Favourite genre of music?

There’s been a nice diversity of youtube videos posted on this forum, that’s one of the great things about bass, so versatile. Do you have a particular style/genre of music you prefer?

My tastes are mainly confused :crazy_face: yesterday I had on some Ludovico Einaudi then put on some Beck, followed by some random house music (for a gym workout) but overall I lean towards rock and indie music…

Royal Blood are currently doing it for me. Who needs a guitarist?!

8 Likes

Haha, same here. Just had a friend visiting for a week and really noticed how all over the place my musical tastes are with an audience around. Went from David Bowie to Judee Sill to Hiatus Kaiyote to Bela Fleck to Lonnie Smith to D’Angelo to Michael Jackson. And who knows what else!

I do have a major soft spot for funk/groove-based music, and wish I was gigging more in that arena right now!

3 Likes

YES! Royal Blood opened for Foo Fighters in Philly and somehow - through hook and crook - we managed to catch the show on a day off of tour.
They were rad.
I have a thing for bass/drum duos…

Genre-wise - anything, as long as there is a core of guts, and a willingness to go up to 11. In whatever way.

4 Likes

Ha, just mentioned the Foos in another thread. I suspect I’d get on well with your music collection your tastes seem uncannily similar to mine.

What other bass/drum duos are worth checking out?

2 Likes

Not sure if Gio would self-promote as much as he SHOULD here, so I’ll do it for him - his bass/drum duo Toast Machine was SO awesome, I used to go hear them play when I was a teenager and it really inspired my bass playing. Dig it!

6 Likes

Gave Toast Machine a quick blast and I likey :sunglasses: (Am I hearing some Smashing Pumpkins inspiration on the opening tracks?) That’s today’s gym music sorted. It’s on Spotify too if anyone’s interested…

4 Likes

I am more confused than ever about genre preference now that taking B2B has got me understanding a little bit about music and noticing bass lines. Falling in love with music of many genres.

If someone else is DJ, I am very open to any genre, and over the years always loved rock n roll and then new wave, but the past 10 years, I kind of get bored with music that lacks soul or a clear African influence (so love R&B, jazz, Afrobeat, reggae).
In recent years I played Orchestra Baobab, Salif Keita, Budos Band in the car over and over. In the late 70s 80s, Talking Heads was my favorite band, and I continued to love them even more with all the African-derived rhythms. Loved those David Byrne compilations (Brazilian etc). I was obsessed with D’Angelo for a while and was very confused as to why he wasn’t THE biggest thing and didn’t win all awards and play everywhere all the time. Is he underappreciated?

2 Likes

Welcome to the confused club :crazy_face: There’s so much great music out there it’s hard not to have eclectic tastes. Just checked out those bands you mentioned, liking Budos Band :+1:

Update, listening to this…

Cool, cool. cool.

4 Likes

Ha! You know me too well Josh! Thanks for firing the first shot. I love Toast Machine, even though we don’t play anymore. Here is my favorite example of the Toast Machine experience:

And - Budos Band RULES.

11 Likes

The drummer is awesome. I just listened for a few. I’ll go back to hear the whole thing tonight.

2 Likes

Terrific stuff. Love the energy live

3 Likes

Thanks Chris!
90% Energy, 10% accuracy was our working equation.

6 Likes

Makes me wish I could do the math! That was awesome.

2 Likes

Gio, Man that is crazy good! I now feel all bad about myself! And your full name reminds me of the neighborhood I grew up in! Just keeps getting better!

3 Likes

volcano song is my fave!

1 Like

Yikes! I know the feeling oh so well. The way of true rockage is one of inclusion, where one one doth rock, we all doth rock. Hope the bad feelings meld into super stoked inspiration… I know they do for me. That’s why live shows - no matter how much the bassist makes me feel like I’m in school - are the best!!

5 Likes

Gio, very few bassists play as well as you. I been around for 70 years so I’ve seen a few. But to be such a nice guy too is special. Thank you for that. I rock in the old school way, one note at a time. Which is very exciting for me! Thanks to Josh, I am really improving and loving every minute of it!

4 Likes

Thanks again for the kind words! One note at a time is what the world needs! I’m stoked that you’re loving every minute of the bass journey. A good teacher is worth his or her weight in gold.

2 Likes

Gio, if you ever perform in Southern Cal, please let me know and I’ll be there!

1 Like

I don’t know what genre of music this is. But this is the kind of bass and drums I want to play. These cats are going to be in Vegas in November. I’ll be going. I like the groove.

2 Likes