EHX Bass Clone Pedal Issues

I really wondered about this too, and it was also a real bummer as I’d spent a long time reading reviews and reducing the list down to two comps (M87 and BC-1X) before driving a long way to pick up the M87. So when it didn’t work, I did a lot more investigation before returning it.
What I found is that I’m not alone with the issue of input levels, but it seems to be unit dependant. Some work, some don’t. I also found lots of reports of units failing due to over-voltaged parts internally (a basic design issue which should be caught by a design team having a peer review of the design before it’s released) and other component latch-up issues. At that point going for the BC-1X was a no brainer as far as I was concerned.

2 Likes

Yes, as I said in one of the earlier posts, there are all sorts of known issues with the M87, which is a real bummer, because the reviewer Onvilabs said they actually liked the sound of the M87 a little tiny bit better then the Keeley Bassist, and since I love the Keeley Bassist so much, I natural would want to try one, but because of the issues of the M87, and the fact it is hard to dial in a sweet spot, that it is a no brainer to go with the Keeley bassist, which is not really giving anything up, just a tiny bit better, and by tiny bit, it would mean I most likely would not be able to hear the difference.
Fortunately for me, I have both the Bassist and the BC-1x

2 Likes

The fact that it’s a one knob pedal makes you think it isn’t tweakable. This is both true and the farthest thing from the truth. You can’t really tweak it on the fly, while playing. In this case all you can control is the compression level. The idea is to dial in your sound beforehand, and in this case, it is one of the most tweakable compressors around. You can adjust crossover, gain, response, and the compression controls are crazy:

And this is just page one! You do get wide range of compression sounds with toneprints and you can (if you want) do a lot of tweaks. But what I liked about it is I found a few sounds I liked, chose my fave, and never touched it again. Simplicity.

2 Likes

Yeah, I was saying they probably have some things they can control on the toneprint editor, (may not have said editor), but I was just thinking it was like a dyna comp. True you can tweak the sounds, but you can’t chang it to an optical or a VCA type of compressor.
I did not know you had that much control, so I over simplified it, but as far as I know, it still isn’t the type of compressor I like. Unless I am wrong abou that as well.
and that does give it more value for sure, IMO, but I am not gonna give up my comps for it just yet.

I will say, If I had that type of screen control for the compressors I have, it would be pretty cool.
With the spectra comp, and one dial, it could be very frustrating to go back and forth if you are having trouble finding your sound, but if you can find it rather quickly, it would be cool.

Well I kind of doubt it is your type, as you demand a lot of things from one that honestly most of us don’t. I mean compression is kinda your jam! And I am far from an expert on them. I just know I plugged it in, it made me sound better, I never have to think about it or adjust it if I’m playing different styles, etc. It just works for me. For all I know it could be the worst compression ever made 🤷 :rofl:

2 Likes

It is most certainly not, although I am not sure it gets sales like the Dyna Comp and other brands, but it has that capability to do a bit, and more then I thought.

1 Like

I never could figure out how to get the toneprint editor, but last time I was looking I think I was on Ipad, now that I have Imac, I guess there is a whole new world about.

2 Likes

Yeah just download the app and go to templates. These are the toneprints that can be tweaked. Click on the pencil icon and go nuts!

2 Likes

I do not demand a lot of things, I just demand certain types. I don’t know much about it, when you consider what there is to know about it, on a @DaveT level, but I know what they are capable of and what I want them to do, and when I am satisfied with the sound I get.
Like the Keeley Bassist, much like you, I plug it in, it makes my sound excellent instantly, and its a winner pedal.
I can’t say the spectra comp did anything bad to my sound, but when I wanted to hear limits and boost in certain places, I was not getting the performance I wanted, and with the single control option (Ipad only when I had it) I couldn’t see a way to make it get what I wanted without going thru every single tone print, one after another , that many sound the same, it was more then I was willing to do to get the pedal to work, considering out of the box, there are ones that dial in fast for me.
Thats all, I am not a snob damn it.:rofl:

3 Likes

Yeah I didn’t phrase that right. I just mean you could love compression more than anyone I’ve seen that doesn’t work in a studio :rofl::rofl:

5 Likes

Oh, don’t worry, its not like I took offense.

1 Like

It does fascinate me, and it kind of mesmerize me when I hear it, you got that right

4 Likes

And here I just removed compression from my pedal chain. I should be taken out back and tarred and feathered.

2 Likes

No, you are fine. sometime you may add it back, or not.
you might find it really nice on the Ray 5,
As long as you have not sold it already,
keep it handy to try it out.

1 Like

We’ve all got our things. Mine’s preamps.

3 Likes

mine’s everything

2 Likes

I had to think hard before putting “music software” there instead.

2 Likes

Yeah, Mine is everything starting with Stingray’s on top, then compression pedals, then …

1 Like

Hi Mark,

Just read through this thread and although this is months after, I have had EXACTLY the same issue; identical. Sadly mine was my main Christmas gift which put a small downer on my day. Just knowing this issue is something I won’t be able to mend has put me at piece of mind about getting a refund/replacement however instead of attempting to troubleshoot (albeit I damaged one of the screws in an attempt to replace the battery).

1 Like