Explain this like I am five - Recording Bass on Computers

If you want effects plugins for guitar and bass, Amplitube 5 would be my current recommendation. Huge number of bass and guitar amps and effects pedals. Really amazing plugin. Max goes on sale for $99 pretty frequently.

My favorite bass amp sim is still Kuassa Cerberus though, and I do most of my effects via Kilohearts and MeldaProduction plugins. Despite owning Amplitube.

For a DAW today, I would go with Reaper or Logic, if on a Mac; Reaper or Ableton if on Windows; Reaper if on Linux. However I am also pretty curious about Bitwig, looks like a nicer and more powerful Ableton Live but with fewer frills and included content, for substantially less money.

3 Likes

MacOS

1 Like

Then you already have GarageBand, itā€™s stupidly powerful and simple to use you just need an interface. Scarlett would be my first choice, pretty much plug and play. Itā€™s a simplified version of the ever popular Logic X. I own all 4 of Appleā€™s app, Final Cut Pro/ Logic, iMovie/ GarageBand and use all of them. As the matter of fact, 2 of the covers I posted yesterday were finished on iMovie on my iPad Pro

Lemonade
Change the world

Itā€™s still so powerful and very easy to use.

2 Likes

@Rob150 for your reading pleasure:

2 Likes

Howard, this is not true. Bitwig just baked some functions straight to the DAW. Everything that Bitwig can do, Ableton can also with Racks and ā€¦ Max For Live let you do exactly what Bitwig does with way more control over signal flow and processing. The only thing Bitwig is way better than Ableton is out of the box touch screen support.

Just my two cents.

3 Likes

Ahh, thanks for the input. I havenā€™t looked deeply yet. As usual, the fans are extremely vocal about how awesome it is.

Just whatever you do, use an actual DAW and not Audacity, if you are interested in more than just recording.

1 Like

@Rob150 I use GarageBand for my covers. Iā€™m pretty stupid and I can use it.

Feel free to send me a message anytime about using that software. Itā€™s powerful enough to record a cover and post it to YouTube.

3 Likes

Yes if youā€™re on a Mac I would use GarageBand way before Ardour, and then upgrade to Logic if you push it past its limits.

2 Likes

Well, itā€™s definitely not bad. However, after a bit of time fiddling around both with Bitwig and Max I think I have an idea or two whatā€™s going on there and whatā€™s not. You can do simple things easily by just dragging and dropping a connection in Bitwig. Tons of signal modulators and utilities are available in the box. Itā€™s more like modular. In Ableton you have to route things through tiny menus, add some utilities etc. etc.) But as soon as you will start to go for complex things (Letā€™s say handling both lights and music at the same time.) you will have to start to do some routing shenanigans in Bitwig and still be short on some conditional options no matter what etc. In Max, you just peel off the DAW interface and have ā€œkernelā€ access to everything Ableton is doing all the time. So I guess like with everything, itā€™s just about what you want to do with it. Have a good one.

2 Likes

Interesting, thanks! One of the things I was reading was something that made it sound like they had kind of built a synth in to the DAW itself (i.e. not as a plugin but like the DAW had modulators you could apply to individual voices, etc).

You can do that in other ways of course via routing and other methods but the Bitwig folks seem to love it and bring it up as a central thing. I havenā€™t looked in to it though, and that is getting pretty advanced.

1 Like

How I Play: Stimming (2022 Edition) - YouTube

I took Bitwig through its paces because this guy uses it. Itā€™s not bad, if I didnā€™t know Ableton I would be deciding between this and Studio One. But as I do have Ableton a couple thousand bucks in keys, controllers, etc., thereā€™s probably nothing that can make me change until something really groundbreaking emerges. I actually hope for some VR environment in the future, because the limited amount of VR instruments I had the chance to try were so much fun. The question is how much of it is a novelty, but it was something, I guess.

2 Likes

Appreciated Mike!

2 Likes

Thank you Barney, appreciated!

1 Like

@Barney you are simply awesome.

GarageBand is plenty enough for 95% of home recording unless you are a professional studio and your clients require more. Thereā€™s not much more you need and an average person would not be able to utilize even half of the features.

Maybe itā€™s the sign of the time but I was an early adopter of the audio interface and no itā€™s not protools, itā€™s Digidesign Session 8 it has a whopping 40mb of internal hard drive and for a little pocket change of around $2k you can get and additional 64Mb of memory so you donā€™t have to scramble or worry about moving your data every time you are recording. Oh the unit cost $5000 back in 93. I donā€™t remember worrying about amp modeling or layers of multi effects and we produced a kick a$$ albums.

We are so spoiled lol. The same features and capability from a free GarageBand on an iPad would have been about $50k lol.

2 Likes

Yeah, Iā€™m not that familiar with most of the DAWs mentioned in those articles, except for Cakewalk, which Iā€™m using myself. Might look into Pro Tools Intro, as Cakewalk will be discontinued, unfortunately. On the other hand, the current version will probably continue to work, so I guess thereā€™s no rush.

2 Likes

To record myself, I bought this $50 audio interface: M-Audio M-Track Solo

Itā€™s a relatively cheap option so maybe itā€™s not the highest quality audio interface, but to my beginner ear, it sounds just fine. I can record through something like audacity or any DAW.

When I plug this into my PC, I can also listen to lessons/backing tracks and also my bass through headphones at the same time, which is handy.

2 Likes

Hey Joerg - Sorry itā€™s taken so long to reply. Yea, the website is totally downā€¦ Actually, my entire site was compromised and severely hacked a couple months ago. Not only was it hacked, the hackers had copies of all of my sites info from the databases including my e-mail accounts with passwords and sent me parts and pieces in order to prove that they had all of my information - then - offered to sell it all back to me for a substantial amountā€¦ Needless to say, I did not comply, and I completely wiped everything out with no intention of ever building back againā€¦ Oh well,ā€¦ Such is lifeā€¦ Because I had removed all of my (then) email accounts, I was never notified of your reference to this post. Just so happened that I decided to stop in here while I had a break from deer hunting and saw your tagā€¦ Got a new email set up and now referenced to my account hereā€¦

2 Likes

Oh, wow, what a drag, Lanny - that is a kind of nightmare scenario really. Very close to identity theft, which potentially is worseā€¦

No worries about the delay; I realize you go for weeks sitting in the woods looking out for deerā€¦ just kidding, I know you only check in every now and then. Just wanted to help out a new memberā€¦

So, does that mean Pam and Johnā€™s tutorials are all gone (@PamPurrs @John_E )? I have lost track of where all of this might be now :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

No worries, I have never posted anything on Lannyā€™s site, I have my own server. Anyway., the @John_E and @PamPurrs show are alive and well on YouTube.

2 Likes