Favourite genre of music?

Should have been more specific! MFX = Multi FX! Its a Korg AX1. Small footprint, two pedals for up/down and a rocker pedal for wah/vol. I use it for Octave down, delays and compression mostly, but it does crazy too thanks to flange, chorus, a ringmod etc. etc. The great thing is the EH stuff comes with a dry out too so a parallel signal can run wherever, very handy indeed. Great for stereo set up. It really does sound like King Crimsom, I think more because of the B9.

3 Likes

I guess I’m kinda stuck in 70’s and 80’s rock, myself :slight_smile: . . . “Classic Rock”?

Stones, Doobie Brothers, the Who, Mountain, Joe Walsh, Talking Heads, Clapton, etc.

2 Likes

Same here but I go back a little farther with Lynyrd Skynyrd, Creedence and The Band.

2 Likes

I do have a style, it’s yer basic rock/metal/blues bass and I really like Mastodon at the moment.
But! I’ve been discovering some fantastic stuff out of the Middle East and Africa and some stuff that just destroys any border both Nationalistic and Musical. If you can, check out Yemen Blues or Quarter to Africa. Some incredible timings and fusions of everything from Hip Hop to Jazz all mixed with middle eastern polyrhythms and instruments.

3 Likes

Hey @muff, haven’t seen you around in a while! Can you post a link to those artists you recommended?

2 Likes

@muff - I second that request!

1 Like

Yemen Blues, it’s not so much about the Bass. More about the beauty of Humanity.

De grands yeux amoureux, écarquillés
Ton visage contre le mien
Je peux voir ton sourire s’offrir à moi
Les mots soulevèrent très haut Certains se sentent faiblir
Tu sais que j’vais sombrer
Certains ne changent pas Certains se sentent faiblir
Certains ne changent pas
Le temps répare les rêves, les efface…
Et tu t’éloignes de moi
Tu ne ressens pas la peur juste un regard gentil en moi
Je ressens la réponse à ce que je suis
Certains se sentent faiblir
Certains ne changent pas
1 Like

Pretty much everything, although I have a heavy preference for metal. Big fan of Mastodon.

On a side note, since we’re sharing some bass stuff, one of the guys that has inspired me is Jacques Bono. I love this solo of his… Also just saw Josh has a Bach video up, going to have to check that out.

2 Likes

Definitely post-punk for me, has been my favorite genre for 35 years or more.

Post-industrial/electro-industrial is up there too.

Recently listening to a lot of post-rock and post-metal.

It’s all post-something for me :slight_smile:

1 Like

I also love that this thread got resurfaced because @Gio links his Toast Machine show up-thread :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Im Really into 90s Grunge and Alternative Rock. Ben Shepherd of Soundgarden has some PHENOMENAL riffs

3 Likes

Agreed! Great player there. And Hiro Yamamoto - the bassist before Ben in Soundgarden was equally rad. My favorite band of the Grunge era by a lot!!

1 Like

Totally!

Funk!

Geez ,where to start?
I really like my rock,some punk ,but really anything that takes my fancy to be honest.
Mood plays a big part in what I listen to . On my Spotify atm are bands that range from Portishead to Status Quo to Whitesnake to The Ramones and so on.
A favourite is Seminal Rats who made quite a mark here in Australia. I’m good mates with the lead singer who if you met him is nothing like his stage persona :crazy_face:

Actually just about anything with a great bass line, great rhythm, and cool lyrics - I like story songs that get my blood flow going… However, I guess my two favorite genres are probably…

1. Classic Rock ('60’s-'70’s)

2. R&B

However I do enjoy a lot of Country Rock; Blue Eyed Soul; and Blues… Every once in awhile I’ll throw in something a little out of character on a cover though…

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

3 Likes

I’m S.I.T.S. (stuck in the seventies) myself, @Lanny . . . :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I don’t whitelist or hitlist music genres, but some are greylisted. Most electronic dance tracks for example. But even in that genre there are some exceptions.

I guess my favourite genre is German punkrock. But not the grungy garage style stuff, but kind of polished errr… commercial (?) punkrock.
I am talking about “Die Ärzte” mainly. (Die Toten Hosen probably fall in the same category)
Very successful German punkrock band that exists on and off roughly since I was born. They switched out the bassist two times though. Well I think the second one was just hired for touring and the third was a “real” member again.
They have changed over time and so have I but they still make great songs.

It’s also not like they just have the “old” fans. Usually after they get back together they get a new young audience & old fans. The new singles they release are usually very pop-like but on the album there’s a good deal of diversity again. Everyone of them writes songs and everyone of them sings so maybe that’s one of the secrets how they don’t get boring to me.

One fun/joke-song comes to mind when posting here.
I’ll translate - original rhymes of course

With drums and bass
listening to music is fun
once the guitar starts playing
everything is too late (too late)
because one doesn’t understand the vocals anymore
(guitar)
If you got drums and bass
the music’s already sounding round
but the loudest one is
of course still the guitarist!
(guitar)
2 Likes

Let’s see…
Classic Rock (60’s-70’s and some 80’s)
Anything Beatles and lately Country & Western (SiriusXM channel “Red White and Booze”)

A little less mainstream: 40’s Big Band and The Tijuana Brass.

2 Likes

Me too, but I have to extend the Classic Rock era into the 80s as well.

1 Like