Does Hadean Have A Website? (Also, What's The Best Bass Ukulele?)

Hi! This is my first post on BassBuzz!

I’m looking to get a bass ukulele, and Hadean seems like something good for me. I’d like to look at their models and compare them as well as read trustworthy specs, but for the life of me, I cannot find Hadean’s website! If you know of it, please let me know in the discussion. I also wouldn’t be opposed to suggestions for the best bass uke! I am a left-handed player who just started electric bass, so some ukes probably won’t work for me.

Thanks!

3 Likes

Hi @Glitch, welcome to the forums! Hadean appears to be a custom brand built/imported by Rondo Music:

3 Likes

@Glitch Welcome to the BassBuzz forum.

When you have time, join us on the Introduce Yourself! thread.

You can also check these companies for Bass Ukelele’s…
Kala Brand Music Co.
Lanikai Ukuleles

2 Likes

Ufff…
“What’s the best (anything)” is an impossible to answer question.
Just try to give an answer to: “What’s the best bass guitar?” for someone. What might be possible to answer “What’s the best/optimal instrument for me?”.

I am not sure yet as I did not hold it in my hands but through reviews and such I decided to ask for a Kala Journeyman this year as Christmas present. From the reviews the sound seems good and it’s an acoustic-electric Bass Ukulele. So you can play amped up or just acoustic.

I can give more info on it and answer specific questions after Christmas.
I am really excited to get that Ukulele in my hands :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You may want to consider looking at Harley Benton if you are just dipping your toes in the water as price wise this might be a good first option.

The ukulele basses seem to have good reviews and I know slot of their stuff is seen as good value for money.

Another bonus is they do have a left handed model

3 Likes

i have a kala california ubass which i would not really recommend. not a bad instrument, but hardly good value for the money IMO. i am on a ubass fan page on FB and a lot of them have hadeans, seems to be pretty universally liked over there.

edit: from my review on the FB page:
So I recently got my Cali ubass on reverb. Wanted to share some honest thoughts, see what you guys think. 1. It goes out of tune constantly. 2. No truss rod? 3. The pickup is a joke. Even if you want the upright sound of a piezo, there is no reason it can’t also have a regular humbucker on it. 4. The bridge is ridiculous. I changed my strings to roundwounds and lost all sound on the highest ones. Heard you were supposed to push on the bridge with your thumb to reset it, is that a bad joke (but yes it worked. Kinda). No string height adjustment. ** this technically isn’t true, but it’s a very limited adjustment** Or length adjustment. 5. These things, brand new, cost the same as a high end, brand new, big name full scale bass does (cough fender cough). And they sell every one they make. All this being said, I do like it. It’s fun to play and does give a big sound. I just don’t think you’re getting what you pay for. And they could easily for the price make it a ton better.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone!
I think I’ll be purchasing a steel string Hadean.

1 Like

I’m a huge Kala fan in general.
I have a few of their U basses - a hollow and a solid body.

I went through a few different string options before I got the sound I was hoping for.

Is the California Ubass the high end ones that are made here?
If you have an issue with those, I’d recommend getting in touch. The builders and makers are all good people, and they’ll make it right.
There might even be a personal friend or former student of mine working on your bass!
(Kala is in Petaluma, where I live.)

If there’s anything I can do to help facilitate a connection and communication between you and them, I’m happy to do it.
I really believe in what they do and make, and their generosity and kindness in the community (donations for schools, giving young musicians good jobs and opportunity, etc.) makes them one of my favorite manufacturers out there.

2 Likes

Yeah it’s the high end one. I bought it used. There’s nothing inherently wrong with it per se, I just think it’s very poor value for the money. I mean, I think that having paid $800 for it. If I had paid the same as a new upper end p bass… :grimacing:

2 Likes

Gotcha. Makes sense.

3 Likes

You had me scared with your post.
Now I can still believe/think that the Kala Journeyman will satisfy me.

Although now I am interested in a direct comparison of the Kala Ukulele and the Harley Benton.

I was very satisfied with the price/value ratio of my build kit but still do have doubts about Harley Benton when it goes to mid and high tier instruments.
For the low tier they are certainly highly competitive. In fact I would feel comfortable recommending Harley Benton for someone who says “I want something that does its job but don’t have a lot of money to spend.”

2 Likes

the accoustic kala’s are much much cheaper

2 Likes

and BTW it’s not like i hate my ubass, i actually really like it and think it’s a real blast to play. and as i said before few things on earth is quite like plugging in and letting someone hear it for the first time and just watching the shock on their faces :rofl:

2 Likes

I only had my Kala Journeyman for a few days.

I love it.

For 300€ I could probably get a better E-Bass but not a better full scale half acoustic. But I already got a better E-Bass and this tiny thing is awesome.

The built in tuner makes it a perfect “I’m gonna pack this for our camping trip” instrument. You literally only need the instrument itself to be able to play.
The acoustic sound is awesome IMO and my girlfriend loves it too because I often practice without being plugged in at all.
A small bonus was that the 3rd to 7th fret stretch (silent night arrangement) was easy on the ukulele while I still can’t really do it on my full scale. Josh promised that a student with normal hands is able to and I’m sitting here wondering what normal hands are and that mine probably are smaller. I got sidetracked…
So of course I do not have a comparison to another UBass but the Kala Journeyman fulfills everything I hoped for and despite me thinking it’s a good product before it even overshot my expectations to a degree.

Another aspect I did not even catch despite me watching reviews beforehand was that Kala is basically Warwick!? At least the explanation for different strings the contact is service@warwick.de and it’s signed as “The Warwick- Distribution Team”.

3 Likes

Did you get the rubber strings or metal strings?

How do you like the amplified sound?

1 Like

metal

Of course I tested it but not thoroughly. I liked it, including the 3-band EQ the thing got. Was easy to get close to the sounds I set on my ESP.

2 Likes

They might just have the distribution rights for the European Union.

2 Likes

Yeah, the international distribution partnerships and so on are weird. Warwick distributes through Korg here, but there is no ownership relation.

Ownership webs are weird too though. Like, Yamaha owns both Line6 and Ampeg.

2 Likes

A few months ago I didn’t even know that u-basses were a thing. Now my curiosity is piqued, and I feel a GAS attack coming on. :smiley:

@juli0r: What caused you to pick the Journeyman over other similarly priced Kalas, such as the Wanderer or Scout? Did you consider any other brands?

I’ve also been looking at the Hadeans that are the subject of this thread. These seem to get mostly favorable reviews, yet they are dirt cheap, starting at $100. Does anyone have experience with both these and the Kalas?

1 Like

Honestly? It wasn’t much of a process for me to pick out a U-Bass. It was more that christmas was coming up and people kept badgering me about wishes for presents and I remembered “hey, I saw this video here some time ago and looked up youtube reviews of that little U-Bass.”

3 Likes