Favourite genre of music?

Yeeeah! This band is picking up real good steam and traction. I love these grooves. Madeski Martin and Wood do a great job of the understated/perfect/grooviest bass line for the job also. Good call here.

3 Likes

I also like that their name means: Airplane, in Thai. That fits with me just fine. :grinning:

I can second that. I’ve been playing a long time, but thanks (mainly) to Josh I’ve picked up a whole lot of stuff I never would have tried. Not just genre but style too. Still can’t slap worth a damn.

3 Likes

Ha! Never slap worth a damn! You’ll get hired more. It’s like a parlor trick - it’s great in the right environment, but rarely comes in handy in any practical situation.

1 Like

my fav genre is probably techno/dubstep or heavy metal I also like 70s,80s,and 90s music

3 Likes

That’s a Bass truism right there! I’ve listened to Larry Graham and everyone else since and it’s one of the few styles that doesn’t really work out of context. I used to think it was just my poor application of the style but having heard Paperback Writer played in a slap style (slapped that song out of the musical ballpark there!) I wholeheartedly agree…

1 Like

I’m stuck in a hotel, and I found the Budos Band on Spotify. I believe you mentioned them. I like them. Cool Basslines!

2 Likes

I have a binder full of old Bass Player transcription sections - like a sight reading bible. I was working through it today and ran across this. Oh. My. Lord. So good - the entire album is so good!! Sorry I missed out on this for so long.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRGGkcKpxgk

the album is here:

1 Like

Nice Jamerson-y licks in that bass line!

1 Like

They say music crosses all barriers, not in the UK they don’t. This album not available in your country.

Lol yeah, it crosses all barriers except legal ones. And why should it - you make more money off your music if people can’t hear it, right?

TOTALLY. It’s even got the Funk Brothers percussion player on the track to give it some real Motown cred!

1 Like

If I were forced to choose, I would say that I listen to more classic rock then any other type. With that said, I’m also very open to different music styles. If someone recommends that I try to listen to something; I always do. I dig funky Bass lines of disco, love the blues style and love the music from the 60’s and 70’s.
-Rocky-

2 Likes

Just downloaded it to my Spotify. I love it. Drums and Bass are really all there needs to be. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I just put Rock Wattage on Spotify. Budos band, too. Awesome!

3 Likes

Yes! Thanks, dude. I haven’t gone back and listened to that in a while… We recorded Rock Wattage in my grandparents barn, all home-made engineering and editing there. Fun times!!

3 Likes

It’s a great album, you should be justifiably proud. Who is the drummer? They rocked it! So did you. I can’t even imagine trying to lead on the Bass. Supercool.

2 Likes

The drummer is Paige Warner - she’s better known for her Academy Award winning special effects innovations in the field of facial-capture-animation technology. Yeah. She’s a badass in so many different ways.
Tips for leading on the bass:
Turn everything up louder, then add a distortion pedal.

5 Likes

I just got a new EH Bass BigMuff. I already have an Overdrive and a EH Bass Blogger Fuzz. Tried It all out in a chain with my EH B9 and Korg MFX and a crybaby wah. Somehow ended up sounding like King Crimson all on my own. I’m happier than a pig in shit.

3 Likes

What is this one? Tried looking it up but couldn’t find anything.

You ran all three of those dirt pedals in series? Sounds fun. :slight_smile:

2 Likes