Does Hadean Have A Website? (Also, What's The Best Bass Ukulele?)

I see - thanks for the reply. I’m probably overthinking this. Any one of them would probably meet my needs just fine.

2 Likes

The way I use it up until now the added $$$ to have it an electrical instrument instead of a pure acoustic one is probably money thrown away. I can’t really imagine using it in a band setting except as a joke (just because it seems ridiculous, not because the sound/tone would not hold up) and practicing is fine with just acoustic. Then again a pure acoustic probably doesn’t have a tuner built in.

1 Like

I got a Hadean for Christmas and the customer service is great (Rondo Music.) I got one without strings (they said it had never happened before and that they change the strings to name brand when the get to their shop so it probably got sent out before they put new strings on). They offered to send strings, or take it back and replace it! Although I was exited to try it, I can wait a bit. The fretboard is nice and smooth, no rough edges. I’ll tell you how it sounds when I play it! :grin:

2 Likes

I literally pressed reply and then my sister yelled to me that the replacement strings came. Be back in half an hour to tell you how it sounds! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Cool. I’m looking forward to your impressions. What kind of QC lets a bass go out with no strings? Glad to hear that they responded immediately. What model do you have?

1 Like

UKB-200 steel string left handed. I made a video— will send over tonight.

3 Likes

Excellent! That’s one of the models I’m considering (but not left handed). Looking forward to the video.

1 Like

Sorry I made it but haven’t gotten around to posting it cause it’s on my phone not my iPad where I post stuff…
I promise I will post today!

1 Like

It says that my video type isn’t supported when I go to upload the video. Sorry for keeping you on the edge of your seat!! :wink:

1 Like

Oh well - thanks for the effort. Any first impressions regarding build quality, playability, sound, etc.?

2 Likes

You could try to upload it to a video platform like vimeo.
Those platforms pretty much convert any format into their format and then you could post the link to the video and it will be embedded in your post.

As far as I remember you can only directly upload images in the forum.

P.S: Youtube also works but we try to steer away from youtube for reasons discussed in another thread

1 Like

@juli0r I’m looking at the Kala Journeyman. Do you still have it? and are you happy with it nearly a year later?
The Hadean / Rondo brand seems a lot cheaper than Kala and they’re both made in China. Anyone have experience with both?
Thanks

1 Like

I have the Kala “exotic Mahogany” and dig it a lot, I am sure the Journeyman is on par (just different holes).
I know there are a lot pricier ones out there, but for the occasional play it is awesome as is and sounds amazing plugged into an amp.

Don’t expect much volume at all acoustically though wtih no amp, they really don’t have the volume to create the, well, volume. Regular ukes are much louder, sorta like acoustic bass vs. guitar as well.

1 Like

Thanks @John_E I’ve got some friends who play acoustic guitar and mandolin who keep inviting me to play at their house. I didn’t want to lug over a P Bass and Rumble. But thought I have a small Yamaha THR lunchbox amp. Why not plug a little ubass into that and that should work?
I’ve listened to a few reviews and yeah unplugged it sounds junk but through an amp surprising ok.
I’ve just sold a bunch of guitar gear so I don’t feel too bad about buying another bass !

2 Likes

After the above discussion I ended up buying one of the Hadean ukulele basses, on sale at the time for $99.

When it arrived I was very impressed with the fit and finish, although at this price point my expectations were pretty low. The tuners seem kind of cheap but they get the job done and haven’t broken. It stays in tune well.

Unamplified volume is suitable for solo practice and that’s about it. Even a quietly strummed acoustic guitar will drown it out.

However, plug it into an amp and something magical happens - the sound is unbelievable. It actually sounds a lot like an upright bass (!!!).

I’ve never handled one of the Kala U-basses, so I cannot compare them, but for the money you cannot go wrong with a Hadean.

3 Likes

@Barney - if you do spring for one, invest in this…you might immediately realize you have nowhere to anchor your thumb.
I used the curvy shape and it works great.

2 Likes

Yes and yes.
One thing I should mention though is - I am currently looking for new strings as the ones on it have become rusty and just… ew. I do have the steel string version, not the rubber one and I’m having a bit of a problem finding steel strings which cost less than 60€ but I haven’t looked very hard yet.

I usually bring the ukulele to our Dungeons and Dragons session and apart from that I usually use my normal sized bass guitar.

The thumbrest thing might be a good tip. As @John_E says, without you you somehow have to find a position that’s comfortable to you and especially in the beginning it was weird not having a pickup to rest your thumb.

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
When I was looking into purchasing my first bass last year the Kala U-Bass was a consideration until I saw the cost of replacement strings.

1 Like

FYI you don’t have to buy the more expensive Kala strings. Brands like Aquila sell for less than $20 depending on the type.

1 Like

Actually… is there any reason to actually buy shorter strings? Especially when they’re more expensive?
Can’t I just buy full scale and just cut them up? It seems to me the thickness of the strings is equal or at least comparable that I can find a set of strings that fits onto my ukulele.

1 Like