Do you name your basses?

I’ve always had a habit of naming things: cars, sewing machines, and of course instruments. My primary bass (a Fender P-Bass Special) is named Rosalind, Ros for short; but I realize now that I never named my beginner bass (a First Act short scale).

2 Likes

Reviving this dormant thread…
My current basses are: Paulette, Tina, and Rosie. Paulette is the Hofner Violin (a female variation of Paul McCartney), Tina is the Frank Bello ESP (named after my heroin Tina Weymouth), and Rosie is the Hofner Club (Rosie III). I’ve actually had two other Rosies before her:

3 Likes

Strangly, I only have names for things I don’t own. Naming things is something I do if a name for it immediatly pops into my head, and mostly those are song or movie references.

If I ever would own a gun, I would name it Winona. (Just as Crichton’s gun in Farscape)
If I ever had a dog, I would name it Salt Shaker (as I am German, this would be “Salzstreuer”)
I had a car once that I named Black Sunshine, after the White Zombie song.

Everything I own right now just didn’t spark an idea for a name.

3 Likes

Not officially, no. Although my basses do tend to take on various names based on mood and how well(or not) I’m playing.

3 Likes

Oddly, my P-bass came with a name. LsL, the boutique shop that built it, doesn’t use serial numbers. Each instrument has a name. Mine came with a sticker on the neck plate that read “Crystal.”
Um, no.
I apologize to all the Crystals out there, but my bass does not get a stripper name.

2 Likes

Not consciously. However, they each wind up with at least a nickname.

Like, my Carvins are alternately “big Carvin” or “the big one” (for the neck-through-body, 24 fret LB20), or “little Carvin” or “the little one” (for the bolt-on neck, 22 fret B4). Although I often do also refer to them as “LB” or “B4”.

My Ibanezes (Ibanezez?) are generally “300” and “500” (for the SR300 and SR500EPB, respectively). Although for all the trouble I’ve had with it, I’m probably going to stick 500 with a “troublemaker” or “hooligan” nickname or something. LOL.

1 Like

I was thinking of calling my P Bass ‘Highlander’
The logic is that I’m trying very hard to be the antithesis of some of the more encourageable members of this forum and focus on a single bass.
So you know ‘There can be only one’.

6a01538e92ee33970b022ad3bdac36200b

4 Likes

And on the main stage it’s Crystal…next up, Tiffany…

3 Likes

I look at my olive green music man, and think “Olive”, then think well that is dumb and obvious.
I look at my red and gold bass and think “Ruby”, then think, well that is dumb & obvious too.
I look at my '61 P and think “Jamie”, for James Jamerson, and then think, well, also dumb and obvious.
The two blue Aerodynes - no idea.
Squire 70’s CV - no clue
Fretless - no clue
Ray4 with the SIMs - no clue

I am usually more creative then this but never really named any of my inaminate objects.
I’ve settled on Betty for my Gretsch, I am a big Betty Page fan and that one fits her the most.
But that’s all I got.

2 Likes

Now I feel sheepish naming my rose adorned basses Rosie and my Hofner Beatle bass, Paulette. I may have to rename them Crystal and Tiffany.

4 Likes

Sadly the only names that seem to fit some of mine are ex wives names, and that ain’t going over very well now, so they are out too.

1 Like

See they seem to work for you though @PamPurrs, and there was no rose on Rosie to start, so that makes sense. Paulette is actually cool too.

2 Likes

Jake and Elwood?

The blue brothers.

:speak_no_evil:

4 Likes

And I love them…why can’t I think of this.
This is good, and a done deal.

3 Likes

Now you just have to decide which is Jake and which is Elwood.

This also creates a problem: You can never sell one without selling the other.

1 Like

Elwood wants toast and Jake a fried chicken. Easy

3 Likes

Dry white toast, and that’s 4 fried chickens (best damn chicken in the state).

2 Likes

Ah, Jake is the Jazz, P is the Elwood.
I like this.

Thanks @HowlinDawg

I am naming the olive green music man Olivia.
Ya, still a bit cliche, but I also do love Olivia DeBernardinis’ art, esp of Betty, even got to meet her once.

Thanks, the creative juices are flowing….

So we have…

‘61 P - Jaimie
MM - Olivia
Aerodyne J - Jake
Aerodyne P - Elwood
Gretsch - Betty

Still to do…
Ray4 (black and maroon) with SIMs pickups
Blacked out Squier 70’s CV jazz
Fender HMT hollow body
Fender Vintera Red and Gold
Kala U bass
Traveller P - thinking Midge or Cindy (the littlest Brady)
Squier Fretless

3 Likes

Lisa (SIMSons)

3 Likes

Short answer, no.

2 Likes