Do you name your basses?

Yes I remember that movie well!

4 Likes

@joergkutter

I am pretty sure I am there with the TRBX504

I considered Excalibur several times in the past, including this time, but felt it was more personalized allocating a person as opposed to an object.

7 Likes

Fair point, @Celticstar :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

4 Likes

There’s something about a sword getting stuck in a big rock that makes me think of my bass playing.

4 Likes

You know, when I was a younger guy, I used to scoff at guys naming their cars. I thought it was silly.

Then I built a rat rod with sweat, grease, and funded by Burger King Whopper Flopper money. I did name my car then, lol.

I had a six-string Japanese Squier that I put grover tuning heads, double hum Seymore Duncans, and painstakingly stripped down the wood and refinished the body with a black cherry stain with a satin clearcoat. I called it “Cherry Bomb” (Not really referencing the song).

I’m looking at my Yamaha TRBX504 right now, I still don’t really have a name for it yet. It kind of has to come to you, y’know?

3 Likes

“Charlene”

5 Likes

So when you are playing your Yamaha 5 string all day, wouldn’t you say that you’ve played with a “Whole Lotta Rosie?”

:sweat_smile:

Interesting discussion by the way. I normally don’t name stuff, unless I have a very personal attachment to it.

For example, I built a firearm off a legal stripped lower receiver, doing the headspacing, parkerizing the finish, polishing components to make them work better, etc.

I came up with the name “Tuco”, from The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly:

4 Likes

I named my first (and only) bass (Fender Player P-Bass) Nikki. Huge Prince fan so I pretty much had to. :slight_smile: Hoping her loving will kick my behind and show me no mercy.

6 Likes

I’ve never set out looking to name a bass, but eventually you start calling it something right?? When I bought my second Ibanez I couldn’t call it “the Ibanez” anymore and I found myself referring to the old red one as Rosie. Once that caught on, my Fender J quickly became Josie. My Sterling SUB is just “the sub” and my new Ibanez is just “my Ibanez” but who knows maybe someday I’ll catch myself calling them something else…

3 Likes

I’ve never named an instrument, but strangely when I got my new pink bass instantly made me think of Elizabeth Liones from Seven Deadly Sins.

3 Likes