Fav Comics + Graphic Novels?

Oh, I DO wanna track down.
I eat this stuff up. Thanks for the recommendation!

2 Likes

My pleasure! Looks like Amazon has them cheap for Kindle and relatively expensive in print. You can probably find better deals.

https://www.amazon.com/Please-Save-My-Earth-Vol-ebook/dp/B00F3HG8A6/ref=sr_1_4

3 Likes

I was a Marvel kid growing up, then got away from comics in my teens, and was pulled back in as I approached 30 (including more DC this time, mostly Batman).

Marvel recommendations…
Black Panther: The Client by Christopher Priest

The Vision: Complete Collection by Tom King

The Sentry by Paul Jenkins

DC recommendations…
Azrael by Denny O’Neill

Martian Manhunter by John Ostrander

And if you can find it, CrossGen’s Way of the Rat series by Chick Dixon is good.

2 Likes

The Michael Moorcock’s Elric series by Titan comics is quite good. Follows the original novels fairly well, but took some creative liberties with the story… in some cases for the better, imo.

3 Likes

Given how that book (well, the first book in the saga anyway) starts, I am betting for the better, yeah :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nice. Just got #1

1 Like

Awesome! Cool story, unfolds slowly, which is great for character development in both timelines.

Been years (10+ or more) since I read any of it (or watched the anime), I should dig mine up.

1 Like

(cracks knuckles) Let’s do this.

First, a few important points:

• Everyone comes into things at their own time. I’m thrilled and elated to have discovered bass at…a later age :smirk: ; no shame or disgrace allowed.
  • GN is an established abbreviation; your acronym skills are just on point.
  • Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud was required reading in one of my college art classes. It’s a great resource for people who want a deeper understanding of the form.
  • Ooooh, those editions of Dune are gorgeous!
  • Dang, that pick guard is just going to haunt me forever. IT NEVER LOOKS EXACTLY THE SAME

So, as some of you know, I recently opened a small indie bookshop. It’s a niche store, meaning it doesn’t have all the different sections you’d see in a generalist shop. Our focus is on works of fiction by underrepresented authors, neurodiversity, and kids books.

The neurodiversity angle is particularly important to me as an ADHDer. There are so many people looking for information on the collection of conditions that make up the neurodiverse universe. Just yesterday, I had a discussion with a fellow ADHDer who told me that he loved reading, but just couldn’t get through the standard book format, so he listens to a lot of audiobooks and was discovering GN versions of standard novels. The shop just received the GN of Watership Down yesterday, and he snapped it up. Forgive the self-serving link, but I didn’t get a chance to take a pic: Watership Down

Side note: Audiobooks absolutely count as reading! It’s a godsend to people with dyslexia, who can listen to the book and read along with a printed copy (this is a legit accommodation in schools) . The availability of printed books is conceptually new; listening to stories read out loud was how people used to “read.”

Check out:
1984 by George Orwell & Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler

Like classics?

Othello…as Manga!

Here’s two fine examples of GNs that became TV series:

There’s plenty of non-fiction GNs to be had…

…memoirs, art, and music, too.

There are also GNs that talk about neurodiversity! There’s a Manga on ADHD that I normally carry, but it sold out.

Hope this has given you some different directions to try. :books: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :books:

2 Likes

Oooh I want the Queen one!
Great selection!

Side note, here’s Poppy’s GN.

Can’t say that it’s very good, but it’s certainly “different”. She’s Poppy.

1 Like

Haha - true!
If you want to order the Queen one from my website I will ship it to you :package:

Oh wow, Octavia Butler. Interesting.

2 Likes

There is an adaptation of Kindred as well that I usually have.

1 Like

I really need to explore Butler and Le Guin more.

1 Like

Do you have See Which branded bookmarks?

2 Likes

Nothing fancy, but yes. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Excellent. Then I’m ordering the book right now!

2 Likes

I was heavily into comics, when I was younger. I devoured everything marvel. I always despised dc, though Batman is an exception, since his villain gallery is the best ever written, mainly since most of his opponents have no powers but are insane, in one way or the other, except for Penguin.

Later I found Spawn, which blew me away. Spawn has my favorite sidekick duo of all time. Next fixture became Darkness and Witchblade.

I also enjoy the various works of Garth Ennis. The Boys is already mandatory reading. It’s amazing. I love his take on superpowers, morals and responsibility (or lack there of).

Crossed is his weirdest work ever, and not for the faint of heart. I remember putting down issue 1 and felt like i was not the same person. Very disturbing stuff.

2 Likes

The Boys always felt to me kind of like Watchmen 2.0.

(that’s a huge compliment BTW :slight_smile:)

1 Like

Yeah I can totally see why you’d feel that way. It really accentuate the issues between being a human being and having that much power. It’s very interesting and makes the comics a lot more relatable.

1 Like

Promethea written by Alan Moore, j h Williams III. Beautiful and mystical, highly recommended