Favorite Bowie song?

I’ve been on a steady diet of three Bowie records or so a day lately. It’s out of control! What an amazing career, making good music from the 60’s into the 2010’s (what do you call this decade, lol?).

Lately I can’t get enough of Blackstar. Tim Lefevbre’s bass playing on the whole record is freaking amazing, this tune has some tasty effects towards the end (Boss OC-2 sub octave, I think with some Way Huge Pork Loin):

I don’t know if I could actually pick an all time favorite Bowie bass line, but I also fell in a new level of love with the China Girl bass line this year:

For some reason I can just imagine Jack Black singing part of that line as a really good “root-en-doot-en-doot” kind of thing. The part that goes

So good. :slight_smile:

Who else has Bowie favorites?

5 Likes

Wow, I’ve also been enjoying Bowie of late, . . . I’m a couple chapters from completing a biography on him, “A Life” by Dylan Jones. Different style of writing via continuous, interview snippets, but I’ve really come to appreciate his evolution of life’s work from it. I also recently rewatched Live Aid 85’ which includes Bowie performing.

As far as favorite bass lines, I’m going to step away (if permitted) from the true volume of Bowie work, as I’ve also recently watched the Bohemian Rhapsody movie on Freddie Mercury, and read a recent article on John Deacon in Bass Player magazine, . . . tieing Bowie, Queen, and the John Deacon era together, I’m going to make tribute to DB, FM, and JD with a link to “Under Pressure”:

Hope all enjoy, . . . Happy Thanksgiving to all

3 Likes

Hereos… when I hear that opening line, I get shivers. so many memories come flooding back from being a kid in the late 70’s and hearing that song on the radio late at night.

4 Likes

I love him!!
I restarted playing bass learning some of his songs, especially from Ziggy Stardust.
I would suggest them to any bass beginer - lines are pretty simple - then the quality of the execution is something other…
Everything he did is just special!!
Miss his art a lot…

2 Likes

I‘m just learning about his old stuff. I Love it.
3 Likes

Ooh haven’t heard that! That bass line makes me think of Good Vibrations for some reason… the tone, plus sounds kinda like that vocal melody or something.

2 Likes

My favorite Bowie song is Moonage Daydream. Love this. We play it in our band.

6 Likes

@JoshFossgreen “China Girl” is also right up there for me, too. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the tab! . . . I’ll practice that one today.

I also like “Golden Years”, “Heroes”, and “Everyone Says Hi”, plus countless others . . .

2 Likes

Yeah, with you on all those and the “countless others,” it’s really amazing that one guy made so many great songs over like five decades. RIP Bowie!

2 Likes

Yeah David Bowie when you mentioning there is a remembrance. He is a bit x cultured. The song might not be Life on mars? But the most remarkable song is blue jeans. When I search on youtube yes there is my all time favorite that recalled.

1 Like

I am new here guys, Hello!

1 Like

Sorry I’m sharing 2 videos this gave me a shock a few years ago and change my eyesight to the world

2 Likes

Thanks for the share @meyouem, I haven’t watched a Bowie live video from that era! Nice hair. :slight_smile:

I believe the bass in David Bowie song Let’s Dance is Fantastic,

1 Like

Wish I knew what ‘way huge pork loin’ is but I hope you cover it in the intermediate course. My fave too is probably Moonage Daydream. O and this has a lovely bass-

1 Like

My favorite Bowie song is actually a cover of a Bowie song.

Apparently Bowie thought it was amazing too and this is what got Bauhaus their cameo in The Hunger.

3 Likes

Haha! It’s this: https://www.jimdunlop.com/product/whe201-7-10137-01592-0.do

Cool share @howard!

1 Like

Almost anything from Bowie up until maybe Ashes to Ashes, then at the time I was into other stuff and lost track of hike a bit. Having significantly older siblings meant that I was into 70s more than my own decade - to begin with.

However,
a) Heroes is such an upbeat song I feel it should go on longer
b) Life on Mars is almost operatic in its scope
and for very personal reasons I’ve become obsessed with
c) Ziggy Stardust. The drummer from our band at school challenged me to aim for that when I started learning again last year. It’s so melodic and the more you listen the more you realise it’s carrying the tune. All sorts of awesome sauce (to quote Jack Black).

3 Likes

I plan to learn the song “Ziggy Stardust”. I love it; its very dramatic. The lead guitar and bass compliment each other creating an eerie mood. Once I learn the bass parts, I think playing it a bit slower would even be darker, which I like.

Great post @JoshFossgreen !

1 Like

All great selections @PeteP . Cool story on the ‘Ziggy Stardust’ song!

3 Likes