Do you name your basses?

Love it @Mark_UK.:+1:
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Great @juli0r!
Anyone got a CNC lathe that could mill that out of aluminium? I could then chrome spray paint it. :grin:

3 Likes

Best I can do is 3D print it and color it metallic.

Maybe I should actually repair that thing anyway. My girlfriend already tried to sell it to a friend who became interested in 3D printing!

4 Likes

This is my Bass, a Univox Profesional Bass 197-??? , one of the rare in the Jazz version !!! I call her Blondie !

Originaly it was black and had all kind of issue due to time and beeing neglect in the past. I spent lots of time to fix many issue on it… It sound much better now. When i choose to totally strip all the paint and to sand everything down to wood ( before i paint it or die it to another color), I notice the nice color of the wood that is extremely pale and actually attractive. I choose to reassemble it to practice a bit and to visuallise what she will be dress with in the future.
Anyway It was like 2 weeks i didnt practice at all ! but as soon all the string were back, I “grab” her by the neck and say " Let’s go Blondie ,we gonna dance together now !" it cames out so naturally, like it was her name for a long long time. So it’s official now her name is “Blondie” and she will keep her natural color too LOL !!!

10 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Joceman. Very nice bass. You should post that photo in the "Show is your Bass’ thread.

There’s another thread about naming basses where many have already posted the names of their basses.

I’ll go again:

• My Yamaha BB235 is Rosie because of the rose applique on her pick guard

• My Ibanez Fretless is Corona because I got her during the paranoidemic

• My NS Wave electric upright bass is Stella because she is able to remain standing even after I’ve had several pints of my favorite beer, Stella.

8 Likes

Welcome to the community @Joceman!

4 Likes

Welcome aboard @Joceman,
Love your bass, it looks awesome in natural, I wouldn’t change it either, you have uncovered a true Diamond👍
Enjoy the ride.
Cheers Brian

6 Likes

Yes I do name them as I feel they have all become near and dearfriends over time and you cannot just keep calling them an it. After all look at how much time you send with them.

Merlin - My latest acquisition. A Yamaha TRBX 504 that just arrived today.
Guinevere
Arthur
Galahad
Mordred
Morgana
Lancelot

I was born in the UK and consider myself a Celt. Hence the trend in the names.

8 Likes

No Percival? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@howard

If I hang on to the 304 maybe. :smile:

4 Likes

I’ve sold my Rosie (BB735 with the rose applique on the pickguard), my Corona (Fretless that I purchased at the beginning of the Corona virus), and my Stella (electric upright, so named because after I consume several Stella beers, I might no longer be standing, but she is).
I now have my Paulette (Hofner Beatle bass… female version of Sir Paul), and my Melissa (Ibanez hollow body, so named after the first song I learned on her).
Yes, I name by basses.
(I don’t suppose anyone would like to know the names of my garbage disposal, vacuum, car, kitchen appliances, etc.)

4 Likes

@PamPurrs - We call our garbage disposal “Igor.” :smile:

I have the Ibanez Mikro, and think I will call it “Baby.” I just got a stand for it, and it looks so small in it! The name “Baby” had occurred to me before that, though.

I once had a 1971 Pontiac Firebird, which I thought I’d name “Augustus,” but it didn’t stick and I never thought of it that way. The paint color was called “Castillian Bronze,” aka brown.

4 Likes

Mine is Oscar after the garbage can character on Sesame Street. Every house I’ve owned, and every garbage disposal I’ve replaced has been renamed Oscar for a few decades now.

3 Likes

Makes perfect sense!

4 Likes

The bass I’m playing now I built from a kit, and my basses in the future will be made from boards. They will all be named “The Electric Beard.” Which is unsurprising if you know me, lol

3 Likes

Well that led to a fair amount of time researching other possible names and imaging how it would impact the relationships between the basses.

5 Likes

@DaveT

Not really and these names go back over a 50+ year time frame…
I only have one Bass, the TRBX504, which replaces the TRBX304 which I have only had for a month, did not name, and am planning on selling off.

I shocked myself when I realized that I did not have a guitar named Merlin.
How that happened I do not know.

My main 6-String is called Guinevere which I will use to record a basic rhythm track using chords and then play with different Bass lines to add on top of that.

At least that’s the plan right now.

4 Likes

I meant for ME :sweat_smile: I didn’t know much Camelot lore. Now I’m left wondering if Mordred can be trusted alone with Guinevere.

5 Likes

Once @Celticstar finds his ultimate ax, it needs to be called Excalibur, for sure :grin:

For some good Camelot lore, you should watch the John Boorman movie “Excalibur” from the early 80s - visually great, bloody, gritty and (drug-infused) weird!

8 Likes

My kind of movie! Added to the list.

5 Likes