YouTube Copyright Issues

Without looking for it, I stumbled across a video from bassist Marcelo in which he talks about the apparently very unfair at times YouTube Copyright system.
Perhaps because I watched that video a while back, YouTube then offered me up a second video today from another content creator who had his own work challenged.
I thought others may like to see these videos.
I think it matters to anyone who believes in fair play, and who appreciates the ability of content creators to give us educational and/or interesting content, without bogus copyright claims.

8 Likes

It is a fact for years now that the copyright claim system is absolutely broken. Iā€™ve heard so from creators of different backgrounds.

Itā€™s sad and if there was an alternative platform equally good and free and with monetization I would soft boycott YouTube but what are you gonna do?

Maybe there are suggestions in your videos. I havenā€™t watched them to be honest because the topic has become as bothersome as politics. If there are any constructive suggestions let me know and Iā€™ll watch it.

8 Likes

I think if youā€™re familiar with the issue, the videos wonā€™t tell you anything you donā€™t already know.
I wasnā€™t familiar with the issue until now, and felt others might like to hear about it as well.

5 Likes

Itā€™s happened to him, and it has also happened to Leland Sklar frequently, even when he played the bass lines that he himself created for so many songs. The appeal process is complex and difficult, and filing an appeal runs the risk of your entire channel being banned. This heavy handed use of power by YouTube is sad and depressing.

7 Likes

I agree @PamPurrs. One thing that came across in the videos is the content creators feel really under-powered to fight their case, and like you say the risks are high in fighting back.

4 Likes

I was kind of wondering why ā€œPost Your Coversā€ donā€™t get taken down. Not enough views? Are people posting them as ā€œprivateā€ unless the link is given out?

4 Likes

While this in general is a troublesome topic with lots of broken parts, I think the guy who claimed ā€œI got blocked for playing my own guitar soloā€ sounds like heā€™s claiming something slightly different than what happened. He got blocked for posting someone elseā€™s video of him playing his guitar solo. Although he owns the guitar solo, he does not own the right to their production of him playing it.

4 Likes

Mine are.
There are 3 options:

• Private (only selected accounts can view it)
  • Unlisted (everyone with a link can access)
  • Public (everyone can access and itā€™s available in search)

I upload mine as unlisted and without monetizing so thereā€™s no problem there I guess.
Apart from that you can also have your video public but without monetization.

3 Likes

we have a few different cases :

1. the song is not recognized by Youtube because itā€™s not popular at all. thatā€™s the case for this one , and here there is absolutly no problem.
  2. the song is flagged by Youtube but still visible. in this case, Youtube uses the video to show ads and the benefits go to the peoples who made the claim. itā€™s the case for this one , and itā€™s the most common case (at least for the kind of covers I do).
  3. the song is flagged by Youtube and the video is removed. itā€™s pretty rare in my experience. in fact it happend to me only once, so I uploaded the video directly on my website.

@Lanny was bored to see his videos removed to he decided to upload them only on his own website, where the Youtube robot doesnā€™t make his law.

I myself prefer to upload yo Youtube, see if the video if removed or not ā€¦ if not I keep it there (even in the 2nd case), and if it is removed I upload the video to my website.

On my site, there are all the covers, on Youtube and on the site itself. this way, nothing is lost.

ā€¦ still, this YT robocop is really unfair for the creators. a pain in the ass really.

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

6 Likes

I realize this thread is about YouTube, but as an alternative, Vimeo should be considered. It has more ā€œhumanā€ rules about possible copyright infringements (e.g., if you donā€™t make money off of it; only for educational purposes; ā€¦), which is why I moved over to that platform for posting covers etc.

For what itā€™s worth: just because it is ā€œyourā€ guitar solo or composition, doesnā€™t necessarily mean you canā€™t infringe somebody elseā€™s copyright when using itā€¦ for example, if your contract etc stipulates that your compositions and so on are now owned by your publisher, producer etc., then youā€™d need to read the fine-print to decide what you still are allowed to do legally with what used to be ā€œyourā€ work. I donā€™t know whether thatā€™s the case in these videos - just sayingā€¦

7 Likes

Good idea!

7 Likes

is it free ?

6 Likes

Yes, with a weekly upload limit (which I canā€™t imagine a casual user will exceed) and some extra features missing where you need a subscription.
YT took my King Crimson cover down within two days - it has been up on Vimeo ever since!

6 Likes

yeah it seems to be a nice alternative

4 Likes

I agree, just had a look at how Vimeo operates and it seems a decent approach

4 Likes

Yes. For us it works fine and I will upload mine there from now on.
As far as I can see vimeo has no ad monetization options - only video selling options and you rarely get people on the internet to buy something so Iā€™m afraid most professional creative youtubers will stay.

3 Likes

I recently posted ā€œI want to break freeā€ by Queen onto that thread. When trying the original track: it got taken down. So, the version I used as backing track was a cover from the ā€˜karaoke-version.comā€™ website.

5 Likes

Yup!! Got tired of the YTBS and just post everything to one of my websitesā€¦ Donā€™t care if anyone ever watches or listens to anything I create. Actually, my focus is more into personal preservation of my musical experiences so that my kids, grandkids, and great grandkids can have something to make fun of once Iā€™m pushing daisyā€™s and providing a food source for the worms of the great state of Georgia!:rofl::rofl:

Keep on Thumpinā€™!
Lanny

9 Likes

Yeah @Lanny, when I get serious about doing covers (and finally finish the ones Iā€™ve started), Iā€™m just going to post them on my own site. Iā€™m of the same mind as you, I donā€™t need the whole world to discover my stuff on YouTube. If I want to share it, Iā€™ll just post a link directly to the piece on my site.

8 Likes

I think thatā€™s brilliant @Lanny. I know you make light of it and say they can have a laugh, but a great way to inspire young people to take up and excel at an instrument is to see someone they admire showing whatā€™s possible and how much fun can be had. :raised_hands:

7 Likes