Do you name your basses?

Yes I remember that movie well!

4 Likes

@joergkutter

I am pretty sure I am there with the TRBX504

I considered Excalibur several times in the past, including this time, but felt it was more personalized allocating a person as opposed to an object.

7 Likes

Fair point, @Celticstar :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

4 Likes

There’s something about a sword getting stuck in a big rock that makes me think of my bass playing.

5 Likes

You know, when I was a younger guy, I used to scoff at guys naming their cars. I thought it was silly.

Then I built a rat rod with sweat, grease, and funded by Burger King Whopper Flopper money. I did name my car then, lol.

I had a six-string Japanese Squier that I put grover tuning heads, double hum Seymore Duncans, and painstakingly stripped down the wood and refinished the body with a black cherry stain with a satin clearcoat. I called it “Cherry Bomb” (Not really referencing the song).

I’m looking at my Yamaha TRBX504 right now, I still don’t really have a name for it yet. It kind of has to come to you, y’know?

3 Likes

“Charlene”

5 Likes

So when you are playing your Yamaha 5 string all day, wouldn’t you say that you’ve played with a “Whole Lotta Rosie?”

:sweat_smile:

Interesting discussion by the way. I normally don’t name stuff, unless I have a very personal attachment to it.

For example, I built a firearm off a legal stripped lower receiver, doing the headspacing, parkerizing the finish, polishing components to make them work better, etc.

I came up with the name “Tuco”, from The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu1iDq3PbNk

4 Likes

I named my first (and only) bass (Fender Player P-Bass) Nikki. Huge Prince fan so I pretty much had to. :slight_smile: Hoping her loving will kick my behind and show me no mercy.

7 Likes

I’ve never set out looking to name a bass, but eventually you start calling it something right?? When I bought my second Ibanez I couldn’t call it “the Ibanez” anymore and I found myself referring to the old red one as Rosie. Once that caught on, my Fender J quickly became Josie. My Sterling SUB is just “the sub” and my new Ibanez is just “my Ibanez” but who knows maybe someday I’ll catch myself calling them something else…

3 Likes

I’ve never named an instrument, but strangely when I got my new pink bass instantly made me think of Elizabeth Liones from Seven Deadly Sins.

5 Likes

I’ve always had a habit of naming things: cars, sewing machines, and of course instruments. My primary bass (a Fender P-Bass Special) is named Rosalind, Ros for short; but I realize now that I never named my beginner bass (a First Act short scale).

2 Likes

Reviving this dormant thread…
My current basses are: Paulette, Tina, and Rosie. Paulette is the Hofner Violin (a female variation of Paul McCartney), Tina is the Frank Bello ESP (named after my heroin Tina Weymouth), and Rosie is the Hofner Club (Rosie III). I’ve actually had two other Rosies before her:

3 Likes

Strangly, I only have names for things I don’t own. Naming things is something I do if a name for it immediatly pops into my head, and mostly those are song or movie references.

If I ever would own a gun, I would name it Winona. (Just as Crichton’s gun in Farscape)
If I ever had a dog, I would name it Salt Shaker (as I am German, this would be “Salzstreuer”)
I had a car once that I named Black Sunshine, after the White Zombie song.

Everything I own right now just didn’t spark an idea for a name.

3 Likes

Not officially, no. Although my basses do tend to take on various names based on mood and how well(or not) I’m playing.

3 Likes

Oddly, my P-bass came with a name. LsL, the boutique shop that built it, doesn’t use serial numbers. Each instrument has a name. Mine came with a sticker on the neck plate that read “Crystal.”
Um, no.
I apologize to all the Crystals out there, but my bass does not get a stripper name.

2 Likes

Not consciously. However, they each wind up with at least a nickname.

Like, my Carvins are alternately “big Carvin” or “the big one” (for the neck-through-body, 24 fret LB20), or “little Carvin” or “the little one” (for the bolt-on neck, 22 fret B4). Although I often do also refer to them as “LB” or “B4”.

My Ibanezes (Ibanezez?) are generally “300” and “500” (for the SR300 and SR500EPB, respectively). Although for all the trouble I’ve had with it, I’m probably going to stick 500 with a “troublemaker” or “hooligan” nickname or something. LOL.

1 Like

I was thinking of calling my P Bass ‘Highlander’
The logic is that I’m trying very hard to be the antithesis of some of the more encourageable members of this forum and focus on a single bass.
So you know ‘There can be only one’.

6a01538e92ee33970b022ad3bdac36200b

4 Likes

And on the main stage it’s Crystal…next up, Tiffany…

3 Likes

I look at my olive green music man, and think “Olive”, then think well that is dumb and obvious.
I look at my red and gold bass and think “Ruby”, then think, well that is dumb & obvious too.
I look at my '61 P and think “Jamie”, for James Jamerson, and then think, well, also dumb and obvious.
The two blue Aerodynes - no idea.
Squire 70’s CV - no clue
Fretless - no clue
Ray4 with the SIMs - no clue

I am usually more creative then this but never really named any of my inaminate objects.
I’ve settled on Betty for my Gretsch, I am a big Betty Page fan and that one fits her the most.
But that’s all I got.

2 Likes

Now I feel sheepish naming my rose adorned basses Rosie and my Hofner Beatle bass, Paulette. I may have to rename them Crystal and Tiffany.

4 Likes