to it’s right trying to decide.

3 Likes

I currently have 5. I’ve had as many as 9. My wife laughs whenever I tell her that my collection is good and I have everything I need. Lately my main players are both passive, a Fender Aerodyne P with flats and a Reverend Dub King with rounds. I take them both to gigs and swap depending on the sound I want.

You only need however many your budget can allow. While music is just my hobby, I do try to keep it self supporting with gigs, and I only spend gig money on my instruments. That way the wifey can’t complain. Wait… one of those is a Banjo :smiley:

7 Likes

Love the Dub King … very much!!! :heart:

4 Likes

It’s a Godin ACS SA nylon classical guitar with a little bells and whistles it can be plugged into a, for example Roland GR-55 for all kinds on midi sounds.

2 Likes

Wifey calls it my Avocado! haha

3 Likes

Oh no you have @Whying_Dutchman Avocado bass. :joy:

5 Likes

Ahh, thank ya, I’ll tell the smug bugger he was right :wink:

2 Likes

Yes! And I don’t dare to ask how that bass plays!!!

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum! Fellow beginner here. I bought my first bass, a Squier Affinity PJ in 2023, signed up for BB, but for myriad reasons found myself not keeping up with it. The PJ just stared at me from the corner, shaming me. So, after the new year I decided that a good carrot would be to buy a second bass, one that a favorite bassist plays. It’s a very different style and sound (Epiphone Thunderbird, bought used for a good price), and so far having the two has kept me on a better track in 2024. You can use this post as an excuse if you need one :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

If you are here in the States check out Proaudiostar. You can checkout their open box or returned classic vibe Squier. Their price is pretty great.
The classic vibe build quality is at minimum on par with made in Mexico or even better quality. MiM during COVID era are just simply terrible.

2 Likes

+1 for ProAudio. It’s a quality vendor.

Pitbull Audio is another great online resource for basses and gear.

2 Likes

I still like the Avacado Bass- just wish I could afford one.

3 Likes

:point_up_2:
I got the Classic Vibe 70’s Walnut and it feels better than some of the Fenders I tried on the store. It’s fantastic!

3 Likes

That bass will be quite unique. The large pole piece will offer an immediate attack instead of the Mudbucker tone from pickup at the neck heel, join force with MM style pickup at the bridge will make for an awesome aggressive tone not usually found on a semi hollow bass. Obviously, it can be civilized like the rest. It’s on my list for sure.

3 Likes

It plays great! The short scale is very comfortable for my 50 year old hands. I wish it was two volumes instead of a pan though. I keep it rolled slightly to the bridge, volume dimed out, and the tone knob about 50%.

My band plays old country with some rock and blues tossed in. I use the dub king for the rock and blues, and my P with flats for the old country. The P could do both just fine, but I’m lazy and don’t like messing with knobs much mid gig.

3 Likes

^this

Also, the P pickup is a reverse P. I feel like it balances out the tone a bit. The E and A strings are less muddy.

3 Likes

Agree. I tried out a Fender P alongside my BB with the reverse P setup and I thought the tone on the BB was much more “P-like” and growly because of the way the pickups are configured.

2 Likes