Dream Bass

Care to re tell the story?
I had one of those. Like a dummy I sold it.

2 Likes

I did it, wasn’t impressed with it and regretted it. I’ve found that the more I pay for something, the more I expect out of it. I’ve gotten the most enjoyment out of the things that are either cheap and play well or something I put together myself. Sometimes you have a certain tone in your head and only the dream bass can fill it

5 Likes

I know, that is the drawback… but to what depth won’t fanboys stoop :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

That said, if they offered it still in the blue sparkle or b&w checkerboardschemes of old, I’d be all over them. The blue ones are available used, but the current one is actually a more faithful replica of Steve’s (fanboy, see!).

3 Likes

Talkbass classifieds is a good place to buy a bass. Someone may have had your same dream. It can save you a ton of cash.

6 Likes

It would, if the Canuckistanian peso wasn’t worth the same as the Hershebian Dong :rage:

There’s one thats on there for $1100 USD, plus shipping and insurance from Commiefornia. That puts it at about $1600 CAD, which is the pretax price for it new here. And Justine would add his veg on top of the used bass too. So, it would be pretty much the aame :grimacing:

3 Likes

See here:

4 Likes

“Veg”?!

What, I look like a fuckin’ farmer to you?!

I said vig, you mook!

5 Likes

Oh man, that sucks. Mine was an older one. Didn’t experience any issues with the electronics.

3 Likes

Well my proper dream bass is the original 80’s white MIJ model that he used on Appetite for Destruction. If I ever come across one then I’m probably going to buy it, but it’s pretty rare, especially in good condition, and especially around these parts.

Fender have recently reissued them (Boxer or something) in some fugly red and green colors, but not in white…

3 Likes

vig it is. Dunno what came over me, Padron.

4 Likes

:laughing:

3 Likes

On the other hand when it comes to Trudeau, veg would be more appropriate :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I wouldn’t pick up a “dream bass” without playing it first. So like everyone here, I have too many basses. None are expensive, all are respectable… all in about 2.5k… and then on a complete whim I picked up a dinged up Squier p-bass for $100 with old flats and fell in love. Turns out despite two J’s (full and medium scale) a short scale EBMM, a full scale active Schecter and a fun little Mikro PJ… I’m a P-bass guy?! Who knew? Play it. You’ll know on the first song.
9dd669bafc4139e25133750d244a413f2264a9d8_2_375x500 (2)
I even like playing it with the ashtray in place - my brain sucks, let your fingers decide whats dreamy.

7 Likes

I have several of my dream basses, and once I get them I start thinking about my next one.
The EBMM HH was a dream bass, and it is fine, but I wouldn’t do cartwheels down the street about it.

The '72 Rick was a dream bass, and it is dreamy.

The German made Hofner was a dream bass, and it is dreamy.

The Fender CS '61 P (like Jamerson had) was a dream bass, and it is dreamy.

My next dreamy dream bass I think is a '75 Fender Jazz, but I don’t want it for a while yet. I have mad envy of @Macs bass grunge on it and all.

Also dreaming of an upright, but no room, will need to wait.

And next year I am sure there will be a different dream one.

Does one rise above all others in the dreaminess camp? The Rick for sure.

7 Likes

Please tell us which one would qualify for this display of physical prowess, and we’ll try to all chip in and get it for you :grin:

We might choose this street for your shenanigans though:

5 Likes

Been there. It’s the amazing Lombard Street in San Francisco. Non-resident traffic has been curtailed there as it was disrupting the daily lives of neighborhood residents.

2 Likes

Lombard street in SF?

2 Likes

SF residents never want to go there so if someone is there, yeah, it’s a tourist :slight_smile:

1 Like

I really have 3 dream basses.

FGN Mighty Power Double P. This bass just checks all the boxes. It’s Fender quality, and the twin precision pickups just bring it. I am turning into a Presision man, everything seems to be a P, P-J, or P-P.

My second dream bass is my MDB5. It has a unique vibe to the shape, and a neck profile found on no other instrument. Really I have a tough time practicing with it as I tend to wander off into improvisations with it.

My last dream bass is my Squier CV 60s. I will swap the pickup for an SPB1 to get a more vintage tone out of it, but it’s a $260 bass, perfect in its simplicity.

Honorable mention is my Stream. I still love so much about it; I turning it into a double reverse P. If it sounds as good as I think it will be back on the list.

1 Like

At 14 basses in my collection right now (including the unfinished Moolah Bass), I still have a few dream basses, just to add to the collection. I felt that way about the Steinberger. It was a dream bass when I saw Tony Lewis play it in The Outfield’s “My Paradise” video but it’s just ok for me. I still play it but not as often. The basses I really want to add are a Rick and a Stingray, just to say I have them.