Fear of failure/ first jam session

That about sums it all up. :+1:

4 Likes

Is this an actual Bluegrass group or just a bunch of people jamming to Bluegrass music?

I ask because most Bluegrass groups do not usually permit electric guitars or drums in their sessions and only have Banjos, Mandolins Acoustic guitars, and fiddles.

3 Likes

Yes really :rofl:
You did not answer the question.

Why are you interested in who I play music with? Surely the fact that Iā€™m out practicing stuff Iā€™ve learned from the B2B course should, as a music teacher yourself, fill your heart with joy? No?

1 Like

@barney, youā€™re a rebel.

5 Likes

Why so defensive?
I only asked if they were a Bluegrass group or just people playing Bluegrass music and was wondering if you were playing your Bass and what you did for Bass lines.

I asked because when I jam with the two Bluegrass groups in my area I have always used my acoustic guitar and when I asked about bringing my Bass along I was told by both they would think about it.

I plan to pick a couple of songs such as Poor Ellen Smith and The Ballad of Jed Clampett and work out some Bass lines to see if I can use my Bass with them. Just wondered what you did for Bass lines thatā€™s all.

1 Like

@Celticstar I just look at the chord progression. Observe whatā€™s Major, Minor, Dominant etc and then just choose appropriate notes from within those scales as I was taught to do on the excellent B2B course.
Hereā€™s what Iā€™ve been using as a memory jogger.

2 Likes

Donā€™t worry man - itā€™ll be a blast. I used to jam with mates back at uni and it was a great laugh - and no drugs or alcohol involved (it was a weekday). The most important thing on the first day IMO is to get to know everyone - the music is going to be kind of secondary. Just run though a couple of songs they know beforehand so you have a rough idea what to expect and when you get there try to have some fun.

Oh Iā€™m jealous

3 Likes

Thank you. Itā€™s all completely new to me. Everyone has been very cool

3 Likes

Dude, weā€™ve either been there or are there.

A dear friend who is a SPECTACULAR banjo player and sketchy guitarist has said we should get together ā€œand do musicā€ and I nearly had hives: youā€™re contemplating something far bigger and though I donā€™t know you at all, Iā€™m awash with pride that youā€™re prepping for this event. Go fellow Badass!

4 Likes

The best part is you got asked to jam. Not audition! Take a note pad. Theyā€™re going to be trying to remember how they played it the last time! And if they didnā€™t have a bass player before, then theyā€™ve just upgraded to you!! Lucky them!
Find the root notes. Play soft when itā€™s soft. Play loudest when itā€™s loud. Bass the world! Make ā€˜em get their own coffee.

5 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

Thank you. Go show them why bass players are the real thing. The banjo is great, but it donā€™t make the girls want to dance.

1 Like

Thank you.

I donā€™t play blue grass, but are there really key changes? Hmm, I didnā€™t know that. I always thought, probably incorrectly, that blue grass was straight forward root, root/fifth stuff in just one key. I need to look into this. Iā€™m hoping I learn something and expand my knowledge of a genre in which Iā€™m not completely knowledgeable. Huh! :thinking:

2 Likes

And i donā€™t know much, but i like watching girls dance.

4 Likes

My very first ā€œjamā€ way back in the late 70s was with a band named ā€œThe Headlightsā€ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦(later changed because too many people thought it was ā€œThe Head Liceā€!!!) We played some blues, some easy current rock, then the guitarist, who was invited by the keyboard player, broke into ā€œThe Theme from Bonanzaā€!!! I put my bass down and excused myself to the bathroom!!! I couldnā€™t stop laughing and ended up having to clean up my ā€œstray spraysā€ around the toilet!! Haha! True story! From that time on, I never got nervous about a jam or band tryout.

3 Likes

I played bass for a year in the college years. Twenty years later, someone heard I once played bass and invited me to jam with their band. I had zero equipment and had to borrow everything. Literally hadnā€™t played on twenty years. Going was one of the best decisions Iā€™ve madeā€¦

A year later I played with really good musicians and was easily the worst in the room. Learned so much and it was a great night. Felt epic as they all lifted me up.

Just give it a go. Focus on syncing with the kick drum and the chord progression (or even just the single note of the song key!) and thatā€™s it. Even with the chord progression you just have to play the one note that is the name of the chord, no arpeggios or anything like that. Anything beyond that is icing on the cake.

There is really very little at risk here besides pride and the flip side of that is missing the chance to become a bass god! :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

I think he might have meant chord changes :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes